Why Do We Even Buy Anything From China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do We Even Buy Anything From China

A major U.S. telecommunications company discovered manipulated hardware fromSuper Micro Computer Inc. in its network and removed it in August, fresh evidence of tampering in China of critical technology components bound for the U.S., according to a security expert working for the telecom company.
    Our country is outsourcing our pharma to China and getting substandard products back.

"If we were ever in an international incident with China, they would literally have their hands around our necks in terms of critical drugs."

“China doesn’t have anything like the consumer protection laws and product liability laws like the United States does,”

My company gets a few pharma products from China. It’s a problem...Asia India. I have lots of anecdotes.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Difficult to avoid purchasing lower priced products not manufactured in China but I try!

My work experience exposed me to their poor quality control and their focused efforts/successes stealing IP, manufacturing processes, etc.

Comment

Hit up Google for images comparing the Lockheed F35, and China’s “new” J31.

They didn’t even try to so much as hide the design ripoff.

Outside of producing cheap-ish consumer products for the West, China’s second pastime is stealing intellectual property from same, of course when they’re not otherwise busy playing “here, hold my beer and watch this” on human rights violations.

Comment

Why do we buy anything from or produce anything in China? Because it's cheap.

We sold out the American worker on the promise of a higher standard of living for all via cheap goods. (As long as the American worker found a new job...)

Enter Wal-Mart.

Thanks Bill!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Hit up Google for images comparing the Lockheed F35, and China’s “new” J31.

They didn’t even try to so much as hide the design ripoff.

Outside of producing cheap-ish consumer products for the West, China’s second pastime is stealing intellectual property from same, of course when they’re not otherwise busy playing “here, hold my beer and watch this” on human rights violations.
          china-stealth-fighter.jpg
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

The comments are worth a read lol.

F22 Raptor is #1 and it's not even close.

Our pilots don't even train for dogfighting anymore. Pilots just take off, scan the world, release missiles, then go back to land. Soon we won't even have humans in the plane and that will be the turning point for flight dynamics. No longer will we have to worry about a pilot passing out (we really don't now as the plane can fly itself). But we'll build planes that will turn the kind of G's that would kill a human.

T

Comment

MW-GE098_b21_20_20180221084000_ZH.jpg?uuid=b6c1629a-170c-11e8-b97d-9c8e992d421e.jpg
              Parts of this ^^ bad boy will be made right here in Doo-Dah.

I suspect China will have a bit more trouble copying this technology.

SIT China. Good boy.

T

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                If the plans to build said plane are on a computer, China already has them.

• SB Shock
                SB Shock commented
                Editing a comment
                Kung is exactly right. And the F22 has probably bought electronic components that have incorporated component built in China. It will be Ceylons vs Colonial Fleet all over again - all the net connected aircraft will be turned off.

The Department of Defense will have to ramp up its cybersecurity efforts now that it's planning to spend $1.66 trillion to develop major weapons systems. According to a new report (PDF) by the Government Accountability Office, nearly all of Pentagon's weapons systems are vulnerable to cyberattacks. The DoD, the report reads, didn't make cybersecurity a priority, even though GAO has been warning it for decades about the risks it's taking by not making sure its systems are properly protected. That leaves the nation's weapons, such missiles and drones, susceptible to attacks meant to take over their controls.

It's hard for me to believe that the U.S. Defense Department is as vulnerable as people claim. "We got the password in nine seconds." I mean, puuulease.

We had people hacking the web in America before the rest of the world even had PC's. We invented the term hacking. I've got to believe that some of the nastiest, dirtiest hackers on the planet are working for the CIA/NSA/DHS.

As a lil' tyke I had a Commodore 64, was getting online (pre-internet) via Compuserve on a 2400 baud modem, and was programming in Basic while the Chinese were doing breast strokes across their human waste-laden rice paddies. Could our latest generations be slipping behind? Most definitely. They are worthless or too busy protesting some social right they believe they are entitled to. But the old school hackers from my generation are still out there and they have a total understanding of the architecture of all things. You might call them digital gods.

If you don't believe the U.S. leads the world in hacking I would invite you to watch the movie Snowden at your earliest convenience. It's a marvelous documentary on just how serious the U.S. effort is in the hacking world.

T

Comment

David Lightman showed the U.S. how vulnerable the military is. That was over 30 years ago. I'm sure that they've updated the WOPR since then.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Snowden to the rescue!!!

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                    We had people hacking the web in America before the rest of the world even had PC's. We invented the term hacking. I've got to believe that some of the nastiest, dirtiest hackers on the planet are working for the CIA/NSA/DHS.
                    Yes, our digital thieves are capable of stealing their information more efficiently than they can steal our information. But this isn't a problem of how efficient you can steal information -- it's a problem of how to prevent them from stealing our information at all. Unfortunately solving this problem doesn't have much to do with who has the best hackers.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Then if we can agree that we have the best hackers, couldn't we then conclude that our hackers know the general methodology of other (weaker) hackers allowing us to devise countermeasures? The only way I can imagine our defenses being pierced at all would be due to the sheer number of enemy countries pinging us at any given moment. Yes we're the best, but everyone on the planet is looking for a way into our systems. Ants aren't particularly strong but their sheer numbers will overwhelm most problems they face.

T

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mostly, yes. The problems are manifold but the main culprits as I see it are a) humans will be humans and not follow strict procedures such as using a different password under each service that they sign up for, using dumb passwords, not recognizing a phishing attempt, etc, and b) coders are writing millions of new lines of code each day, introducing new attack vectors into their respective software, c) keeping software up to date on all systems is a tricky and expensive problem, d) the sheer volume of foreign hackers is overwhelming.

Passwords suck. I hate passwords, I have like 50 of them and can't keep them straight. Then I end up calling IT to reset a password I can't remember and because I have no fewer than ten passwords that I must change every 90 days....... I hate passwords!

Telemetry security is the answer. The sooner we can get all systems to utilize fingerprint, Retina, face recognition etc, the better.

Oh, and if I could get my mother in law to not open the phishing crap, that would be great.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LastPass is your friend. And this coming from a guy that always hated using password managers.

• ShockBand
                      ShockBand commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LastPass rocks!

Credit to SBshock and Wufan

Comment

Fooking Chineer.
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                      X