• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Astro passed away

R.I.P.
    Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

The Host and Rodney scared the crap out of a generation of young Wichitans on Friday nights. R.I.P. Tom.

EDIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVodJzQzl8

Comment

Don't forget "King Kung Fu". That film came within a whisker of getting a Hollywood distributor. Leahy played his part as the "Sheriff of Wichita" (or something like that) completely as a John Wayne impersonation. Casting calls were done at Kirby's. Not just extras - there were probably half a dozen supporting roles played by patrons of Kirby's. Intentionally the worst props ever! I think one scene was a picture of the old Holiday Inn downtown (Garvey's building that's apartments now) with a stuffed monkey attached to it and a toy helicopter on a string going in circles around it.

Yep, the movie was a King Kong/Kung Fu genre with bad acting and bad props. I saw it on TV once. If Hollywood would have distributed it to theaters it would rank as one of the worst movies ever made - and that's what Leahy wanted!

The guy really was a genius. It's less well-known that he was probably the best advertising copy writer this city has ever seen. He made some totally off-the-wall ads that got a lot of national attention and recognition - for being good! Even though the ads were good, they were so far out of left field and so wacky that people loved to watch them.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I remember that film. Wasn't it produced by Bob Walterscheid, who at one time owned The Embers?

Comment

Major Astro Fan Club on Facebook.

Comment

My wife and I were talking about the Host and Rodney after reading his obit in the paper. How great life was in college, going to the flicker and having a few beers, wandering over to the cedar and having a couple more then stopping right next door at the taco tico for some greasy tacos and then back to the flicker for another beer while eating the tacos. Then it was off to watch the Host and Rodney. Those were some of the most fun/nostalgic times of my life and a big part was due to Mr. Leahy. Thank you.

Comment

I remember seeing him in the IGA store at Hydraulic and Wassell as a little kid in the early 70's. We were star struck and peeked around the endcaps at him. He was a legend.

Comment

Working...
                X