Nipsey Hussle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nipsey Hussle

I'm actually asking a honest question. I know very little and would like some insight if anyone here knows.

I understand this guy was a fairly popular rapper. I saw Russell Westbrook saying his double triple double was for his boy, Nipsey. Maybe they were friends, I don't know. But his death seemed to be celebrated widely throughout the media as a kind of hero that had made progress with gang violence.

Serious question...what had he done to curtail gang violence? If I understood correctly, he was planning to meet with police to discuss either the day he was killed or shortly thereafter. Do we know what he was proposing?

He is a self admitted member of the Rollin' 60 Crips....did he give that up?

I also read he wrote a song called FDT or eff Donald Trump. I didn't figure he was a fan of the President, but that seems a bit harsh, BUT I don't know the first damned thing about rap or being in a gang so I'm asking....why is he being celebrated so much?

He seems to be a gang member (of one of the most notorious gangs ever), and suggests violence towards the President. That doesn't seem to me to be someone we should be celebrating, BUT I don't know what he was doing so if someone can enlighten me I'd much appreciate it.

Never heard of him. But sounds like you might want to re-post on Illinois State's forum.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
      abdullah_sharif commented
      Editing a comment
      now kung... why would you post something so offensive..........................and hilariously funny?

Prior to his death, most rap fans were unfamiliar with him. He surely was no Tupac who I have seen some individuals try to compare him to.

Most deaths are tragic, especially when violent. However, as with you, I do not understand the outpouring other than everyone wanting to be part of the "in" crowd.
    The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Nipsey rapped about how he had "32 shots in his Mac-10". Guess he needed 33...

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

What else is happening in the news?

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I'm actually asking a honest question. I know very little and would like some insight if anyone here knows.

I understand this guy was a fairly popular rapper. I saw Russell Westbrook saying his double triple double was for his boy, Nipsey. Maybe they were friends, I don't know. But his death seemed to be celebrated widely throughout the media as a kind of hero that had made progress with gang violence.

Serious question...what had he done to curtail gang violence? If I understood correctly, he was planning to meet with police to discuss either the day he was killed or shortly thereafter. Do we know what he was proposing?

He is a self admitted member of the Rollin' 60 Crips....did he give that up?

I also read he wrote a song called FDT or eff Donald Trump. I didn't figure he was a fan of the President, but that seems a bit harsh, BUT I don't know the first damned thing about rap or being in a gang so I'm asking....why is he being celebrated so much?

He seems to be a gang member (of one of the most notorious gangs ever), and suggests violence towards the President. That doesn't seem to me to be someone we should be celebrating, BUT I don't know what he was doing so if someone can enlighten me I'd much appreciate it.
        Yeah, I haven't done a ton of research into his background or anything, but most news articles seemed to discuss the meeting with the police, but it always seemed to suggest it was the first meeting. It didn't seem like there was a ton of history in terms of curtailing gang violence. I feel like I saw a quote from someone at the LAPD talking about Nipsey Hussle's work or commitment toward curtailing gang violence, but I wasn't able to find it again after a quick search.

All that to say, you have to walk a line with the prodigal son, right? As a society, we should want to encourage people to sit down and work with police officers. Even if they are currently, or were formerly, members of a gang. When someone like Nipsey Hussle is killed, if we just say "another gang member who got what he deserved..." it does little to encourage more people to schedule those meetings. I do think it's disingenuous to act like he was always a saint, but I also think there is a benefit to highlighting the positive step of the meeting. I won't pretend to know what it's like to try to leave a gang, but I suspect that it's easier if you believe society will reward and praise your efforts to change.

This is obviously a particularly weird situation because everything I've seen suggests that the killing was not gang related.

Comment

i personally don't trust the police, so i'd never talk to them without an attorney present (for anything).. but now that weed is legal in california, there is no need to be worried about most interactions with the police or stopping by the station for a chat.

Comment

I have no issues talking to the police. I have white privilege.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
            X