Iowa Announcer Suspended for Rest of Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Announcer Suspended for Rest of Season

Almost put this in the Around the NCAA, but didn't want to upset anyone mixing "politics and sports".

"“Twelve threes on 22 made baskets. That’s some pretty good long-range shooting," Dolphin said. "And then Fernando was King Kong at the end of the game.”

Hansen replied, “Yeah, he was. And they had done a really good job, Gary, for the most part rebounding.”

Dolphin released a statement in the release, apologizing for his language."

That’s some really poor announcing. Fernando doesn’t look anything like King Kong.
    Livin the dream

Comment

seriously?

Comment

I wish people would call me He-Man, or Conan the Barbarian or something to that tune. I would say thank you and wouldn’t even make them apologize or be suspended.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          I wish people would call me He-Man, or Conan the Barbarian or something to that tune. I would say thank you and wouldn’t even make them apologize or be suspended.
          Whatever, Ron Jeremy.
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

What I find odd about all this is that this stems from old history that no longer applies today. Humans and great apes are related no matter what your skin color under the order Hominidae. If a person doesn't understand this and intentionally uses this description maliciously to describe someone, they are probably beyond caring or hope. If they use it as the sportscaster did, which was actually as a compliment, what good are you really doing if he gets suspended.
            It doesn't do anything to change history and people do not have a switch attached that automatically filters everything.
            If you really want to take the high road on this particular incident and show your not petty but understanding as an adult human being, the black community leaders will write / call in to the university and show understanding and ask he not be suspended. That's how you mend fences, particularly when no ill will was intended in the first place.

Comment

people are so sensitive these days... wonder if that'll put a chink in gary dolphin's armor?

Comment

• Dave Stalwart
                Dave Stalwart commented
                Editing a comment
                I call for Abdullah sharifs suspension for this solid joke here

Gorilla Glue endorsements are an accident waiting to happen.

When did intent become synonymous with insensitivity which in turn became synonymous with irrational race baiting?

Doesnt the reasonable person standard exist when deciding whether to hammer somebody with a suspension?

Yet these people never fight back. They just apologize for something they shouldn’t and move on.

Comment

King Kong is a legit American cultural icon that has nothing to do with race and should be as allowable in conversation as Godzilla, T. rex, the kraken or the hulk, etc.

What a dumb thing to have happen to you as a talented professional.

Comment

With like 22 years of experience and never once being called out as a racist in that timeframe.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                  X