Maui question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui question

Now that the Maui invitational is done and over with my wife really wants to go to Maui and of course, we're looking a Lahaina. Since a lot of you were there recently I hope you can offer some input.

1) What island activities do you recommend?

2) Where did you stay and how did you like it?

3) I've targeted the Outrigger Aina Nalu condos. Anyone stay there?

Thanks!

Stayed at the Kaalapoli Beach Hotel. Would stay there again and more reasonably priced than some of the other area hotels. They also had condos if you want to go that route.

A snorkeling trip to Molakini Crater is definitely worth doing.

Lots of shopping in Lahaina for Mrs. Royal.

If you can, I would also fly over to Pearl Harbor in Honolulu. Very moving and emotional attraction.

Lots of golf courses too.

Comment

How long you plan on staying (actual # of days not traveling) and what you're looking to do will play big into where you stay and what you can see/experience. Also, your chances of ever going again might play a roll.

We'll be making our 6th trip to the Islands this spring. Normally, we visit two islands, but this is determined by the # of days you have. The reason I mention this.....you just can't get it all in. Are you there to experience the great weather, lying on beaches, shopping, and golf or spending a day trip on the road to Hana (making some side hikes), watching a sun rise on 10,000' Mt. Haleakala (and hike in the crater), travel through the beautiful up country, and the snorkeling trip jcdshocker mentioned to Molakini?

I'll make a comment. There are 4 major islands and, if you go back to Hawaii, you may not go back to Maui. Don't cut your # of days too short if at all possible. You'll already have your flight cost whether your there 5 days or two weeks. Most accomodations will offer a better rate for a minimum of 7 nights. A car rental for a week will be about the same as 5 days. Try to give yourself time to experience and relax in this paradise.

Comment

Since I got back from Maui there have only been a few acceptable days here in Key West. There is only one reason not to kick myself for leaving Hawaii some 40 plus years ago. If I hadn't I wouldn't be the Shocker fan I am today.

My only advice is to stay as long as possible. You could probably stay about anywhere and do about anything, or nothing at all and be a very happy man.
        In the fast lane

Comment

With my wife and I having changed jobs within the past four years our vacation time is limited. Based on available flights we're looking at arriving on the island around mid-afternoon on a Wednesday and departing Sunday evening (Memorial Day weekend).

Comment

Not to discourage you, but last time I went to Hawaii I was there 1 more day than what you are planning, and it wasn't nearly enough time.

I am a pretty easy going person, I don't need to be entertained and sitting on my deck and watching the sun go down is just fine by me.

With the 5 (or is it 6?) hour time change, that was just too little time to get adjusted and enjoy what we wanted to enjoy.

And to echo Trop, I don't think you can go to the islands and not go to Pearl. Whether it's the 1st time or the 50th time, and I'm not sure it shouldn't be mandatory. We owe them so much, our respect doesn't seem like quite enough but should be the least we do.

Comment

Road to Hana! will take all day(rent car). Bike down the Volcano at Dawn. 1/2 day. Tour island on organized tour 1day. There are a couple of Laua's in LaHaina. Also if your going to make the trip your really should be there long enough to see Oahu, Kaui, and the Big Island.

For an alterative I suggest a cruise to Bermuda! I have been all over the world and Bermuda is stunning and can easily be seen in 4 to 5 days
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Ok, we've decided to deplete my vacation and stay for a full week. We really like the Outrigger condo properties and are also looking at staying in Wailea (Outrigger Wailea Palms) due to being a little more central and closer to the up-country, Hana and Mt. Haleakala.

What I'm not sure about are the other things in that area like shopping, dining and snorkeling. Does anyone have any opinions of Wailea vs. Kahaina?

Comment

http://www.hilohattie.com/aloha/cust...pageName=About Must visit Hilo Hatties for shopping and that fine Hawaiian shirt 8)
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

We went for 7+ days. Left Wichita 6:00 AM on a Wednesday arrived in Maui around 5:00. We flew back the following Wednesday on a 11:50 PM flight. Everyone slept on the flight home except me.

We had about 20 in our group and everyone loved the resort we stayed at and it was very low cost. Myself and a friend tend to over research trips and everyone else just comes along for the ride. We stayed at Aston Kaanapali Shores. We booked multiple 2 bedroom 2 bath condos. They also have regular hotel rooms, studio condos and 1 bedroom condos. We paid $940 per person and that covered flight, condo and rental car. We also spoke with other people who have stayed there in the past and was also a reason why we booked there...most thought the price we got was extremely low. If you do book your rooms there, request an "updated room". For any price, it was one of the nicest places I've ever stayed.

1. The people in our group who did road to Hana loved it, but I didn't want to lose an entire day.

2. Snorkeling at Black Rock is free and well worth the price. ;-) We managed to see and swim with some large sea turtles...once in a lifetime experience for me.

3. Took a snorkel trip to Molokini Crater. Well worth the half day we spent doing that. The people running ours offered "Snuba" which was worth the $50 for 30 minutes. They also served breakfast, lunch and beer & mixed drinks. Everything except "Snuba" was included in the $70 cost.

4. Took an unguided driving tour north to see blow holes and tide pools. Also saw surfers. If you like hiking, the tide pools are awesome. In our group I was the only one willing to risk their life so I climbed down the side of a mountain and did some swimming with crabs and other strange creatures in the tide pools.

5. If the wife likes to shop, or even if she doesn't, go to Front St in Lahaina. Just find some where to park and walk up and down the street. Tons of excellent places to eat to. I highly recommend Kimos...You're probably looking at spending a minimum of $80 for 2 there. I think we ended up spending more on fine dining in Maui than we did on the flight and condo. Bubba Gumps was a slightly cheaper place to eat and still excellent. If you want to watch a game or just go to a sports bar, I have to recommend Moose McGillycuddy's. We ate at Longhi's, expensive, but not worth it...can't remember everywhere else we ate. Also ate at Mama's Fish House, east of Kahului. It was very nice and a very popular place to eat. We made our reservations 3 days in advance and the best we could do was 8:00 PM.

6. We spent most of our time just hanging out at the hotel pool and hotel beach...chairs are provided. Also snorkeling off the beach of our hotel was nice too; saw lots of fish, crabs, eels, coral and other creatures...Hotel on the beach is a must.

I'll think of more later and post...

Comment

Working...
                    X