Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheer squad places second in USA Cheer Championships

Cheer squad places second in USA Cheer Championships

Congratulations to the Wichita State Cheer Squad for placing second at the USA Cheer Championships Feb. 13-16, in Anaheim, Calif. You can watch highlights from each performance at http://www.varsity.com/event/1327/20...-all-star.aspx (keyword search "Wichita"). The University of Kentucky placed first. Following Wichita State in third and fourth were UCLA and New Mexico State. The WSU team is coached by Kelli Rappard. Members of the cheer squad are listed at:

I guess congratulations are in order, but I admit to being quite surprised by this for a few reasons.

1. When they performed at halftime a few weeks ago they looked like a ghost of the squad we had in the years leading up to the cheating incident.

2. I watched the video of them at the championships and while I didn't watch the others (UK, UCLA, etc.) I recall watching on TV a few years ago and the routines then were so much better than what I saw in the WSU video that they aren't even comparable.

Admittedly I'm no expert so is there something I'm missing?

Comment

I have pretty limited experience in this, but what I do know is that there are college competitions all across the US with hundreds of teams competing at each one. Within each competition there are numerous divisions. You are right, they are not the team they used to be b/4 the "incident" and this was not the same competition that they used to compete in (which they haven't returned to since the incident).

They are able to say they placed 2nd in the nation, I think it just needs to be elaborated that they took 2nd in the nation in their division within that competition.

Last year they took last in their division so either way at least they are showing some improvement!

Comment

Working...
      X