A Tale of Two Cities: Omaha versus Wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Cities: Omaha versus Wichita

Two Midwestern cities. Two local billionaires (Koch and Buffett). Which one can boost prosperity? - The Los Angeles Times

By CORIE BROWN
    JULY 1, 20205 AM PST

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...ost-prosperity

"In the middle of America, without intention or, really, anyone noticing, a decades-long, real-world experiment shaped by the money, politics and eccentricities of two 80-something billionaires is underway in two equally white, Christian, Republican cities. Just as they left their imprints on a nation and a world, Charles Koch, who hails from Wichita, Kan., and Warren Buffett, a folksy son of Omaha, have changed the trajectories of their hometowns. Today, their cities, like many scattered across the plains, are working to reinvent themselves at a time when economies are threatened and a pandemic grows....

After months of analyzing government data, Chung declared Wichita in “crisis” in a presentation to city leaders. Among his findings: The flow of graduates returning home from the state’s universities had slowed to a trickle, and new people were reluctant to move to a place they viewed as insular and intolerant compared with similarly sized Midwestern cities.

Wichita, Chung warned, would simply fade away unless it invested in civic renewal. Wealthy citizens, he said, needed to step up and lead the effort to attract a new generation of innovators, entrepreneurs and investors. Three years later, when the Community Foundation asked him to gauge the city’s progress, Chung reported that Wichita was a “catastrophe.” There was still no investment, he said...."

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    Two Midwestern cities. Two local billionaires (Koch and Buffett). Which one can boost prosperity? - The Los Angeles Times

By CORIE BROWN
    JULY 1, 20205 AM PST

"In the middle of America, without intention or, really, anyone noticing, a decades-long, real-world experiment shaped by the money, politics and eccentricities of two 80-something billionaires is underway in two equally white, Christian, Republican cities. Just as they left their imprints on a nation and a world, Charles Koch, who hails from Wichita, Kan., and Warren Buffett, a folksy son of Omaha, have changed the trajectories of their hometowns. Today, their cities, like many scattered across the plains, are working to reinvent themselves at a time when economies are threatened and a pandemic grows....

After months of analyzing government data, Chung declared Wichita in “crisis” in a presentation to city leaders. Among his findings: The flow of graduates returning home from the state’s universities had slowed to a trickle, and new people were reluctant to move to a place they viewed as insular and intolerant compared with similarly sized Midwestern cities.

Wichita, Chung warned, would simply fade away unless it invested in civic renewal. Wealthy citizens, he said, needed to step up and lead the effort to attract a new generation of innovators, entrepreneurs and investors. Three years later, when the Community Foundation asked him to gauge the city’s progress, Chung reported that Wichita was a “catastrophe.” There was still no investment, he said...."
    Thanks for posting... a very interesting read. Hopefully, Wichita has received the 'wake-up' call.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

By CORIE BROWN
      JULY 1, 20205 AM PST

I'd say Wichita proved their "wokeness" by booting Trump last month.

Comment

Another factor I believe is the support the state of Nebraska provides to Omaha, while in contrast, the state of Kansas is more focused on JoCo, Missourah. JoCo obviously is made up of a hodgepodge of cities none of which is similar in size to Wichita. Few cultural attractions, no airport, less international business yet pulls badly needed attention, resources, and focus from the state’s largest city. I might be biased and incorrect,

regardless, I’ve always been a bit puzzled with what seems like a lack of monetary support from the Kochs. Could just be though that they don’t brag as much as Buffet

Comment

Well that seemed like an article with the soul purpose of slamming Koch.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Well that seemed like an article with the soul purpose of slamming Koch.
            I agree, but if it's true that his investment in Wichita depends on what party the mayor belongs to, I think it's valid criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I agree, but if it's true that his investment in Wichita depends on what party the mayor belongs to, I think it's valid criticism.
              It depends on if you think he’s obligated to invest or if he gets to choose what to invest in and when to invest. If he’s not obligated, then it’s a question of influence. Is it okay for money to be used as influence? If not, how do you stop it? One way would be to have a socialized economic system. Another would be to disallow donations entirely, or to cap it.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Ignoring the partisan politics of the comparo... Wichita does not receive a lot of investment from its successful residents. It's a bit of a "each man for himself" sort of town. Nothing specifically wrong with that at face value, but it does contribute to the chasm seen between Wichita and other peer cities - which Omaha is.

It pains me to say it, but Wichita has nothing on Omaha. Omaha feels like a small big city; Wichita feels like a large town. Some of that is metro size differences (900K vs 650K), but most of it not. Legitimately tons more happening in Omaha from a development, vibe, and culture perspective.

I have a lot of context too, not just a weekend in Omaha on business. It's where one half of my family originates. I'm there a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  Another factor I believe is the support the state of Nebraska provides to Omaha, while in contrast, the state of Kansas is more focused on JoCo, Missourah. JoCo obviously is made up of a hodgepodge of cities none of which is similar in size to Wichita. Few cultural attractions, no airport, less international business yet pulls badly needed attention, resources, and focus from the state’s largest city. I might be biased and incorrect,

regardless, I’ve always been a bit puzzled with what seems like a lack of monetary support from the Kochs. Could just be though that they don’t brag as much as Buffet
                  Omaha is NE's JoCo.

Comment

Here is my response to any Liberal or Leftist rag that complains about Koch...

Comment

And wow does that article suck when it comes to facts.

Comment

Koch does give tons of money away nationally. I don’t know if Buffett is the same.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          And wow does that article suck when it comes to facts.
                          LA Times wouldn't know a fact if it slapped them across the face. One of the worst rags out there.

Comment

By CORIE BROWN
                            JULY 1, 20205 AM PST

Meh

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

LA Times wouldn't know a fact if it slapped them across the face. One of the worst rags out there.
                              While that may be true, Wichita is still pretty stagnant. WSU's approach may be one of the few positives to help growth.

What are others on this board opinion on why Omaha has grown and strengthened itself so much better than Wichita? It would appear to me to be the ability to not rely so heavily on one or two industries/companies. Thoughts on how to attract more diversity and growth?

Comment

Working...
                              X