"Progressivism" at WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Progressivism" at WSU

Here is perfect example of "I believe in free speech, unless I don't agree with it" on our very own campus, from an SGA rep. I know it's only a college kid, but it fits with what we're seeing from national Democratic politicians, where progressivism trumps the Constitution.

Hmm. Republicans are often called Fascists, Racists, and Hitlerian (more and more all the time). Many of these people compare the U.S. and Israel to the Nazi's, and Communist Russia, and often people on the left respect what happens in China, Venezuela, and Iran more. For example, the other day, MSNBC put a Chinese government run media person on the air to defend Chinese economic policies vs. the United States. What a crock. LOL

"I will say that Wichita State is a place where progressive movement should be required" (says a WSU Student Senator).

This statement sounds like a statement that would be from Russia, Saudia Arabia, Iran, China, etc.

Someone at the university should be required to teach this student something about how democracies really work. At least she is abiding by the First Amendment and utilizing her freedom of Speech, no matter how "dim" she is.

We are fortunate to have a Constitution which requires the First Amendment compared to the UK where their government goes only by "tradition, and past practices".

Comment

Progressives are the modern day puritans. A lot of big picture correlations between the two.

She’s a poli sci major, so she should probably worry about spelling names correctly on coffee cups.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
        abdullah_sharif commented
        Editing a comment
        in a few years, she'll graduate to bartending, then to the united states senate. by that time all of her student loans will be forgiven. not sure where the money will come from... sure as hell won't be me.

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Here is perfect example of "I believe in free speech, unless I don't agree with it" on our very own campus, from an SGA rep. I know it's only a college kid, but it fits with what we're seeing from national Democratic politicians, where progressivism trumps the Constitution.

The Twitter feed didn't load for me, so I am posting a link to it.

https://twitter.com/Ray1Marie/status...09693930319872

Odd, that link isn't working. Was it deleted? What did it say?
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

The senator quoted this tweet:

The WSU Senator "Rachel" said:

As a senator, I believe that although we must respect the freedom of speech/self expression, I will say that Wichita State is a place where progressive movement should be required and I will not stop being an advocate for progressional rather than reversional legislation.

Comment

snip_20190905093026.jpg

Comment

I'm encouraged by some of the quotes from SGA members. Although the 20 abstentions is curious. I'm guessing those 20 are against the group but didn't have the courage to go on record.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              This is great! It finally paves the way for the counter-club I am founding called Shockers for Death!

Comment

The abstentions most likely know that they shouldn't block this group (Right to Life group) but are still against them, and know that their vote won't count because the others will do the right thing and vote to allow.

If on another campus, Rachel would very likely be a member of Antifa behind a mask.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rachel...or should I say racist?! F.

First one to define the origin of that gets the prize of the day.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                The abstentions most likely know that they shouldn't block this group (Right to Life group) but are still against them, and know that their vote won't count because the others will do the right thing and vote to allow.
                Which I think is an abdication of their responsibility to participate in the governing body and represent the students. Unless someone had a conflict of interest or truly could not decide their position (which should be extremely rare), it's cowardly to abstain.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree. We’ve also seen it happen in Congress. Example is when the Senate brought up the non binding resolution of the Green Deal to a vote. There are countless others too.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

If on another campus, Rachel would very likely be a member of Antifa behind a mask.
                It is also possible that some of the abstentions may be from members opposed to censoring the Shockers For Life group (even if they may not agree with their perspective) but are afraid of repercussions if the did vote to allow. Either from their peers or perhaps even from some of their professors. They may feel like an abstention is a way of communicating they don't support the ideology of he Shocker Life group but believe they are entitled to their free speech rights. Hard to generalize too much about what was behind each abstention.

Comment

• RoyalShock
                  RoyalShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If that's the case (and it very well may be), I think that's also a problem. If you can't defend a yes vote in favor of free speech and Constitutional rights, we are in a bad, bad place.

If someone is afraid of voting repercussions, they don't belong on a representative body.

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well RoyalShock , if you hadn't already noticed, I'd suggest you hold on to your ass.

• RoyalShock
                  RoyalShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, ShockTalk , the vocal minority in this country already has us there. If their views become more mainstream, I worry about our republic.

Also one reason for abstaining in college is because you got hammered the night before and forgot to get your ass to the meeting.

Actually, that's even more likely in Congress. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Also one reason for abstaining in college is because you got hammered the night before and forgot to get your ass to the meeting.

Actually, that's even more likely in Congress. Interesting.
                  beast.jpg

Sure it is... Just get a load of this Dipsomaniac.

Comment

RoyalShock commented

If that's the case (and it very well may be), I think that's also a problem. If you can't defend a yes vote in favor of free speech and Constitutional rights, we are in a bad, bad place.

If someone is afraid of voting repercussions, they don't belong on a representative body.
                    Interestingly, this very situation was discussed last night on the Laura Ingrahma show and yes it is a problem. A K-State professor even earned a call out during this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                    X