New York Judge rules 6-year-old can be sued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Judge rules 6-year-old can be sued

A girl can be sued over accusations she ran over an elderly woman with her training bicycle when she was 4 years old, a New York Supreme Court justice has ruled.

What is America coming to anymore to hold a 4 year old responsible for this?

Wow! I read the article and it didn't turn out at all the way I thought.

Anybody has always been free to sue a 6-year-old. Generally a jury will shake their heads all the way to the jury room and have a verdict in about 5 seconds.

There's a little catch - you can't collect until the child is 18 and then you generally have to sue again to enforce collection, so it's usually pointless to sue a child.

I thought this was going to be a ruling where the child could be sued, but not the parents. Parents can be successfully sued if they failed to exercise reasonable care and supervision to prevent a forseeable incident.

In this case the judge ruled the parents can be sued too. I'm confident a jury wll laugh this one out of court, but the judges ruling eliminates the possibility of bringing a frivolous lawsuit counterclaim, which is a shame.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
        A good start?
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
        X