Best caliber for home defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best caliber for home defense

If you’re only going to use your gun for home defense, what caliber do you prefer?
    Livin the dream

12ga
    Go Shocks!

Comment

By gun do you mean handgun or long-gun?

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        By gun do you mean handgun or long-gun?

T

I left it open ended intentionally. I have seen folks that like an AR-15 pistol with laser sights and a suppressor.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I left it open ended intentionally. I have seen folks that like an AR-15 pistol with laser sights and a suppressor.
          AR-15 pistol for home defense... lol The muzzle flash alone would probably scare someone off. All that wasted gunpowder lighting up the room.

That's for tacticool uber elite bros on message boards.

You know what's really smart though? Keeping a pair of electronic shooting earmuffs next to your handgun. You put those on while you search the house and they actually increase the sounds around you. You can hear the faintest footsteps down a hallway, then if/when you fire, they will suppress the gunfire and protect your ears. Best of both worlds - like 007.

My vote would be for a pistol that you are comfortable shooting accurately. Tiny or huge pistols, no bueno. Capacity is king. A Glock with an extended magazine would be perfect. Shotguns are pretty cheap. Keep one with #4 buckshot loaded up as backup. Now you also have the choice of intimidating instead of firing. Cycling a couple shells as you walk down the stairs warning any mother****er that they best bounce could be effective.

Also, moving around corners with a long gun is not the best tactically. That's why I choose a pistol.

9mm hollowpoints are pretty ideal for inside a home. 45acp penetrates a little too much. Definintely no .45 FMJ. That will go through your entire house.

I shoot the FN Five-Seven. 21 rounds of boutique ammo alternate loaded between ballistic and hardened tips for expansion and armor piercing capability. The 5.7 does not over-penetrate. It either tumbles or expands (depending on bullet) after entering the target dumping all its energy inside.

I was a gun nerd for a couple years of Da 'Bums final term when he cried and wanted to ban everything. Since Trump has been in, I hardly even look at my gun(s) anymore. Funny how calming liberty and freedom can be.

T

Comment

AR-15 pistol for home defense... lol The muzzle flash alone would probably scare someone off. All that wasted gunpowder lighting up the room.

That's for tacticool uber elite bros on message boards.

You know what's really smart though? Keeping a pair of electronic shooting earmuffs next to your handgun. You put those on while you search the house and they actually increase the sounds around you. You can hear the faintest footsteps down a hallway, then if/when you fire, they will suppress the gunfire and protect your ears. Best of both worlds - like 007.

My vote would be for a pistol that you are comfortable shooting accurately. Tiny or huge pistols, no bueno. Capacity is king. A Glock with an extended magazine would be perfect. Shotguns are pretty cheap. Keep one with #4 buckshot loaded up as backup. Now you also have the choice of intimidating instead of firing. Cycling a couple shells as you walk down the stairs warning any mother****er that they best bounce could be effective.

Also, moving around corners with a long gun is not the best tactically. That's why I choose a pistol.

9mm hollowpoints are pretty ideal for inside a home. 45acp penetrates a little too much. Definintely no .45 FMJ. That will go through your entire house.

I shoot the FN Five-Seven. 21 rounds of boutique ammo alternate loaded between ballistic and hardened tips for expansion and armor piercing capability. The 5.7 does not over-penetrate. It either tumbles or expands (depending on bullet) after entering the target dumping all its energy inside.

I was a gun nerd for a couple years of Da 'Bums final term when he cried and wanted to ban everything. Since Trump has been in, I hardly even look at my gun(s) anymore. Funny how calming liberty and freedom can be.

T

@coldblooded i thought you were sporting a chopper these days?

Comment

For home defense against people, I like a 9 with critical defense because I have kids. I don’t want a big round and I am comfortable with my shot placement to make it count. For home defense against bears, I like a .45 Colt, 19.5gr H110 and a custom cast 365gr projectile with an 80% meplat. I forget the pressures but they are consistent with a 44 mag. I’d run a 44 but there’s no replacement for displacement.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

@coldblooded i thought you were sporting a chopper these days?
                You've lost me man. Bail me out will ya lol?

T

Comment

XB16L-e1492098102106.png

*sigh* I think I'm in the mood to stimulate the economy a little after recent events. The Israeli Tavor was the one rifle I felt was missing in my collection. Classic Firearms still has them at a reasonable price.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/iwi-...rd-rifle-xb16/

State of the art bullpup. Fully ambidextrous.

T

Comment

XB16L-e1492098102106.png

*sigh* I think I'm in the mood to stimulate the economy a little after recent events. The Israeli Tavor was the one rifle I felt was missing in my collection. Classic Firearms still has them at a reasonable price.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/iwi-...rd-rifle-xb16/

State of the art bullpup. Fully ambidextrous.

T

Reminds me of a Kriss Vector.
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                    X