X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS

Hypothetical Pickem:

Boise St. vs. Connecticut

(One is in a BCS game, the other is not)

Unbelievable.

Are we spotting UCONN 4 or 5 touchdowns?
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I honestly think Boise is a top 5 team this year, they just had one slip-up. I also think Wisconsin is the best team in the nation and is going to cream TCU and then BCS fans will use that as an argumentative point for the next 5 years.

Comment

Rankings are so outdated it isn't funny.

Does anyone really believe they know if Ohio State would beat Boise State on a neutral field?

There are at least 20 teams that could beat any of the other 20 teams this year.

Certainly Oregon and Auburn have proven themselves more often that the other teams, including Boise State and TCU.

But football needs a playoff and until it gets one, it will continue to be the joke it is now. It will never be perfect, but it sucks now.

Comment

Isnt it funny how Ohio States suspensions dont happen until after the bowl game. I understand that 2 of the players plan on going pro so they will never suffer
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
            Isnt it funny how Ohio States suspensions dont happen until after the bowl game. I understand that 2 of the players plan on going pro so they will never suffer
            Absolutely incredible. Let's capitalize on them while we can for the sake of the BCS. Who would watch the bowl game without those players?

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
              I honestly think Boise is a top 5 team this year, they just had one slip-up. I also think Wisconsin is the best team in the nation and is going to cream TCU and then BCS fans will use that as an argumentative point for the next 5 years.
              Wisconsin is simply rolling right now. TCU got a bad draw.

Could you imagine a Sweet Sixteen for college football? 4 number 1 seeds across the nation compete in a regional to advance to the Final 4. 4 of the best programs at one site for the final two weeks.

It would take the same time as the current (flawed) system. 1 month.

Comment

I dont think Wisconsin is going to roll over TCU the way most people think they will.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                  Originally posted by AndShock
                  Wisconsin is simply rolling right now. TCU got a bad draw.

Could you imagine a Sweet Sixteen for college football? 4 number 1 seeds across the nation compete in a regional to advance to the Final 4. 4 of the best programs at one site for the final two weeks.

It would take the same time as the current (flawed) system. 1 month.
                  How can more football be a bad thing?
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

I heard one time of an idea of a 12 team playoff system, giving each group of four something to play for. The top four would have a first week bye, and would then each host a home game against the first round winners. The middle four would get to host the first round against the 9-12 seeds. Those last four would obviously be vying to be in the playoff. So it would look something like this:

First Round
                    #12 at #5
                    #11 at #6
                    #10 at #7
                    #9 at #8

Second Round
                    8-9 winner at #1
                    7-10 winner at #2
                    6-11 winner at #3
                    5-12 winner at #4

Semifinal Round (could be at neutral site)
                    Winners of Second Round slotted by actual seed (NOT preset based on 1-4 advancing presumption)

National Championship (neutral site)
                    Semifinal Winners

12 teams, 11 games, and a whale of a TV contract I would think. The bowls could still be kept as the "NIT" of the football world.

And it will probably never happen.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      Rankings are so outdated it isn't funny.

Does anyone really believe they know if Ohio State would beat Boise State on a neutral field?

There are at least 20 teams that could beat any of the other 20 teams this year.

Certainly Oregon and Auburn have proven themselves more often that the other teams, including Boise State and TCU.

But football needs a playoff and until it gets one, it will continue to be the joke it is now. It will never be perfect, but it sucks now.
                      Div 1 Football has a playoff it is called the FCS. The BCS teams opted to stay with the bowl system because of the money they can get just for BCS teams. It would not be right for the BCS to develop a playoff now after they have relegated smaller schools to the FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                        Sugar Bowl boss backed suspended OSU 5

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Dec. 29 (UPI) -- The Sugar Bowl's chief executive officer says he lobbied to let five suspended Ohio State players qualify for the game.

"I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year's game, we would greatly appreciate it," Paul Hoolahan told the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. "That appeal did not fall on deaf ears."

OSU officials, along with Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, got the NCAA to defer the suspension until the beginning of the 2011 season.

Comment

Working...
                        X