What Happened to Valor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened to Valor?

This is a very interesting article in the New York Times Sunday Magazine related to the fact that there have been so few Medal of Honor Recipients from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Despite its symbolic importance and educational role in military culture, the Medal of Honor has been awarded only six times for service in Iraq or Afghanistan. By contrast, 464 Medals of Honor were awarded for service during World War II, 133 during the Korean War and 246 during the Vietnam War. “From World War I through Vietnam,” The Army Times claimed in April 2009, “the rate of Medal of Honor recipients per 100,000 service members stayed between 2.3 (Korea) and 2.9 (World War II). But since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, only five Medals of Honor have been awarded, a rate of 0.1 per 100,000 — one in a million."

What Happened to Valor?

I'm guessing it's the IED and suicide bomber style of warfare employed by enemy - limiting the circumstances necessary for the MoH.

Sad but (probably) true.

Comment

Good point and probably very true.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That was the main reason given in the article, and it is probably true to an extent. The forensic analysis that likely cost the soldier in the article the MOH probably wasn't being done in the previous wars.

There may be other factors, as well.

Comment

Personally, I think these are difficult calls and I know for a fact that our military takes each recommendation very seriously. I question whether the manner in which this war is being fought has had that much of an impact on the MOH.

I can’t express in word how I feel about the death of Mrs. Peralta’s son Rafael. I am in awe of those who wear or wore the uniform of our country. In her defense, it appears that the military handled this rather “oddly”. But falling on a grenade does not automatically guarantee a MOH.

By way of comparison, I was watching a show last night about the destroyer the Samuel B. Roberts. This destroyer is named after a man who piloted a landing craft during the invasion of Guadalcanal. When the fleet retreated, leaving the Marines on the island alone, Robert (along with several others) stayed with his landing craft and continued to ferry supplies to the Marines. When the fleet returned, he transported more Marines to different beach where they took heavy fire. Robert again stayed, picking up wounded Marines to take back to the fleet for medical care. But the fire became extremely intense jeopardizing his rescue effort. So Robert placed his landing craft directly in front of the Japanese – purposely drawing their fire – his landing craft was riddled with bullets – and, after picking up the last Marine he could carry Roberts turned back toward the fleet and was mortally wounded….shot in the neck.

Roberts received the Navy Cross just like Peralta. Of course, they also named a boat after him. Notwithstanding, I don’t know whether Peralta actions warranted the MOH but I can’t help thinking that his mother by not accepting the Navy Cross on behalf of her son, is in a way, (unintentionally I’m sure) disrespecting those before him who received the Navy Cross (which is a huge deal). Interestingly, I also question whether her son would approve of her actions. To a man – every single person I have seen interviewed, or I have spoken to, who has received the Medal of Honor says essentially the same thing: “What I did I was being paid for” or “I was just doing my job”. To which my response is: Well, that’s true of all of our men and women in uniform. It doesn’t make them any less heroic.

Comment

Working...
          X