DOJ.....I think I'm gonna be sick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOJ.....I think I'm gonna be sick...

I'm no lawyer, but this is absurd. U.S. Attorney's Office Rejects Family of Murdered Border Patrol Agent as Crime Victims
    The family asked to intervene as victims in the case against Jamie Avila, the 23-year-old Phoenix man who purchased the guns used to kill Terry. Such motions are routinely approved by prosecutors, but may be opposed by defense attorneys.

However in this case, U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke argues because the family was not "directly or proximately harmed" by the illegal purchase of the murder weapon, it does not meet the definition of "crime victim" in the Avila case. Burke claims the victim of the Avila's gun purchases, "is not any particular person, but society in general."
    Coffey and others wonder if Burke has a conflict. It was his office that led Operation Fast and Furious. The operation, while executed by agents for the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, was managed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Emory Hurley. Hurley drafted the response to the family's motion. It was signed by Burke.
    You can put me in the "and others" category. Could there be any other reason?
    Under the federal Crime Victims Rights Act, the Terry family would have the right to confer with prosecutors and speak at Avila's sentencing. Some speculate that the U.S. Attorney's Office may cut a deal with Avila in exchange for information to be used against his associates. That deal could mean little or no jail time, and a controversial sentencing day in the courtroom. Having the Terry family fight that deal, could further embarrass and complicate Burke's case.
    They should have every right to complicate his case. They're the ones who have paid the price for this crime and should have a chance to be heard if they want one.
    "The government's already been put on notice that they might be facing a wrongful death action by the family. And you have to wonder if the government's efforts to deny the family the status of 'crime victims' is part of a strategy to avoid legal responsibility for some of the tragic mistakes of Operation Fast and Furious," he said.

Burke refused comment when asked why he opposed the family’s motion and his possible conflict of interest
    Does this surprise anyone?.....Didn't think so.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

No. It is CYA.

I am not sure what the ATF was thinking (guns = drugs - so you use the same strategy?). I have a huge amount of respect for those that work for the ATF - I know many personally, both on the legal and tactical side. And I have broached the subject of "Fast and Furious", gently - never understood what happened internally, but frankly, I didn't push too hard (not that if I did it would have yielded a revelation).

Comment

Working...
    X