Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cancer is gone

Health update for those concerned.

My cancer is gone. Not in remission. Not under control. It's gone. I've got a surgeon and an oncologist watching me to see if I get cancer again. I'm at a higher risk than the general population for that, so I get CAT scans every 4 months.

I have some permanent effects. Swallowing is difficult. A vitamin pill is the largest thing I can swallow. Some pills that size get stuck. I just finished my breakfast of yogurt. This is odd - I can make my way through a pork chop, but can't eat a steak.

I lost 1 saliva gland in the surgery and 4 more from radiation. That leaves 1, so I have a permanent dry mouth and I get a sore throat from getting dehydrated. Another odd thing - I don't get thirsty. I know to drink when my throat gets sore. I lost thyroid and parathyroid on the right side of my neck in surgery. Radiation killed those on the left, so I'm permanently on thyroid meds.

One vocal cord is mostly paralyzed. The nerve to its muscle was removed. I can't yell or talk very loud. My voice sounds like something happened to me, but it's not bad - unless I get dehydrated or my throat gets dry. Then I'm pretty hoarse and can lose my voice completely.

I'm mostly numb from about an inch behind my right ear to the middle of my throat down to about 3 inches below my right collarbone and then out to the shoulder. I got shingles in that area and the nerves awoke with a vengeance. That gave me some good old-fashioned pain up to level 9. (Level 10 is where the nerves give up and stop sending pain singles because they've been sending the maximum they can send for so long they just quit - been there, done that - during radiation of my throat).

I caught the shingles early and had them gone within a week. Then I got post-herpetic neuralgia. In English - that's the pain from shingles sticks around after the shingles are gone. I'm just at the point where I can manage the pain well enough to work and the meds allow me to work. If I get any worse, I'll have to consider disability. If it gets any worse, then either the pain is too much to work productively or the meds are too much to work productively.

I've designed and am developing a computer program that checks data integrity when data is moved by a process or manipulated by a controlled process. If you use a computer to do your taxes, the people who wrote the program could use my program to see if their program got the tax tables from the government stuck into their program accurately. Somebody is doing that by eyeball right now. My program automates the process and doesn't get eye-strain if it has to check thousands or even millions of records. I kind of need to be alert and focused at work, so some pain meds are out of the question.

It's been one heck of a journey. The pain in the area of the surgery can get pretty bad. My wife seriously wonders if she made the right call when I ran into a rough streak and the docs asked her if they should save me or just let me go. She told them to save me, but doesn't enjoy seeing me in the pain I'm in and doesn't like what that's doing to me right now.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Aargh,
    After reading what you are enduring, I will not complain about my minor aches or pains again.

I understand the pain and rigors of going through it each day are tough beyond comprehension, but don't ever give up.

This place is a lot better with you than the alternative.

Hang in there!

SR
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

It's good to hear you've beat back cancer Aargh!

I've been thru some health issues but nothing like you. I have no idea what kind of strength is required to do what you've done but you're the man.

Shocker Nation is better with you around. Keep up the good work.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        It's good to hear you've beat back cancer Aargh!

I've been thru some health issues but nothing like you. I have no idea what kind of strength is required to do what you've done but you're the man.

Shocker Nation is better with you around. Keep up the good work.
        :good: :good:
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Awesome news! :clap:
          "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Thanks for sharing the encouraging update Aargh. My prayers are with you and your loving Wife. God bless you both!!!!!!!
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

:good: :yahoo:

Comment

Excellent news!

Comment

I have had mononucleosis off and on for almost two years and I thought I had it bad........Great News Aargh!!!!
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Aargh,

Refresh my memory if you feel led to do. Did you not share with us that the cancer that you no longer have---is very, very rare to overcome?

Comment

The cancer I had is not difficult to survive. 5-year survival from first diagnosis is 60%. Complicating factors are whether it has spread before it was diagnosed. Mine had. That reduces survival chances by 50%. Another complicating factor is whether it is aggressive. Mine was. It went from nothing to the size of an egg in 5 weeks. That reduces survival chances by 50%. That gave me a 15% chance of survival.

I've found out since then that due to the very fast growth and the location (just under the right side of my jaw), the doctors I saw with experience with this type of cancer didn't give me that much of chance.

The type of cancer I got (squamous cell carcinoma) is most commonly found on the skin, where it's considered pretty harmless. That accounts for the high survival rates. Any part of your body that's exposed to the environment has squamous cells. That includes tonsils. Even though I've had my tonsils removed, the only thing that's removed is the parts that protrude inside your throat. That leaves about half the tonsil.

Mine was thought to have started in my tonsil, but it so completely destroyed the tonsil, there was nothing left that could be identified as the source. Once it got out of the tonsil, it killed anything it touched - and there's a lot of stuff in your neck you don't want killed.

My jugular vein on the right side had to be removed. 3 lymph nodes were completely engulfed, so 23 lymph nodes near those 3 were removed as a precaution.

My variety of cancer is either completely knocked out in the first round of treatments or it's a never-ending battle of chasing it, which typically results in death within two years. It's well-known for traveling down the windpipe and getting into lungs, which is fatal. If mine had gotten to my carotid artery or if it had managed to get out of a lymph node and into my lymph system, that would have been terminal. I was probably just days, or maybe even hours away from a situation that would not have been survivable.

Here's a tip: Any lump in your neck is likely to be cancer and should be evaluated IMMEDIATELY when you notice it. I waited for my lump to go away. It didn't. Then I scheduled a routine visit with a doctor, which was a two-week wait. If I had caught this 5 weeks sooner, I'd be in a lot better shape today.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Aargh,

Thanks for sharing this powerful testimony with ShockerNet. The Great Physician is still providing healing and miracles to this day, no matter how bleak the odds are. Aargh, you keep praying, loving your Family, and striving to get well. We can't even begin to understand the battles you have been fighting. However, it helps me to remember that as each of us face various health concerns as well, we look around and realize that others have even larger issues to deal with. We also look up and Praise the Lord for being there by our side no matter what comes our way, here on our earthly journey.

In the meanwhile, there are certain posters that many of us relish each and every post about Shocker basketball that they write here on SN. YOU are one of those posters. God bless you and your precious Family!!!

Post # 11!!!!!!!

Comment

Aargh, sounds like you've been through the ringer. I admire your toughness and attitude in dealing with your health issues.

Wishing you all the best.

Maybe the Shocks will give you a run deep into the NCAA Tournament to help you through this.

Comment

Don't forget that Stand Up To Cancer airs tonight at 7pm.

Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) one-hour, commercial-free telecast will air on Friday, September 10, 2010 at 8PM EST & PST / 7PM CT on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, Discovery Health, E!, G4, HBO, HBO Latino, MLB Network, Showtime, The Style Network and TV One and over 30 online streaming partners like AOL, Yahoo! and YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                            X