Hong Kong protests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong protests

The protests are escalating on the 70th anniversary of Chinese communism. Protestors are throwing Molotov cocktails and rocks and beating police with umbrellas and metal bars. Police are using teargas and chemical water cannons. One protestor shot by police.
    Livin the dream

It will be interesting to see if the NBA rolls under china anger. Apple already peed down their leg and submitted it to China this week.

Comment

60 minutes did an expose on HongKong tonight. There was a 71 year old millionaire who escaped from Mainland China to HK in 1962. He talked about losing freedoms and said that as a person with a soul, he was not willing to just make a comfortable living but not have any control (freedom) of how he lives. That’s what Communist Chinese rule expects. He doesn’t want to die but is willing if that is what freedom requires. His house was being watched by people with cameras who wouldn’t talk to reporters (obviously Chinese informants). I paraphrased his statements. At some point China will probably militarily suppress the HK citizenry and since there are a million who are protesting, it could be much more ugly than Tiannenmen Square. It’s ironic that Apple, Google, the NBA (maybe I should say Nike) are taking the side of Red China and leaving the HK citizens to fight the fight against Red Chinese with the protesters love of western democracy over the rule of the dictatorship of Red China.

Comment

My personal opinion is that we should sanction the Chinese but not get involved with any military action.

Note to readers: I have no experience in foreign diplomacy.
        Livin the dream

Comment

China leadership is trying to walk a fine line because they need Hong Kong. Hong Kong banking system is built on the western system. So it is trusted at the moment. The Chinese banking system is corrupt. If the Chinese go all in on suppressing Hong Kong they risk losing the trust in the Hong Kong system. I have heard that the Hong Kongians have dual British citizenship (it evidently a special circumstance)- so the powerful in Hong Kong do have the option of leaving.

Comment

I don't think anyone seriously thinks that military action in Hong Kong is even an option. However, the Hong Kong people definitely see their freedoms being chipped away and our businesses (from the CEO's down to share holders) seem to side with the Chinese government and turn their backs on human rights. I don't see the Hong Kong people winning, but it seems like our culture has changed to the point where we no longer value human rights when they push back on our pocket books. That's sad.

Comment

The very people that support protesting the American flag and the National Anthem _today_, because the US had slavery over 150 years ago; are also giving their support to the government of a country currently ruling over one billion political, financial, spiritual, geographical, social, and occupational Chinese slaves.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                I don't think anyone seriously thinks that military action in Hong Kong is even an option. However, the Hong Kong people definitely see their freedoms being chipped away and our businesses (from the CEO's down to share holders) seem to side with the Chinese government and turn their backs on human rights. I don't see the Hong Kong people winning, but it seems like our culture has changed to the point where we no longer value human rights when they push back on our pocket books. That's sad.
                Has changed? Show me a time in history where that isnt the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

I hope you aren't trying to equate OUR country with China. I will assume you aren't unless you say differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    A COMPANY that support A PERSON THAT PROTESTED DURING the National Anthem _today_, because OF RACIAL INEQUALITIES TODAY; are also OPPOSED TO PROTESTING the government of a country currently ruling over one billion political, financial, spiritual, geographical, social, and occupational Chinese slaves BECAUSE IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THEIR BOTTOM LINE.
                    Made a few corrections.

To be clear, situations like this show that huge billion dollar companies only take actions that they believe will support their bottom line (frequently, something they must do if they are a publicly traded company). The NBA and Nike gain support when they stand behind people like Colin Kaepernick or the BLM movement. People overreact and think "whoa, these organizations really support free speech!" And then something like this comes along, and the organization stands to lose billions if they lose the support of the Chinese government, and they can't risk letting people speak out.

While I'm sure there are people that both oppose protests in HK while also supporting protests in the US, I would suspect it is a relatively small group of people.
                    Last edited by jdshock; October 14, 2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Made a few corrections.

They can't risk letting people speak out.
                      Well summed jd, if a bit short sighted (is China a corporation?).

Who is enforcing these "corporate" rules? Or, said another way, who supports these corporate rules, because, hey (other than China).....
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; October 14, 2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

The First Amendment anyone?

SMGDH

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I hope you aren't trying to equate OUR country with China. I will assume you aren't unless you say differently.
                          I hope you aren't trying to say thats all you comprehended out of my statement. I will assume you dont unless you say differently.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

The First Amendment anyone?

SMGDH
                            In the land of the free, where the blacks enslaved
                            Three-fifths of a man, I believe's the phrase

Comment

Blacks are not covered by the First Amendment?

No, it's China that dissuades free speech. Get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X