NBC's Talk Show Shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC's Talk Show Shuffle

With Jay Leno's 9pm show getting ready to be cancel, writer Deon Cole explains why NBC wants to keep all their hosts.

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien - Pimps & Hoes (01/12/10) - Video

Leno is not funny at all, if his "Tonight Show" was anything like the Jay Leno show, then I don't know how he survived all those years.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Why did they even bother changing things?

Comment

From Craigslist:

4 SALE: BARELY-USED LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW – MAKE ME AN OFFER!!! (Universal Studios)

Comment

From Ebay:

Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien Carry On Bag!

Bidding started at $399.99 and seems to be getting out of control.

Comment

The bag was on Friday night's episode, Conan was saying how one good thing is that now basic items have become collectibles. Some of his funniest stuff has been directed at NBC! I've never found Jay funny, so I hope Conan does go somewhere else and stay at 10:30, 11:30 is just too late for me.

Comment

If Conan gets 10:35 somewhere else, look for him to squash Leno in the ratings department.

NBC really fudged themselves. Not only did they eff up in the first place by moving Leno to 9, and not only are they kicking out the only real talent they have, they will now add another competitor to the 10:35 time slot.

They truly are a "special" company.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It`s funny to watch all this happen and see people feeling sorry for Conan. The guy is going to get paid $30 million to leave NBC. Bet alot of people in this world would love to get fired then get a big check. 8)

Comment

Which is one more reason why NBC is an absolute moron in all of this.

Nobody is feeling sorry for Conan on the financial side of things. However, it was his dream to be the host of The Tonight Show. And he got it for a lengthy 7 months. He uprooted his family and crew 3000 miles across the country. Add in the fact that he's being fired because a guy who's ratings tanked is bumping him out of his spot.

Sometimes it's more than just money, no matter the figure.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Did Conan ever match or exceed Leno`s ratings during his 7 months ?

Comment

I don't believe so, but I don't think they expected them to-they were hoping to pick up in the 9:00 slot w/Jay to offset the drop at 10:35. Conan's comedy is completely different from Jay's so I could see it taking a while for people to adjust. Of course Conan left some of his best bits behind (Triumph, If they mated, etc.) so I'm not surprised he doesn't match Jay's #'s.

NBC is saying the catalyst for this is low local news ratings. I don't know if its the case elsewhere but here I think ch. 3 is the worst local news (IMHO) so we never watch it. Can't blame Leno for that and there's no show they could put at 9:00 that would cause us to stay on 3 for their news @ 10.

Comment

Originally posted by jazztrane
                        Of course Conan left some of his best bits behind (Triumph, If they mated, etc.) so I'm not surprised he doesn't match Jay's #'s.
                        Triumph, the insult dog, has been on a few times since Conan went to The Tonight Show.

Here's one from last June.

Triumph Visits Bonnaroo

Comment

Looks like Conan is laughing all the way to the bank.

Conan O'Brien agrees to leave 'Tonight Show' for $45 million

By Lisa de Moraes
                          Friday, January 22, 2010

Conan O'Brien is now officially the shortest-serving host of America's longest-running late night talk-show franchise, at a cost to NBC of around $45 million under terms of a deal signed Thursday.

Friday is O'Brien's last "Tonight Show," clearing the way for Jay Leno to return to the program he hosted, and kept in first place in the ratings, for 15 of his 17 years on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                            Originally posted by jazztrane
                            Of course Conan left some of his best bits behind (Triumph, If they mated, etc.) so I'm not surprised he doesn't match Jay's #'s.
                            Triumph, the insult dog, has been on a few times since Conan went to The Tonight Show.

Here's one from last June.

Triumph Visits Bonnaroo
                            Yeah, that was a good episode...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!
                            "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Last night, Conan dressed a Bugatti up as a mouse and played the original cut of The Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction.” It cost more than $1 million to put together and air.

Tonight, Conan bought 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, draped it in a mink Snuggie and had it watch restricted NFL programming. That cost more than $4 million.

Comment

Working...
                              X