Hong Kong protests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

Has changed? Show me a time in history where that isnt the norm.
    You need to study history more when in the past, the entire nation rationed many goods to support the war effort. Most companies were U.S. first. The strong middle class (working class) in the United States was built on an America First type of philosophy where Americans purchased American made goods before foreign made goods. Many companies were willing to bypass the bottom line to support our government and fellow citizens.

Check the 1940s and 50s and then to a lesser degree but still America first in the 60s through 90s. Globalization which was mainly a 21st Century gained steam mainly during the Clinton Administration and has taken over the thought police.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Made a few corrections.

To be clear, situations like this show that huge billion dollar companies only take actions that they believe will support their bottom line (frequently, something they must do if they are a publicly traded company). The NBA and Nike gain support when they stand behind people like Colin Kaepernick or the BLM movement. People overreact and think "whoa, these organizations really support free speech!" And then something like this comes along, and the organization stands to lose billions if they lose the support of the Chinese government, and they can't risk letting people speak out.

While I'm sure there are people that both oppose protests in HK while also supporting protests in the US, I would suspect it is a relatively small group of people.
      Made a few corrections to this, so that we can follow along with your point:

the bear.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        You need to study history more when in the past, the entire nation rationed many goods to support the war effort. Most companies were U.S. first. The strong middle class (working class) in the United States was built on an America First type of philosophy where Americans purchased American made goods before foreign made goods. Many companies were willing to bypass the bottom line to support our government and fellow citizens.

Check the 1940s and 50s and then to a lesser degree but still America first in the 60s through 90s. Globalization which was mainly a 21st Century gained steam mainly during the Clinton Administration and has taken over the thought police.
        Don't forget the middle class strongly opposed slavery, had the courage to fight against it, and won.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Made a few corrections to this, so that we can follow along with your point:

the bear.jpg
          I don't understand the point you are trying to make. The NBA is not trying to kowtow to Nike. The NBA/Nike/Apple/etc. are all trying not to offend China. The only part of the original cartoon that I find misleading is the Steve Kerr inclusion. It is definitely above Kerr's paygrade that the instruction comes from. Kerr, at the end of the day, is just an employee of a multi-billion dollar business. If the NBA loses China's support, many very rich individuals stand to lose all sorts of money. Kerr would lose some, but not nearly as much as the NBA as a whole or team owners. The NBA would much sooner have Kerr fired than lose the Chinese market.

Comment

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. The NBA is not trying to kowtow to Nike. The NBA/Nike/Apple/etc. are all trying not to offend China. The only part of the original cartoon that I find misleading is the Steve Kerr inclusion. It is definitely above Kerr's paygrade that the instruction comes from. Kerr, at the end of the day, is just an employee of a multi-billion dollar business. If the NBA loses China's support, many very rich individuals stand to lose all sorts of money. Kerr would lose some, but not nearly as much as the NBA as a whole or team owners. The NBA would much sooner have Kerr fired than lose the Chinese market.
            er,... ok. You asserted something about corporate America earlier in this thread? Did I misunderstand you?

Kerr has stated his opinions concerning this whole embarrassment. He's free to do so.

Comment

Amid democracy protests in HongKong, Xi threatens to “Crush bodies and Bones” to anyone who threatens To Split China. He sounds like a great country to live in. Anyone who argues for money over people and human rights is on the side of what’s good and moral. Right JD and ASM?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Amid democracy protests in HongKong, Xi threatens to “Crush bodies and Bones” to anyone who threatens To Split China. He sounds like a great country to live in. Anyone who argues for money over people and human rights is on the side of what’s good and moral. Right JD and ASM?
                While I can't speak for Awesome Sauce, I suspect you have misread my posts. I have rarely been accused of being on the side of "money over people."

I think if you reread my posts in this thread they should demonstrate a general distrust of big businesses.

Comment

Lol
                  Last edited by Awesome Sauce Malone; October 14, 2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

While I can't speak for Awesome Sauce, I suspect you have misread my posts. I have rarely been accused of being on the side of "money over people."

I think if you reread my posts in this thread they should demonstrate a general distrust of big businesses.
                    Looks like lebron was one of those "some people" you mentioned that could understand China's side of the story? Or is that beside the point?

Kerr gave that same impression, almost spitefully. They both seem to advocate restriction of 1st amendment rights, just like the Peoples Liberation Army, and, oh yeah, antifa. Blame big business my a**. Big business ain't got nothin' to do with their stupidity or hatred.
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; October 15, 2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Looks like lebron was one of those "some people" you mentioned that could understand China's side of the story? Or is that beside the point?

Kerr gave that same impression, almost spitefully. They both seem to advocate restriction of 1st amendment rights, just like the Peoples Liberation Army, and, oh yeah, antifa. Blame big business my a**. Big business ain't got nothin' to do with their stupidity or hatred.
                      LeBron is worth half a billion dollars. Yes, LeBron is "big business."

Comment

Corporations aren’t people.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Big business made him do it? Blame big business for his dishonesty? I don't think so.

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; October 15, 2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Sure, the NBA may have saved the $$ over in China this week, but I think they lost a lot of money in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                              Sure, the NBA may have saved the $$ over in China this week, but I think they lost a lot of money in the US.
                              I would be surprised if this hurts them that much in the U.S.

Comment

Hopefully a victory for free speech. And Democracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X