Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Considering New OT rules

Possible versions:

1. Team that loses the coin flip is always guaranteed at least one possession. If both teams match each other score, then game reverts to sudden death.

2. If the first team scores a FG, then the 2nd team gets a chance to match the FG or score a TD. If the first team scores a TD, game over.

I like #1. At least give each team 1 chance with the ball. After that it's sudden death. Seems fair.

Comment

I like option number one. I've always felt they should get at least one possession.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I remember some commentator on television mentioning that the team that loses the coin flip actually wins close to 50% of the time. I am not necessarily opposed to exploring new rules; however, if the aforementioned stat is correct (and it may be wrong) winning possession of the ball first has not proved, over time, to be the huge advantage everyone assumes it to be.

So my question is: Why change?

Comment

I've seen my Chiefs lose a number of times while never getting to play on offense. I'm not sure what the percentage is but thought it was much higher than 50% in favor of the team that won the flip.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I would like to see another change to the game of football:

1. The football must be downed in the endzone for a touchdown. The lame-arse excuse of reaching across the corner pylon from two yards out doesn't qualify as the original intent of a "touchdown".

Comment

Hey, they are “my” Chiefs too. Despite 15 years in the tri-state area I have not switched my allegiance to the Giants or the Jets. I still suffer for the Royals as well – which can be difficult at times in New York – Yankee/Mets fans don’t even bother clowning around anymore – it is more “I pity you”, than anything else – and George Brett was a heck of player, etc.

The statistic I referenced could be wrong and if there is a disadvantage I would favor revisiting the rule. I just thought I would throw it out there.

Comment

Historically the number of teams that won the coin toss and won the game was around 52%: see http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_08_04.html

However, as the NFL has become more offensive minded the numbers have changed. Since 2002 the number of teams that win the toss and win the game has increased to 60%: see http://www.slate.com/id/2209436/

That is why the NFL is seriously looking at changing the format.
                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Thanks for that tgcshock (a little misleading that commentator, huh?)…given the recent trend the NFL should attempt to level the playing field. A game should not be decided largely by chance.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                    I've seen my Chiefs lose a number of times while never getting to play on offense. I'm not sure what the percentage is but thought it was much higher than 50% in favor of the team that won the flip.
                    That's because the Chiefs suck. :good:
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                      I remember some commentator on television mentioning that the team that loses the coin flip actually wins close to 50% of the time. I am not necessarily opposed to exploring new rules; however, if the aforementioned stat is correct (and it may be wrong) winning possession of the ball first has not proved, over time, to be the huge advantage everyone assumes it to be.

So my question is: Why change?
                      Coin flip winner win 61% of the time (data is of 158 OT games). The proposed rules changes will make it around a 52%/48% split.

Though I kind of with you, why change? So what if it not fair? If you want fair, win the game in regulation.

Comment

Working...
                      X