Obama - 80% want higher taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama - 80% want higher taxes

Yesterday for those who follow the news - Obama came out and said that the Gallup polls showed 80% of Americans wanted higher taxes and the Republicans better fall in line with the will of the American people or face their wrath.

I went and looked up the actual results of the poll from Gallup because I couldn't really believe American can be that stupid - please tax me more so our politicians can spend more.....

Americans would prefer to reduce the deficit with spending cuts rather than tax increases, though most appear willing to accept some tax hikes. Americans opposed to raising the federal debt limit commonly cite a government spending problem; those in favor cite a threat to the economy from not raising it.

Here is the actual results

Only/Mostly with Spending Cuts: 50%
    Only/Mostly with tax increases: 11%

Only with spending cuts: 20%
    Mostly with spending cuts: 30%
    Equally with spending cuts and tax increases: 32%
    Mostly with tax increases: 7%
    Only with tax increases: 4%

IDK, but it really seem it just the exact opposite of what Obama says.

Re: Obama - 80% want higher taxes

Originally posted by SB Shock
    Yesterday for those who follow the news - Obama came out and said that the Gallup polls showed 80% of Americans wanted higher taxes and the Republicans better fall in line with the will of the American people or face their wrath.

I went and looked up the actual results of the poll from Gallup because I couldn't really believe American can be that stupid - please tax me more so our politicians can spend more.....

Americans would prefer to reduce the deficit with spending cuts rather than tax increases, though most appear willing to accept some tax hikes. Americans opposed to raising the federal debt limit commonly cite a government spending problem; those in favor cite a threat to the economy from not raising it.

Unfortunately he lies about as much as another person who's been getting voluminous headlines recently. :banghead:
    SFL is back!

Comment

President Obama is used to not being challenged on anything. He was raised being taught his skin color entitles him to certain things.

His life is RIDDLED with lies, most told to sway people to get in line behind him.

He rapidly is making me wish for Jimmy Carter. I've never, EVER seen someone so arrogant be wrong so often.

Comment

This web site explains as well as any how President Obama probably came up with the 80%.

FACT CHECK: Obama stretches poll findings on debt

Posted at: 07/15/2011 5:36 PM
        By CALVIN WOODWARD

(AP) WASHINGTON - You might say President Barack Obama cut himself some extra margin of error Friday when he claimed 80 percent of Americans want the debt crisis solved with a mix of tax increases and spending cuts.

Polling does suggest, as Obama said, that Americans overall and even Republican voters are open to higher taxes as part of the solution. But claiming support from 8 in 10 people was a reach.

A look at his statements about polling and how they compare with the actual findings:

OBAMA: "You have 80 percent of the American people who support a balanced approach. Eighty percent of the American people support an approach that includes revenues and includes cuts. So the notion that somehow the American people aren’t sold is not the problem."

THE POLLS: A Gallup poll, cited by the White House as the main basis for Obama’s statement, actually found that 69 percent supported tackling the deficit with a mix of spending cuts and tax increases. An additional 4 percent favored tax increases only _ a group that does not endorse Obama’s "balanced" approach but could reasonably be counted on his side. That brings his support to 73 percent at most in that poll.

Obama can get closer to 80 percent, but only by counting those who don’t belong in that group: people who declined to give an opinion or volunteered an idea of their own to reduce deficits.

Overall, the poll found Americans favor spending cuts much more than tax increases, while supporting a mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          President Obama is used to not being challenged on anything. He was raised being taught his skin color entitles him to certain things.

His life is RIDDLED with lies, most told to sway people to get in line behind him.

He rapidly is making me wish for Jimmy Carter. I've never, EVER seen someone so arrogant be wrong so often.
          If he's used to not being challenged, it wouldn't be because of his mother, who made him get up early in the morning to do his homework. I'm sure if she thought he'd be able to get by because of his skin color, she would have told him, "You don't need to do any homework. When you're older, you'll be able to get by because of your skin color."

Comment

Do you mean the mom that the President has lied about how she was denied health coverage?

Forgive me, this man will lie about ANYTHING to sway opinion or get his way, and I for one am sick and tired of people letting him get away with it and not calling him out. It's not even playing fast and loose with the truth, it is out and out lying.

I believe NOTHING that comes from his mouth. He is incompetent and a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker

This web site explains as well as any how President Obama probably came up with the 80%.

FACT CHECK: Obama stretches poll findings on debt

Posted at: 07/15/2011 5:36 PM
              By CALVIN WOODWARD

(AP) WASHINGTON - You might say President Barack Obama cut himself some extra margin of error Friday when he claimed 80 percent of Americans want the debt crisis solved with a mix of tax increases and spending cuts.

Polling does suggest, as Obama said, that Americans overall and even Republican voters are open to higher taxes as part of the solution. But claiming support from 8 in 10 people was a reach.

A look at his statements about polling and how they compare with the actual findings:

OBAMA: "You have 80 percent of the American people who support a balanced approach. Eighty percent of the American people support an approach that includes revenues and includes cuts. So the notion that somehow the American people aren’t sold is not the problem."

THE POLLS: A Gallup poll, cited by the White House as the main basis for Obama’s statement, actually found that 69 percent supported tackling the deficit with a mix of spending cuts and tax increases. An additional 4 percent favored tax increases only _ a group that does not endorse Obama’s "balanced" approach but could reasonably be counted on his side. That brings his support to 73 percent at most in that poll.

Obama can get closer to 80 percent, but only by counting those who don’t belong in that group: people who declined to give an opinion or volunteered an idea of their own to reduce deficits.

Overall, the poll found Americans favor spending cuts much more than tax increases, while supporting a mix of both.
              You guys are acting surprised. WOW A politician who spins, stretches the truth and lies to make his points.

What else is new. I think there is at least 536 of them in DC alone.

Comment

It's the type of lying he's doing that is so impressive. It's quite common for a politician to spin the success of one's own policies or the failures of his opponents. It's not common to lie about the illness of your own Mother, or to rediculously mis-quote a readily available gallop poll. Very audacious.
                Livin the dream

Comment

I was just discussing this with my wife and she has a plan to cut the deficit: Sell Puerto Rico! I think I'm going to run for Senator on this platform. ;-)
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                    I was just discussing this with my wife and she has a plan to cut the deficit: Sell Puerto Rico! I think I'm going to run for Senator on this platform. ;-)
                    Or let SoCal buy their way out of the union for about $15 trillion. I'm sure we could even set them up on a 20 or 30 year mortgage to do so. :D
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The statement is a lie. Fine - QED.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                        The statement is a lie. Fine - QED.

Okay -then.

Comment

A fine student of Saul Alinksky he is.

Comment

Working...
                          X