No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please explain this to me?

#OccupyWallStreet - Frances Fox Piven and Russell Simmons Address the General Assembly - PFB

:noidea:

I do know this - somewhere Steve Martin is smiling.

Explain this to me. Other than regular snark. What is wrong, what is right.....

George Will

Warren is (as William F. Buckley described Harvard economist John Kenneth Galbraith) a pyromaniac n a field of straw men: She refutes propositions no one asserts. Everyone knows thiat all striving occurs in a social context, so all attainments are conditioned by their context. This does not, however, entail a collectivist political agenda.

From Elizabeth Warren, the proper case for liberalism

Accomplished people benefit from advantages created by earlier generations (of parents whom we didn’t choose and taxpayers whom we’ve never met) and by the simple fact that they live in a country that provides opportunities that are not available everywhere. The successful thus owe quite a lot to the government and social structure that made their success possible.

I should be a better person, but that is just too painful to watch.

I don't understand why people won't learn from the mistakes of the past. Many of the thoughts and actions of today mimic the late 20s and 30s. Everyone then thought big business was evil and a lot of people didn't even want to be associated with big business, even when they were they would hide it.

Most young people are stupid, some through their own fault, some because they've been taught so poorly and some because they just don't know any better but mostly because they haven't experienced enough of the real world to make informed sound decisions.

Our country is heading down a slippery slope....I fear we may not be able to stop it. The 20s and 30s might look like a picnic before it's all over and done.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      I should be a better person
      Me too. I should be a better person - we all should. But I want someone to explain what this means. "This" meaning what the heck is Pivens talking about? The kids I don't focus on - because:

Life of Brian

Sheep will be sheep.

Comment

I don't understand why people won't learn from the mistakes of the past. Many of the thoughts and actions of today mimic the late 20s and 30s. Everyone then thought big business was evil and a lot of people didn't even want to be associated with big business, even when they were they would hide it.

Most young people are stupid, some through their own fault, some because they've been taught so poorly and some because they just don't know any better but mostly because they haven't experienced enough of the real world to make informed sound decisions.

Our country is heading down a slippery slope....I fear we may not be able to stop it. The 20s and 30s might look like a picnic before it's all over and done.
        If we end up repeating the 20s and 30s, look for tax rates to go up. There was the Revenue Act of 1932 which raised the top income tax rate from 25% to 63%, the estate tax from 20% to 45%, and the corporate tax rate from 12% to 13.75%.

Two years later the Revenue Act of 1934 was passed which produced more tax increases, and a year later the Revenue Act of 1935 produced still more tax increases.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker

If we end up repeating the 20s and 30s, look for tax rates to go up. There was the Revenue Act of 1932 which raised the top income tax rate from 25% to 63%, the estate tax from 20% to 45%, and the corporate tax rate from 12% to 13.75%.

Two years later the Revenue Act of 1934 was passed which produced more tax increases, and a year later the Revenue Act of 1935 produced still more tax increases.
          Well, that fixed everything, right?? :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker

And?

Comment

I wonder sometimes how much worse a job the younger crowd could do compared to the people currently running things. The federal debt is insane and the states are not much better. For God's sake - Arizona sold its state capital becuase of budget issues!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
                I wonder sometimes how much worse a job the younger crowd could do compared to the people currently running things. The federal debt is insane and the states are not much better. For God's sake - Arizona sold its state capital becuase of budget issues!!

http://www.fox11az.com/news/Arizona-...-81756702.html
                Hey, I'm all for throwing them all out and starting over.

Comment

So - what are these young ones advocating or repeating or...

I read their list of demands - and, silly me, I was afraid those demands would be unrealistic.

Sorry, I am not sure they can do better and confident they don't know better.

Sheep is what they are - demonstrably so.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                    I read their list of demands - and, silly me, I was afraid those demands would be unrealistic.
                    An amazing accomplishment since there is no official "list". Per their website the only list out there was made by a forum post (see admin comment in link). Believe every forum rumor you hear and you will have MSU going to conference USA. ;-)

Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and

Oh, and just fyi, I do not endorse anything these demonstrators are advocating (what ever that may be). My post was a criticism of the politicians that are ruining this country.

Comment

An amazing accomplishment since there is no official "list". Per their website the only list out there was made by a forum post (see admin comment in link). Believe every forum rumor you hear and you will have MSU going to conference USA. ;-)

Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and

Oh, and just fyi, I do not endorse anything these demonstrators are advocating (what ever that may be). My post was a criticism of the politicians that are ruining this country.

If it is on the Internet it must be true. For some reason your link won’t work; but I believe that is what I read. However, a few days ago there was no disclaimer from the administrator.

Notwithstanding, the list of demands (which is quite long) seemed representative of what I have seen. The funny thing is they appear to be running a commune more than a protest. They have established a small communitarian village, which is punctuated by a small cabal of the angry, the insane, and the ignorant. Nothing I have seen is representative of a serious movement, and even less is indicative of any substantive thought. Within twenty yards, I saw, often self-contradictory, signs against nuclear weapons, tax loopholes, the tea party, cuts to government spending, and the bailout; and for the legalization of drugs, high-speed rail, free college education, redistribution of wealth, and confiscatory taxation. It is telling that the most coherent signs in the park are the ones advertising the table offering free quiche and lentils.

Comment

I like how the repetitive chanting (supposedly because they don't/can't have access to a mega-phone) mimics a re-enforcing ritualistic "brain-wash."

There are crazies everywhere. I read on-line that the Phelps group was protesting Steve Jobs funeral and one member was tweeting about it from his iPhone. I guess God hates America and the proof behind it is that Steve Jobs has passed away.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

The generation you have running the country now is all the people that were killing their brain cells in the 60's and 70's - so what would you expect.

Comment

Greetings from 'Occupied' California

The movement's manifesto (to say nothing of this unofficial list of demands) reads like a Marxist child's letter to a Santa Claus his doctrinaire parents forgot to tell him doesn't exist. Rather than a genuine populist uprising, more accurate to call these demonstrations a novel exercise in the ancient art of political street theater. Nothing against street theater, of course.

Not bad......even better:

You Say You Want a Revolution - What do the Wall Street protesters want? You know, stuff

The cardboard carpet is both adorably predictable and a little creepy: BILDERBERGERS WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE; MY PARENTS WERE FORCED FED A PREDATORY LOAN THEY COULDN’T AFFORD! THANKS HANK PAULSON!; WHERE’S MY FORESKIN? END MALE GENITAL MUTILATION. On one side, Japanese tourists take pictures and Scoop Bradys like me take notes; on the other, drab students scribble more bon mots, play guitar, or catch some shut-eye on a sea of cruddy tarps. There’s the obligatory drum circle to the east, a little cigarette-rolling enclave in the back. The ambitious give out pamphlets around the perimeter.

I chatted with some of the throng. All wanted me to know they were speaking only for themselves, not the group. So what’s the endgame here? “Uh . . . that’s hard to explain,” said Moses, a nice young man. His answer was a nonsensical roundabout, but he used the phrase “socio-economic” a lot. He implied he was unemployed, so I inquired about a dream job. “To be a decent human being . . . to not live in reaction to a market.” Gotcha.

Becca, a sweet “organic gardener” from Brooklyn, was there to “end a capitalist system that treats people like cattle” and live in an America where everyone has “equal wealth.” She wanted a country with a “high tax,” a la “Sweden and Finland,” to ensure “personal well-being.” (Those Scandinavian examples both have a much lower corporate tax rate—26 percent and 26.3 percent, respectively— than the U.S.’s 35 percent rate, but let’s not get hung up on details.) Then the irony gods flexed their muscles as a friend interrupted Becca; she handed him her Visa card to order something over the phone. The revolution will not be televised, but it will be magnetized.(emphasis added)

Comment

If it is on the Internet it must be true. For some reason your link won’t work; but I believe that is what I read. However, a few days ago there was no disclaimer from the administrator.

Notwithstanding, the list of demands (which is quite long) seemed representative of what I have seen. The funny thing is they appear to be running a commune more than a protest. They have established a small communitarian village, which is punctuated by a small cabal of the angry, the insane, and the ignorant. Nothing I have seen is representative of a serious movement, and even less is indicative of any substantive thought. Within twenty yards, I saw, often self-contradictory, signs against nuclear weapons, tax loopholes, the tea party, cuts to government spending, and the bailout; and for the legalization of drugs, high-speed rail, free college education, redistribution of wealth, and confiscatory taxation. It is telling that the most coherent signs in the park are the ones advertising the table offering free quiche and lentils.
                              So when we strip that post of the obfuscation its that you read a list that is not representative of the "group" occupying wall street. Correct?

Another site is allowing people to make proposed demands and allowing voting.

Comment

Working...
                              X