Unethical Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unethical Politics

CBS news put out a story about insider trading in congress that I thought some would enjoy reading.

Here are some interesting quotes:

In mid September 2008 with the Dow Jones Industrial average still above ten thousand, Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke were holding closed door briefings with congressional leaders, and privately warning them that a global financial meltdown could occur within a few days. One of those attending was Alabama Representative Spencer Bachus.

While Congressman Bachus was publicly trying to keep the economy from cratering, he was privately betting that it would, buying option funds that would go up in value if the market went down.
    Nice to know our public officials are all working to improve things.

In 2005, Speaker Hastert got a $207 million federal earmark to build the Prairie Parkway through these cornfields near his home. What Jan Strasma and his neighbors didn't know was that Hastert had also bought some land adjacent to where the highway is supposed to go.

Strasma: And five months after this earmark went through he sold that land and made a bundle of money.
    Convenient wasn't it.

If you were a senator, Steve, and I gave you $10,000 cash, one or both of us is probably gonna go to jail. But if I'm a corporate executive and you're a senator, and I give you IPO shares in stock and over the course of one day that stock nets you $100,000, that's completely legal.

And former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her husband have participated in at least eight IPOs. One of those came in 2008, from Visa, just as a troublesome piece of legislation that would have hurt credit card companies, began making its way through the House. Undisturbed by a potential conflict of interest the Pelosis purchased 5,000 shares of Visa at the initial price of $44 dollars. Two days later it was trading at $64. The credit card legislation never made it to the floor of the House.
    Well now I have another reason to dislike Nancy Pelosi. I have come to the conclusion that nearly all of the people in Washington are merely there to enrich themselves and not serve the public. No wonder our country has become so screwed up.

Related...

So, yeah. All that White House demagoguery about prescription drug shortages I wrote about last week was simply smoke and mirrors to cover up rotten crony deals for his Big Pharma/Big Labor friends. I shed more light below on the chumminess between former SEIU thug-in-chief Andy Stern, fat cat Dem donor Ronald Perelman, and Obama […]

Comment

Working...
    X