Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Cuts

Well done President Trump!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

One interesting clause is that non-profits have to pay a 21% tax on any employee that makes over a million a year. So big one for WSU .. Marshall ... That's another 700k cost to WSU a year. Along with that, I don't believe donations to SASO will be tax deductible anymore.

Comment

Already seeing big benefits as AT&T, Boeing, and Fifth Third Bancorp have announced huge bonus payouts, raises, and job creation attributed directly to the Republican Tax bill.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Another example of the fact that the content of the bill and the process used to pass it no longer matter. Just getting "victories" so you can celebrate with the base.

This bill was created with bad economics, and opposed by 66% of the electorate (CNN national poll). It was passed in a manner that only be described as "beyond the pale." The most drastic change to our nation's taxes in 30 years was essentially scribbled onto notebook paper and passed without discussion. This is a terrible, no-good, very bad precedent. Sweeping changes should not come without analysis or discussion.

No bill of such importance has ever been passed in such a manner. Complete exclusive of the other party in the writing process. Created in a matter of months. Passed in a matter of weeks, without even waiting for CBO analysis. Deliberately designed to hit high-tax Democratic states harder.

The bill should temporarily heat up the economy, but the negative effects it will have both on our economy and our politics will be permanent. Things like wealth inequality are obvious, but less obvious is the way the specific changes affect homeowners. With caps on the deductions for mortgage interest and on the deductibility of state and local taxes, the cost of owning a home will rise and the value of a home will fall. This bill has laid the grounds for the next recession, and by doing literally the exact opposite of smart fiscal policy (cut taxes in a boom, leaving nothing to help the economy in the next bust) we won't be prepared for it.

The bill is ugly. The process to pass it was ugly. Remove the gilding of the short-term benefits, and the policies themselves are ugly. If this is the future of US politics, we are looking at dark days ahead.

Comment

Days have been pretty dark the past few years if you ask me. CBB_Fan did you have the same reaction when they shoved through the DISASTEROUS health care plan that they had to pass before they could learn what was in it?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Days have been pretty dark the past few years if you ask me. CBB_Fan did you have the same reaction when they shoved through the DISASTEROUS health care plan that they had to pass before they could learn what was in it?
                Don't even compare the two. For every day this bill was in open debate, the ACA had three weeks. There were 188 Republican amendments in the ACA, which started life as a proposal written by 3 Republicans and 3 Democrats. There are 0 Democratic amendments in the final GOP tax bill, which started life behind closed doors as a GOP baby. The Democrats didn't abuse reconciliation to end the filibuster, even though doing so would have eliminated the need to convince Lieberman and would have allowed them to put a public option in place (note, Public Law 111-148 not Public Law 111-152.) The GOP used reconciliation to pass the tax bill even though it failed to meet the criteria.

It is a lie atop a mistruth atop a misconception to claim the two are similar abuses of power. I'm not going to dive to go into the difference in impact between the two. The ACA was window dressing on an already failing system that did not fundamentally change health insurance, while the GOP tax bill is doing the wrong thing at the wrong time for the wrong reasons in the wrong ways. The ACA's maximum impact is slightly less small business activity. The tax bill's maximum impact is a depression.

If you were outraged by the ACA, you should be next to a heart attack now. Because now, bipartisanship is officially dead. The ACA will look like a peace offering compared to the next attempt, and that isn't a good thing. If the Democrats have to, they'll pass a poorly understood bill in the dead of night creating an American NHS with zero forethought or planning, just to score a victory. This approach is not only stupid, but dangerous. Rapid swings of policy make bad legislation more likely to be passed, and make it impossible for businesses to plan ahead. But the GOP is happy to cheer as long as the swing is in their direction, even though the more they push the swing the farther it will go in the other direction.

At worst, this leads to actual civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                One interesting clause is that non-profits have to pay a 21% tax on any employee that makes over a million a year. So big one for WSU .. Marshall ... That's another 700k cost to WSU a year. Along with that, I don't believe donations to SASO will be tax deductible anymore.
                I don't believe that HC3GM works for a non-profit.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unless we are structured different .. I was just going off of this ... https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ons/968741001/

• Kung Wu
                  Kung Wu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He is employed by the ICAA and I couldn't remember their corporation type, but now I think you are right -- it is a not-for-profit.

the ACA is unconstitutional, not that anyone cares

Comment

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ill/970936001/

well, son of a *****, it works
                  Last edited by pinstripers; December 20, 2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

How many SASO donors itemize?
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I certainly have taken my SASO deductions over the years but never once did getting a tax deduction on a portion of the SASO contribution enter the decision matrix when deciding whether to renew or not.

Comment

Corporations Sitting On Their Assets, Latest Stats Reveal

Comment

Here’s another article from the WSJ that says overall Capital spending is surging:

Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                          X