Recent Deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Deaths

Here are a couple of recent deaths mentioned by the Associated Press.

Obituaries in the news

Henry Gibson

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Henry Gibson, the veteran comic character actor best known for his role reciting offbeat poetry on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," died Monday. He was 73.

Gibson's son, James, said Gibson died at his home in Malibu after a brief battle with cancer.

After serving in the Air Force and studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, Gibson — born James Bateman in Philadelphia in 1935 — created his Henry Gibson comic persona, a pun on playwright Henrik Ibsen's name, while working as a theater actor in New York. For three seasons on "Laugh-In," he delivered satirical poems while gripping a giant flower.
    Mary Travers

DANBURY, Conn. (AP) — Mary Travers, one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary, died Wednesday. She was 72.

Travers, who battled leukemia for several years, died at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut, said the band's publicist, Heather Lylis.

Travers joined forces with Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey in the early 1960s.

The trio mingled their music with liberal politics, both onstage and off. Their version of "If I Had a Hammer" became an anthem for racial equality. Other hits included "Lemon Tree," "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Puff (The Magic Dragon.)"

**** you 2009 **** you in your punk ass.

RIP to roc raida

Comment

Re: Recent Deaths

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
      Here are a couple of recent deaths mentioned by the Associated Press.

Obituaries in the news

Henry Gibson

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Henry Gibson, the veteran comic character actor best known for his role reciting offbeat poetry on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," died Monday. He was 73.

Gibson's son, James, said Gibson died at his home in Malibu after a brief battle with cancer.

After serving in the Air Force and studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, Gibson — born James Bateman in Philadelphia in 1935 — created his Henry Gibson comic persona, a pun on playwright Henrik Ibsen's name, while working as a theater actor in New York. For three seasons on "Laugh-In," he delivered satirical poems while gripping a giant flower.
      Mary Travers

DANBURY, Conn. (AP) — Mary Travers, one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary, died Wednesday. She was 72.

Travers, who battled leukemia for several years, died at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut, said the band's publicist, Heather Lylis.

Travers joined forces with Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey in the early 1960s.

The trio mingled their music with liberal politics, both onstage and off. Their version of "If I Had a Hammer" became an anthem for racial equality. Other hits included "Lemon Tree," "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Puff (The Magic Dragon.)"

I feel like two more icons from my child hood are gone.
      Henry Gibson was well known on Laugh-in.
      Mary was part of Peter, Paul and Mary. They were very much a part of the civil rights movement and the anti-war movement (they even sang "If I had a Hammer" and "Blowin in the Win" at the famous Martin Luther King I had a Dream speech in DC).

Comment

Working...
      X