Jazz Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Education

I've always listened to all types of music and do enjoy jazz but admit I know very little. I was just wondering if anyone on this fine board enjoys it and would mind sharing thier thoughts on who I should give a listen to or if there's anywhere in Wichita to enjoy some. I don't really care what style as I'm just trying to further diversify my music library and knowledge of the music. Surely at least one of you has something for me.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I'm not a huge Jazz fan, and don't know any local places, but do love the 'Space Cowboys' soundtrack. Nice compilation.

Comment

Start with John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Charlie Parker. Can't go wrong. Blue Train is a good Coltrane Album. Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain from Miles. And, anything from Parker. Hope this helps. See, I'm not all that bad...

Comment

Start with a crossover group. I suggest RTF (Return to Forever). The album Romantic Warrior is a good start.

Go to youtube and check out The Duel of the Jester and the tyrant Part 1 and part 2

Jerry Hahn is a good bet!

You might like his Jazz hymns album.

Have fun Sub!

PS I have played jazz for over 40 years and DJ 'd both rock and jazz back in the 70's 8)
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

For some good contemporary big band stuff, give the Big Phat Band a listen. Available on iTunes.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Just get some Charlie Parker and call it a day.

Comment

Jazz encompasses a WIDE array of music. Some who like smooth jazz (Gerald Albright, Dave Koz, Larry Carlton, David Sanborn) may not like straight ahead stuff (Miles Davis, Charlie Parker or more contemporary - Joshua Redmond). Then there's big band (old swing - Duke Ellington, Glenn Miler or contemporary - Big Phat Band) or fusion (Jeff Lorber and maybe Spyro Gyra).

My personal reccommendations, and keep in mind, outside of Spyro Gyra and Big Phat Band I haven't purchased much jazz in the last decade. And being a sax player, I'm a little partial . . .

Spyro Gyra
              Rippingtons
              Big Phat Band
              Kirk Whalum
              Joshua Redmond
              Denver and the Mile High Orchestra (wide range of original Christian big band with vocal)
              Maynard Furgeson
              Tower of Power (more soul, but they can groove!)

I haven't listened to a lot of traditional, straight ahead jazz, but those already listed (Coltrane, Davis, Parker) are good bets.

For live jazz, check the schedules of local coffee houses. I catch some at the Metropolitan Coffeehouse in Hutch so I bet Wichita is similar.

You can see plenty of all those on YouTube.

Comment

I appreciate all the recommendations and I'll be checking them all out when I get a chance. With my current computer issues it may take a while but I'll get there.

SC, I knew you couldn't be all bad :D
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Maybe some Medeski Martin and Wood or Critters Buggin for some newer trendier freestyle artists.

Comment

I used to only listen to jazz but have branched out some, let me try to remember some favorites:
                    Coltrane-Blue Train, Soultrane, Giant Steps, Afro Blue Impressions
                    Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
                    Count Basie-Montreaux '77
                    Sonny Rollins & Sonny Stitt w/Dizzy Gillespie-Sonny Side Up
                    Art Blakey-Moanin'
                    Maynard Ferguson-Live from San Francisco
                    Joshua Redman-Timeless Tales
                    Stan Getz & Kenny Barron-People Time
                    If you like big band-Bob Mintzer Incredible Journey

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, if I think of more looking around tonight I'll post them. And if you want to borrow any of these or get a copy just lmk.

Comment

I'm far from an expert, but a few of my favorites are:

Boney James - Saxophonist
                      Joe Sample - Pianist
                      Chris Botti - Trumpeter

Comment

Working...
                      X