Offense for youth basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offense for youth basketball

I'm coaching a group of 3rd & 4th grade boys for Y-ball and looking for suggestions for an offense that is fairly simple and can be run against man or zone defense.

What I'm looking at right now is a 4-out, 1-in, 4-corners type of set where the two baseline players and the post player rotate depending on what the guards do with the ball.

After having one practice I've only got 2-3 players who I think can dribble, pass or shoot with any degree of success. So the focus at practices will be fundamentals at the most basic level. Any offense we run needs to simple enough that they can get it with only about 15-20 minutes of practice a week.

We're allowed an hour, of which 30-45 minutes will be fundamentals, drills and defense.

all i got to say RS, is good luck ;-)
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Just teach them to run, gun, dunk, shoot the three and smoke weed. Inform the parents you're preparing them for the NBA.

:yahoo:

Comment

The High - Low is very easy to teach. 2 big men cross (X) in the paint from high to low and three guards move the ball around the perimeter.
        Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

I think we used a version of the high-low when I was that age. Your 2 "bigs" can set picks for one another to try and free up an easy basket. We also had a variation where both bigs would flood to the off ball side to try and clear the side for the guard with the ball for a layup, and another where a big would pop out to set a pick on the wing defender and free up a drive or an open shot. If they play zone, as long as people keep moving and don't stand around, this simple offense at this age will get open shots as well.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Another simple play out of the high low, when the ball moves to the strong side guard, your low post needs to hold his postion at the low block. Your weekside guard goes baseline and curls around the low block for a pass from the strongside guard, for an open baseline shot. Make sure your high post cuts down the lane for a pass or rebound. I used this a lot, the weekside guard was usually my best shooter. If the low post defender releases from the low post, a bounce pass for any easy layup (at that age, nothing is easy) to your low post.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X