College Football Playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Playoffs?

Here's an interesting article on Yahoo about a College football playoff. Pretty well thought out and a pretty good idea:

The time is now for a playoff in college football. Columnist Dan Wetzel spells out how it should be done.

Here's the proposed bracket for this year:

While I don't think they'd put all three Big 12 teams on the same side, its still a good start.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

I agree. The arguments against a playoff are very, very weak.

As to the thought that the "season is a playoff", then why is there only one undefeated team and they won't be in the national championship?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
      I agree. The arguments against a playoff are very, very weak.

As to the thought that the "season is a playoff", then why is there only one undefeated team and they won't be in the national championship?
      Here's what the argument should really sound like.

"$$$$$$$$, BCS, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$"

That's all we need to know.

But I do like the way that looks. But it'll never happen with all the money that is made off of bowls. I guess they could still have the bowls for the other teams and the teams that are knocked out in the first round.

Comment

I would think a true playoff would be more lucrative than the bowls.

Imagine a Florida-Missouri matchup with the winner meeting Virginia Tech - USC. Lots of TV sets.

Surely more than an Orange Bowl matchup under the current scenario of say Boston College vs. Ohio State with the winner getting squat.

Comment

There is no valid arguement for the BCS vs a playoff.

We know its all about money but does anyone truly think that a (for instance) Arkansas v Tx Tech game in the Cotton Bowl today would make more money than a OU v USC 1/4 final playoff game in the Cotton Bowl?

The only argument is in defense of the folks that want to do everything possible to consolidate both the power and the money and not let anyone else in on their plan.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
            I would think a true playoff would be more lucrative than the bowls.

Imagine a Florida-Missouri matchup with the winner meeting Virginia Tech - USC. Lots of TV sets.

Surely more than an Orange Bowl matchup under the current scenario of say Boston College vs. Ohio State with the winner getting squat.

Thanks for beating me to the punch ABC.

Comment

That's really cool. Looking at the brackets almost gets me as excited as selection Sunday. .... Almost ....
              Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Would this open the door for more D1-A conferences?

If every conference got someone in, there would be more incentive for say, the Gateway to move up. Right now, the requirements would be too much, but there would be much wailing by the better FCS conferences to let them into the party.

- Reduce attendance requirements. Attendance at schools like MSU, SIU, etc. would increase substantially.

- Reduce scholarship maximums (I don't think the overall number of scholarships would change much).

- Talent would get spread out a little bit more. Probably not a lot, but enough to increase parity to some degree.

- The playoffs would likely have to expand to 20-24 teams (5 rounds), with the better teams having a first-round bye.

In a nutshell, college football would become more like college basketball, causing the BCS conferences to cry foul over lost revenue.

And that's why a playoff system will be difficult (but not impossible) to institute. Though it needs to happen.

Comment

I wouldn't be against a playoff. But I also don't think "it needs to happen."

College football is awesome already, and has been for 100 years or whatever, without a playoff. And it makes a bunch of money.

I personally like bowl games and really look forward to the bowl season every year.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

College football is awesome already, and has been for 100 years or whatever, without a playoff. And it makes a bunch of money.

I personally like bowl games and really look forward to the bowl season every year.
                    But Charlie, the bowls have gotten way out of hand. There are too many and every year there is usually one or two that doesn't happen because there aren't enough bowl eligible teams. I'm sorry, but going 6-6 and making a bowl is crazy. Maybe if they cut the number of bowls down to say, half of what they have now, then it would be a good thing. But I can't even watch 3/4 or more of the bowl games, because they don't mean anything and quite frankly are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

College football is awesome from August through November. When December and beyond hits, it sucks.

Think of how much more $$$ could be made with a playoff system? More games = more revenue correct?

The bowl games were cool. I dunno about now though when there's 30 of em or whatever and you have some named the Papajohns.com Bowl (no joke), the Champs Sports Bowl, or the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, it's kinda getting out of hand. What's the worth of winning a bowl game (minus the NC)? Honestly? I guess you could say you ended your season without a loss. That's about it.. at least to me anyways. As mentioned in the article, you still can use the bowl games as NIT-esque leftovers if you will.

It really is funny how the majority of the nation/fans/coaches, even are so against the BCS system and we have a tiny minority of NCAA committee members, Conference chairmen, etc. controlling all aspects of it. I know it really is cliche, but damn, it sucks that 'money talks'.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

rrshock beat me to it.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                          rrshock beat me to it.
                          Sorry. If I didn't say it, I was 100% sure someone else would.

Comment

Im for a playoff.

But I dont think everyone should get in

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                              What's the worth of winning a bowl game (minus the NC)? Honestly?

First of all: it's worth a lot of money. Especially in the SEC, which has revenue sharing.

Plus: When your team wins a bowl it's great! The 2000 Cotton Bowl when we beat Texas? Awesome. One of my favorite Razorback moments ever.

Listen I love the way college baseball and basketball are done. I just also am fine with the way college football is done. Is my team one of the best in the country? No. But I'm still going to enjoy watching us play in a bowl game. We had a GOOD season and it will be even better if we win our bowl game (whatever it is) and bring home a trophy.

I also follow Ball State, for example. The Cardinals are looking to go to their first bowl game in a very long time, and their fans are PUMPED!

Unlike the NCAA basketball tournament, they won't be matched up against a #1 or #2 seed that's vastly superior to them, but a comparable team on their level.

I watch all the college football I can. And bowl games are the best because of all the interesting matchups.

Comment

Working...
                              X