Fake virus software popup alerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake virus software popup alerts

Tens of millions of U.S. computers are loaded with scam security software that their owners may have paid for but which only makes the machines more vulnerable, according to a new Symantec report on cybercrime.

Cyberthieves are increasingly planting fake security alerts that pop up when computer users access a legitimate website. The "alert" warns them of a virus and offers security software, sometimes for free and sometimes for a fee.
    8)

Thats why I use a Mac
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Re: Fake virus software popup alerts

Originally posted by kcshocker11
    Thats why I use a Mac
    Next time I purchase a personal computer I plan to give Mac serious consideration.

Comment

I have both but only connect Mac to the interenet. I use the PC to program on
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Honestly if you take stupidity out of the equation, a PC is just fine. I've owned and worked with PC's for 20 years, also have worked with Macs the same number of years, just on a more limited basis. I've never used anti virus software on my personal computers and I've NEVER had a virus or spyware. I use the internet and download crap as much as anyone; it's just a matter of being smart about it. My parents, wife, sister and brother are all average to below average computer users...none have anti virus and none of them have ever had any type of malware on their computers. It's a matter of training people to be smart when using the web and not just click on every thing that pops up without reading it.

As for Macs, they're great and all, but extremely pricey. You're also limited on the software you can run. If you're a gamer (which I'm not) you're extremely limited. There are viruses out there for Macs, I've cleaned them off of computers for people in the past. Not nearly as many as PC's, because hackers would be wasting their time considering only 5% of computer users use a Mac. If you want to do any kind of upgrade to your Mac, forget about it. If your hard drive goes bad in your Mac Notebook...forget about it, it's cheaper to buy a new laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
          Honestly if you take stupidity out of the equation, a PC is just fine. I've owned and worked with PC's for 20 years, also have worked with Macs the same number of years, just on a more limited basis. I've never used anti virus software on my personal computers and I've NEVER had a virus or spyware. I use the internet and download crap as much as anyone; it's just a matter of being smart about it. My parents, wife, sister and brother are all average to below average computer users...none have anti virus and none of them have ever had any type of malware on their computers. It's a matter of training people to be smart when using the web and not just click on every thing that pops up without reading it.

As for Macs, they're great and all, but extremely pricey. You're also limited on the software you can run. If you're a gamer (which I'm not) you're extremely limited. There are viruses out there for Macs, I've cleaned them off of computers for people in the past. Not nearly as many as PC's, because hackers would be wasting their time considering only 5% of computer users use a Mac. If you want to do any kind of upgrade to your Mac, forget about it. If your hard drive goes bad in your Mac Notebook...forget about it, it's cheaper to buy a new laptop.
          A close friend is a computer forensics analyst/investigator/whatever catch phrase they're calling themselves this week. He said that maybe not a majority, but a fair amount of the viruses out there are actually created by the "anti-virus" software people so that you have to keep purchasing their updates.
          That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

I don't doubt that.

Comment

Working...
            X