BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Congrats to Alabama on the mythical National Championship.
    The announcers kept calling it the National Championship. At least coach Saban knew what it was when he called it the BCS National Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
      I think it was a safe play.
      I would agree. Like Mack said, have you ever seen a shovel pass intercepted? Let alone, picked off and returned for a touchdown.

I give Texas a lot of credit for not folding, and making a game out of it with tough defense in the third quarter. The freshman QB was thrown into the fire, and fared pretty well under the circumstances.

I'm no SEC fan, but you've got to admire the programs, and the way they take what they believe is theirs. Florida, LSU, and now Alabama have dominated college football over the past decade. I think I heard that the SEC is 6-0 in championship games since the inception of the BCS.

I haven't commented on the BCS in awhile, but what they did by pairing Boise State and TCU in the Fiesta was a crime. They couldn't stand to give two potential threats to the party a deserved chance against the "name" schools. I love college football, but there are some serious flaws that will not be addressed now or in the future. They've got to protect what is theirs.

Comment

SEC is 6-0 in BCS NCG's, and Big12 is 2-5.

The record speaks for itself.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
          I have watched exactly 2 minutes of bowl games so far this year. I may watch a couple more towards the 11:00 hour.

College football, its bowls and timing, just suck the air out of everything now.
          Boy, no kidding. The matchups this season were particularly lousy. I did not watch one minute of football on New Year's Day - that has never happened before. The middle-of-the-week bowls after the holidays are quite simply out of place. The NFL and college basketball belong then, not the Ho Hum Bowl.

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

All in all it was pretty miserable bowl season. The Cincy v. Florida game was terrible. West Virginia v. Fla. State? Yawn, what was WV doing there? They got man handled by a belowavg. Fla. State team. Last nights game featured a team in Texas who played no meaningful games throughout the entire season (Unless you want to count Neb. who has no QB) and an Alabama team who has an awesome D and Running game but can't throw the football. It was a yawner.

Looking forward to the NFL playoffs and College Basketball.

Comment

Roll Tide Roll

Being an alabama fan, i was sad to see mccoy go down because it turned the national championship into a yawner. Bama was content with running the clock and not worrying about 3-n-outs as long as the clock continued to run because we had so much faith in our D. Bama didnt blow texas out in the 3rd quarter when they could and should have if they didnt go into that ultra-conservative mode they went to, and it resulted in letting texas hang around and utlitmately think they had a chance w/out mccoy when it was clear they didnt. Texas is a very good team but w/out their only star offensive player (besides shipley), they were doomed.

And SEC deserves all the hoopla.... the numbers don't lie do they? We actually play defense and take pride in the fact that we can contain the Spread offense and can still win by running between the tackles then going play-action.
              Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Did anyone else grow tired of Brent Mushbooger

glorifying Mark Ingram’s convicted criminal father? Damn, the guys serving time for money laundering and bank fraud... why would ABC allow this BS talk during the national telecast? Mention it once and forget it Mushbooger.

“Ingram's father Mark - a hero for the Giants in Super Bowl XXV - is serving a 92-month sentence for money laundering and bank fraud.”
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I heard a little talk, but I dont remember any glorifying.

Comment

Originally posted by small tyme baller
                    And SEC deserves all the hoopla.... the numbers don't lie do they? We actually play defense and take pride in the fact that we can contain the Spread offense and can still win by running between the tackles then going play-action.
                    Alabama proved nothing about whether they could defend the spread. They proved that they could get a true freshman to turn the ball over, but otherwise had Gilbert move down the field on them and score once he got settled down a bit.

The offense ran the ball well, but could not protect the quarterback at all against the Texas pass rush, so if McCoy was playing the Texas offense was driving the score up, Alabama wouldn't have been able to wear out the Texas defense with time of possession and would have needed to pass the ball more. I see no evidence that they could have done so, since they had only one more completion than sack allowed.

Enjoy your national championship, but beating a Texas team without McCoy (and needing two late touchdowns off of turnovers to have any margin) proves nothing about who is the better team and about the SEC vs. the Big 12. Alabama may have beaten Texas with McCoy playing, but nothing about how the game went down does anything to prove that. If anything, Texas making the game as competitive as they did without McCoy suggests exactly the opposite.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Roll Tide Roll

Being an alabama fan, i was sad to see mccoy go down because it turned the national championship into a yawner. Bama was content with running the clock and not worrying about 3-n-outs as long as the clock continued to run because we had so much faith in our D. Bama didnt blow texas out in the 3rd quarter when they could and should have if they didnt go into that ultra-conservative mode they went to, and it resulted in letting texas hang around and utlitmately think they had a chance w/out mccoy when it was clear they didnt. Texas is a very good team but w/out their only star offensive player (besides shipley), they were doomed.

....and Texas probably would have beat Bama with McCoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwatchman
                        Roll Tide Roll

And, if my aunt had a penis, she would be my uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCity
                          And, if my aunt had a penis, she would be my uncle.
                          Aunt might have a bigger penis than you

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwatchman
                            Roll Tide Roll

Would'a, could'a, should'a. Some people just don't get it. Injuries are part of the game, as well as bad officiating, missed calls, and funny bounces of the ball. It happens. This was a portion as to why Texas lost, head scrathing play calls didn't help and the last time I checked, McCoy doesn't play defense.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                              Alabama proved nothing about whether they could defend the spread. They proved that they could get a true freshman to turn the ball over, but otherwise had Gilbert move down the field on them and score once he got settled down a bit.

The offense ran the ball well, but could not protect the quarterback at all against the Texas pass rush, so if McCoy was playing the Texas offense was driving the score up, Alabama wouldn't have been able to wear out the Texas defense with time of possession and would have needed to pass the ball more. I see no evidence that they could have done so, since they had only one more completion than sack allowed.

Enjoy your national championship, but beating a Texas team without McCoy (and needing two late touchdowns off of turnovers to have any margin) proves nothing about who is the better team and about the SEC vs. the Big 12. Alabama may have beaten Texas with McCoy playing, but nothing about how the game went down does anything to prove that. If anything, Texas making the game as competitive as they did without McCoy suggests exactly the opposite.
                              Delusional. Wow.

6-0 in BCS NCG's.

S-I-X and Z-E-R-O.

Come talk when the SEC gets beat. And when they do, I'll just throw the Big 12's record at ya again.

Oh did you forget that Auburn was snubbed when they had an undefeated team and didn't get to play for a NCG?

Midwesterners and their delusion that is football.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_
                                Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Delusional. Wow.

6-0 in BCS NCG's.

S-I-X and Z-E-R-O.

Come talk when the SEC gets beat. And when they do, I'll just throw the Big 12's record at ya again.

Oh did you forget that Auburn was snubbed when they had an undefeated team and didn't get to play for a NCG?

Midwesterners and their delusion that is football.
                                I can tell you right now that if Tebow had gone down in the National Championship game last year and Oklahoma would have won, every SEC fan on the planet would have been screaming about how it proved nothing about the SEC vs. the Big 12. You know what? They would have been right.

Injuries are part of the game, so it does not discredit Alabama as the National Champs, but I was refuting the idea that beating a McCoyless Texas team proves the overwhelming dominance of Alabama.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X