The Country of CHAZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post

And he would have been so incredibly sexy too with that rock solid torso...and that deep, life altering voice. It is one of the great tragedies of our time that he was born with spatula hands
    Would a game of "catch" between EO and Phil Thommason have to be called "drop?"

I digress.

Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post

And he would have been so incredibly sexy too with that rock solid torso...and that deep, life altering voice. It is one of the great tragedies of our time that he was born with spatula hands
      PIn-up worthy!

T

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Since housing is most people's greatest asset it is definitely intertwines with poverty and hardly a conflation. What would happen to your net worth if I cut the value of your home by 2/3?
        You said that financial and housing policy was racist and my point was that it had nothing to do with racism. All impoverished races have that same difficulty. It’s not racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You said that financial and housing policy was racist and my point was that it had nothing to do with racism. All impoverished races have that same difficulty. It’s not racist.
          It was law against black people specifically until the early 1970s. It was racist, specifically against black people, and it did lead to a lack of wealth in the black community. That is a recent enough example to put black folks at a significant disadvantage.

Red-lining is now illegal and has been for nearly 50 years. There is certainly some carry-over from this effect. I would be in favor of some financial compensation for folks that were hurt directly by this law. Anyone under the age of about 70 isn’t entitled to this form of reparations.

Now after redlining, I don’t know if any laws that explicitly targeted black people. We do know that broken families lead to a significantly higher rate of poverty and crime. That’s a cycle that needs to be broken.
          Livin the dream

Comment

LBJ tried to destroy families by paying girls to have babies out of wedlock. It affected black families more than white families, and that was the intent.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              LBJ tried to destroy families by paying girls to have babies out of wedlock. It affected black families more than white families, and that was the intent.
              Ohhh! While I’m feeling all right wing and such....Margaret Sanger!
              Last edited by wufan; July 21, 2020, 11:52 AM.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

It was law against black people specifically until the early 1970s. It was racist, specifically against black people, and it did lead to a lack of wealth in the black community. That is a recent enough example to put black folks at a significant disadvantage.

Red-lining is now illegal and has been for nearly 50 years. There is certainly some carry-over from this effect. I would be in favor of some financial compensation for folks that were hurt directly by this law. Anyone under the age of about 70 isn’t entitled to this form of reparations.

Now after redlining, I don’t know if any laws that explicitly targeted black people. We do know that broken families lead to a significantly higher rate of poverty and crime. That’s a cycle that needs to be broken.
                How do you determine the difference between "red-lining" and a bank choosing to pass on "risky" loans in "risky" areas? Should a bank be forced to finance a loan on a dilapidated shitbox just because the applicant is black?

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

How do you determine the difference between "red-lining" and a bank choosing to pass on "risky" loans in "risky" areas? Should a bank be forced to finance a loan on a dilapidated shitbox just because the applicant is black?

T

Oh, I know about this stuff!

Up until the early 1970s it was totally legal to NOT give a loan to someone for the color of their skin if the governing body set jurisdiction. That was red-lining.

Sometime in the early 1970s they made this illegal. Since then, some folks have conflated legal red-lining with illegal discrimination. Now, since it is highly regulated, actual racial discrimination is extremely rare. Now if you qualify, you get a loan. Some will say that real estate agents will “steer” you to certain areas. If they do this, it is a cultural factor. REAs tend to be area focused. If you are black, you are more likely to sign up with an agent that services the black community. They will have more connections in the black community and will show you more properties in this area.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

A shooting inside the new country. One dead and another fighting for his life. Police were called and a FOX reporter at the border reported that police were repelled from entering the zone by rocks, etc. The two were transported by private vehicles to a hospital. CHAZ leaders told their residents that a white killed a black so it appears that racism extends into CHAZ borders. Some small business owners inside the borders are concerned.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/20/one-ki...cop-free-zone/

Comment

• I knew this was coming.

CHAZ LIVES MATTER!

T

Comment

• Meh...
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• For the life of me, I dont know why utilities haven't been turned off.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            For the life of me, I dont know why utilities haven't been turned off.
                            Mayor Jenny Durkan...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              For the life of me, I dont know why utilities haven't been turned off.
                              There still are real residents within their owned businesses within the blocked off area. Their businesses are currently not being taken total over or destroyed, however, they may have been told that could change if they leave or cause a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

There still are real residents within their owned businesses within the blocked off area. Their businesses are currently not being taken total over or destroyed, however, they may have been told that could change if they leave or cause a problem.
                                It's unfortunate, but those that live there, and, or, have businesses there, just might have to do without water, gas, power and sanitary sewers for a few days. Take away comfort and most people occupying would just move on. As it is, they are getting free utilities and sympathisers are supplying them with free food.

Come to think of it, maybe I should move there and get "free" sustinence.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X