Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Turner Gill the right Head Football Coach for KU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Turner Gill the right Head Football Coach for KU?

I knew Perkins was going to pick Gill, and I was right, even before I found out about Perkins friendship with Gill. It must be Perkins belief in Gill, because Gill's record during the past 4 years at Buffalo do not justify the hiring, especially when considering some of the other coaches mentioned for the job.

Is Gill going to be the Ron Prince of KU? Will he just turn out to be a 'mediorce' coach that tries hard, or will he be a winner? I think Gill's recruiting ability, especially for Texas candidates figures into this hiring.

What do you think?

You should add a whatever option to your poll.

Thats my feeling on the subject - Whatever

Good if he is good if he isnt

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
      I think that is the "don't vote" option, and the one I selected.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
        I think that is the "don't vote" option, and the one I selected.
        every vote counts !

Comment

Re: Is Turner Gill the right Head Football Coach for KU?

Originally posted by Snapshot9
          I knew Perkins was going to pick Gill, and I was right, even before I found out about Perkins friendship with Gill. It must be Perkins belief in Gill, because Gill's record during the past 4 years at Buffalo do not justify the hiring, especially when considering some of the other coaches mentioned for the job.

Is Gill going to be the Ron Prince of KU? Will he just turn out to be a 'mediorce' coach that tries hard, or will he be a winner? I think Gill's recruiting ability, especially for Texas candidates figures into this hiring.

What do you think?
          I am not a KU fan by any means, but I would be excited for the hire if I was. Yes, his record wasn't anything spectacular at Buffalo, but he did take that program from one of, if not the worst in the NCAA to taking them to a bowl game for the first time in history. Also, being from Texas, it will give him a leg up on recruitment in that area (which I can't imagine recruiting to Buffalo would have been very successful. Now that he is at a big time BCS school, recruitment should come easier). Another thing, Gill was a hell of a player himself, so he will know what he is looking for and it will gain him respect in his player's eyes.
          The Assman

Comment

Although, Lew Perkins was the man who ended the WSU football program. So, any decision he makes I would take with a grain of salt.
            The Assman

Comment

I was hoping for a bigger name, I can't lie, but seeing the staff that he's putting together has been exciting. We already have Chuck Long for OC and Carl Torbush at DC. The rumors about some of the other position coaches he is bringing are equally impressive if they end up becoming official. Lew has completely opened up the checkbook for Turner's coaching staff.

We lost a few highly respected assistants in the process, though, which will hurt in the short term, especially with the recruiting connections we will lose.

I'm excited for next year. HCTG is exactly what KU's program needed right now; a guy to come in, heal some wounds left by Mangino and inject some positivity into a reeling program. We have our easier rotation of South games starting next season (A&M, Okie St and Baylor instead of OU, Texas and Tech), so that should help him get off to a good start.

Lews legacy at KU will forever be tied to this hire, that's for sure.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I'm taking the "I couldn't care less" option as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                  I'm taking the "I couldn't care less" option as well.
                  :good:
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My opinion:

In the short term, KU's program will dip. Although the chickenhawks have the easy schedule next year, I'd make an early guess that they'll only get to 6-7 wins, and go to a minor bowl.

Gill is solid, not a flashy hire. Lew's backside is on the line, especially after firing the most successful coach at KU in over 50 years.

I would expect that Gill will be loyal, and give KU 8 or so solid years. I don't think he'll ever take 'em to an Orange Bowl, though.

Comment

I hate the arguement that Gill had a losing record at Buffalo and they could have done better in the hiring. I'd like to see Mangino go to Buffalo and see if he could have gone 20-30 at that black hole.

Gill will be able to recruit Texas very well. Also, KU benefited from a easy Big 12 schedule, especially in their Orange Bowl season. Not having to play Texas, OU and Tech will do that for you.

For the life of me, KU again next year, does not have to play OU or Texas for another two years straight. They are the only Big 12 team that enjoys this type of scheduling, how is this possible?

KSU, since the Big 12 formed, has always played a home-and-home with OU for two straight years, then a home-and-home with Texas for two, then back again. Why KU doesn't do this is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                        I hate the arguement that Gill had a losing record at Buffalo and they could have done better in the hiring. I'd like to see Mangino go to Buffalo and see if he could have gone 20-30 at that black hole.

Gill will be able to recruit Texas very well. Also, KU benefited from a easy Big 12 schedule, especially in their Orange Bowl season. Not having to play Texas, OU and Tech will do that for you.

For the life of me, KU again next year, does not have to play OU or Texas for another two years straight. They are the only Big 12 team that enjoys this type of scheduling, how is this possible?

KSU, since the Big 12 formed, has always played a home-and-home with OU for two straight years, then a home-and-home with Texas for two, then back again. Why KU doesn't do this is beyond me.
                        They're special.

Comment

I voted "Yes" because he's the right man to run their program into the ground.

Comment

Working...
                          X