Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of tax increase do you want to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming no other changes, on the surface, Kung Wu is correct, Maggie. You only pay the higher tax rate on the money that is over the old, lesser bracket.

The problem lies with credits and such that phase out as one earning more. If one loses one of those credits, they could see quite a change in the amount of taxes they pay.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
      Originally posted by Kung Wu
      Originally posted by wufan
      My wife and I actually got small raises a few years back and took home less money due to a change in income bracket. How's that for awesome!
      I have to challenge this. Tax brackets don't work like that.
      Then why have I heard of others having the same issue?
      People don't take the time to work out the math and continue propogating the fallacy. Here are three make believe brackets:

Earn up to $10,000, pay 10%.

Earn up to $25,000 pay additional 15%.

Earn up to $50,000 pay additional 20%.

If you earn, say, $45,000, you would pay 10% on the first $10,000. Then you would pay 15% on the next $15,000. And finally you pay 20% on the next 20,000 of your income.

There is no number you can plug into the equation that will give you LESS income than a smaller number you plug into the formula.

If people earn less after making more, it's not due to brackets. It's due to other deductions or something.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Here is a short article that explains it in more detail without getting too involved:

One of the most common sources of confusion when it comes to taxes are the tax brackets. Today we'll explain why people get confused, and break it down in simple terms.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
          Assuming no other changes, on the surface, Kung Wu is correct, Maggie. You only pay the higher tax rate on the money that is over the old, lesser bracket.

The problem lies with credits and such that phase out as one earning more. If one loses one of those credits, they could see quite a change in the amount of taxes they pay.
          Correct. I should have been more specific. I apologize to Kung Wu.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
            Originally posted by ShockTalk

Correct. I should have been more specific. I apologize to Kung Wu.
            Apology accepted. :)

Comment

Working...
            X