Pearl Harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Harbor

Growing up, my Mother did not talk much. In her last couple of years, she opened up on a number of things that I had never heard before. One day, I went to visit her at the home, and it happened to be December 7. She shared with me that she was on a date with my Dad when the news came over the radio about the bombing of Pearl Harbor. She said that she broke down and wept uncontrollably. She was thinking of all the lives lost, and all that would be lost, and wondering if Dad would come back, knowing that he would enlist..........December 7, 1941.......never forget.....and be vigilant.

True.

Comment

The attack on Pearl Harbor was a devastating day in this nation’s history, though only the first of many hard days to come before final victory. But one marvels at the sheer level of miscalculation that went into the attack. That the Japanese leaders failed to appreciate the difference between the two nations’ industrial potential is bad enough, but how did they so badly misjudge the will of the American people? Of course they were not the first, nor will they be the last, to make this error. In fact, bin Laden made the same mistake. The question that should give us pause is: How many other nations’ leaders are making that same miscalculation today?

Or is it an error of judgment?

Comment

Maggie, I am just not so sure it would the error in judgment that it was back in 1941. The make-up of this nation today has drastically changed from a very family oriented rural populatin to a very mobile urban society than we were 70 years ago.

Sure, Americans raised up and got angry after 9/11, but how long did that last? Six months give or take.

Are we the most powerful military country in the world? Unquestionably. But, the major question is, are Americans willing to make the sacrifices that our parents and grandparents made during the four plus years of our WWII involvement if the need arose? I seriously doubt it.

Even though, we are involved today (as we were against being conquered by Germany and Japan) against an extremely dedicated enemy whose goal is complete world domination and the complete destruction of our and Western Europe's way of life, the majority of Americans write it off or simply refuse to acknowledge it. The old ignore it and it will go away. Got news for you, it ain't going to go away. Many countries in present day Europe are already in the beginning stages of being overtaken from within. The present Chancelor of Germany about a year ago flat came out voicing this very opinion.

Today, we are and have been in a war(s) for years and will continue to be for the next 50+ years. That is if we have the staying power to continue. Which I am about 30% sure we do.

In an article last week, entitled: A December to Remember - Patriotism Permeated - WWII Society, Mr. Cal Thomas wrote:

"After the Dec 7 attack, Americans rallied around a single patriotic cause - the salvation of Western democracy.

December 7, 1941 may be a day that will live in infamy, but that month, those years, that war revealed an American character still on display in our military today, though it's somewhat lacking in our civilian population." End of quote.

There are numerous reasons for the slacking or reduction in patriotism stemming from the our past and present governments, our schools, and most directly right down into our American families themselves.

There is of course no way to accurately measure patriotism in American today, but in my opinion, the word 'somewhat' should be replaced with the word 'sorrowfully' which more accurately describes our present condition.

Our numerous intelligence services (whom half of the country mistrusts or hates) have done a truly fantastic and amazing job of keeping this country safe from similar 9/11 attacks over the past 10 years. But my greatest fear, and that of many others, is that someday, somewhere, some idiot fanatic will explode a briefcase type nuclear weapon in one of our cities.

And what do we do then? I am thoroughly ashamed to tell you that the former editor of the Daytona Beach News Journal, and he was not the only one,in the country, wrote in the editorial page on Sep 12, 2001, "That we should not do anything in fear of future attacks."

Can this country, and very likely we will have to do it alone, except possibly with the help of one two other countries, win a long prolonged engagement against an asidious enemy that likely will take decades to defeat?

Militarily yes, but not without tremendous patriotism and sacrifices of the American people.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          Maggie, I am just not so sure it would the error in judgment that it was back in 1941. The make-up of this nation today has drastically changed from a very family oriented rural populatin to a very mobile urban society than we were 70 years ago.

Sure, Americans raised up and got angry after 9/11, but how long did that last? Six months give or take.

Are we the most powerful military country in the world? Unquestionably. But, the major question is, are Americans willing to make the sacrifices that our parents and grandparents made during the four plus years of our WWII involvement if the need arose? I seriously doubt it.

Even though, we are involved today (as we were against being conquered by Germany and Japan) against an extremely dedicated enemy whose goal is complete world domination and the complete destruction of our and Western Europe's way of life, the majority of Americans write it off or simply refuse to acknowledge it. The old ignore it and it will go away. Got news for you, it ain't going to go away. Many countries in present day Europe are already in the beginning stages of being overtaken from within. The present Chancelor of Germany about a year ago flat came out voicing this very opinion.

Today, we are and have been in a war(s) for years and will continue to be for the next 50+ years. That is if we have the staying power to continue. Which I am about 30% sure we do.

In an article last week, entitled: A December to Remember - Patriotism Permeated - WWII Society, Mr. Cal Thomas wrote:

"After the Dec 7 attack, Americans rallied around a single patriotic cause - the salvation of Western democracy.

December 7, 1941 may be a day that will live in infamy, but that month, those years, that war revealed an American character still on display in our military today, though it's somewhat lacking in our civilian population." End of quote.

There are numerous reasons for the slacking or reduction in patriotism stemming from the our past and present governments, our schools, and most directly right down into our American families themselves.

There is of course no way to accurately measure patriotism in American today, but in my opinion, the word 'somewhat' should be replaced with the word 'sorrowfully' which more accurately describes our present condition.

Our numerous intelligence services (whom half of the country mistrusts or hates) have done a truly fantastic and amazing job of keeping this country safe from similar 9/11 attacks over the past 10 years. But my greatest fear, and that of many others, is that someday, somewhere, some idiot fanatic will explode a briefcase type nuclear weapon in one of our cities.

And what do we do then? I am thoroughly ashamed to tell you that the former editor of the Daytona Beach News Journal, and he was not the only one,in the country, wrote in the editorial page on Sep 12, 2001, "That we should not do anything in fear of future attacks."

Can this country, and very likely we will have to do it alone, except possibly with the help of one two other countries, win a long prolonged engagement against an asidious enemy that likely will take decades to defeat?

Militarily yes, but not without tremendous patriotism and sacrifices of the American people.
          Maybe, in time, you will be proven correct. I have become a cynic about many things, but my faith in the American people, as a whole, has never wavered.

The industrial might, and frankly the patriotism and the will still exists across the broad spectrum of society. I see that faith, I have witnessed it (in NY and NJ – for many years)– perhaps it doesn’t have the staying power it once did. If so, America is in decline - if so it can hardly be called faith.....

Comment

This is one I would wholeheartedly hope that I and many others are absolutely wrong on. Because if not, freedom and democracy as we know it will be drastically changed forever.

Comment

I don't see how you can be wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X