Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lip-Synch Artist Going to Jail in the Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lip-Synch Artist Going to Jail in the Future?

Lawmakers Pushing Bill That Could Land YouTube Lip-Synch Artists Behind Bars
    Record labels are clamoring for a chance to have their artist lip-synch alongside 16-year-old YouTube sensation Keenan Cahill in, of all places, his bedroom.

But could a proposed amendment to the federal copyright infringement law potentially land Cahill, or any person lip-synching copyrighted material in a YouTube video, behind bars?

Senate Bill 978, a bipartisan measure introduced last month by Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) and Sen. Christopher Coons (D-Del.), is backed by supporters who say it closes glaring loopholes in current copyright infringement law created by the realities of the digital age.
    But critics say a section of the bill provides for steep penalties -- up to five years in prison -- for “publicly performing” copyrighted material and embedding the video to sites like YouTube.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

The record labels don't understand much of anything unless it appears to put money in their pockets.

Their marketing and business strategies worked well when they could control all distribution. Now that we have the internet, they have no idea how to leverage it to increase demand for their products. Instead, they see some kid lip-syncing on YouTube and their first thought is that they didn't receive licensing fees, not that the video is probably making their product more popular.

Comment

Just for the record, I'm a very good lip sync'er.

Maybe the best.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John

Maybe the best.
        Do you play air guitar too? :D
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11

Maybe the best.
          Why yes!

And I draw very good as well!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11

Maybe the best.
            Why yes!

And I draw very good as well!

I prefer 'Speaking In Tongues'... :D

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Lawmakers (and those who purchase them) always seem to use a 19th century way of thinking when dealing with 21st century issues. I'm surprised that the record industry doesnt have roving patrols that seek out and arrest cover bands practicing in their garages.
              That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
                Lawmakers (and those who purchase them) always seem to use a 19th century way of thinking when dealing with 21st century issues. I'm surprised that the record industry doesnt have roving patrols that seek out and arrest cover bands practicing in their garages.
                There have been lawsuits over a caller hearing someone's personal music while on the phone, that it constitutes a "public performance" since someone other than the person playing it could hear it.

That entire industry is Draconian. The more evolved electronic distribution becomes, the less relevant the big music labels will be and the more bands can do much of the work that only labels could do before.

Comment

Working...
                X