New Admission Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Admission Standards

The Eagle has had articles about revised admission standards for state universities the last two days. The gov has asked the board of regents to review admission standards and raise them thus allowing ku to achieve a top 50 ranking and kstate to achieve a top 100 ranking nation wide. The article also said that this would allow WSU to rise above the lower 1/3 of schools nationally which according the the poll in us news and world report is where WSU is ranked. The same article asked that the regents look at the feasibility of founding a dental school at WSU. From the article it looks like ku is the flagship of the regents system with kstate as an also ran and WSU as the distant cousin that no one really wants to talk about. I can guarantee that no dental school will be placed at WSU because of lack of funds available now and in the future, but plans for the new admission standards which will require no money will be vigorously pursued and adopted. Why not shoot for 3 schools in the top 50 instead of relegating two other institutions to lesser rankings? Oh thats right. MONEY and we can only have one ku. ARROGANCE

I heard about this group http://www.flinthills.org/ and their apparent objections to WSU "carryover funds" in this Sunflower article http://www.thesunflower.com/web/isite.dll?1251374921779. I can only guess why WSU has carryover funds and it would be interesting to hear President Beggs explain why many faculty positions are not being filled when there is $42M "sitting in the bank." You might visit WSU and see that many classes are completely full or the students trying to get into full classes.

On the other hand, most of a university's budget is spent on people. Since the state of Kansas has been underfunding WSU for years and has been taking back money recently, it makes sense to hold a reserve "just in case" because it is much easier to delay buying capital equipment or a new construction project than it is to lay off people. If the state was to raid WSU's "carryover surplus" (e.g. money that departments earned in the past and are waiting to spend) and later make additional cuts to WSU funding, this could severely damage the university.

I would like to hear President Beggs explain these "savings." If these represent a sound reserve in tough times, he deserves our praise. If this represents money that the state of Kansas is going to "steal," then this represents a wasted opportunity to have invested in the university in the past. I strongly question the motives of the "Flint Hills Center for Public Policy" and suspect that it would be happy if Kansas had only one state university. (You can guess which one. ;-) )
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Re: New Admission Standards

Originally posted by pogo
      The Eagle has had articles about revised admission standards for state universities the last two days. The gov has asked the board of regents to review admission standards and raise them thus allowing ku to achieve a top 50 ranking and kstate to achieve a top 100 ranking nation wide. The article also said that this would allow WSU to rise above the lower 1/3 of schools nationally which according the the poll in us news and world report is where WSU is ranked. The same article asked that the regents look at the feasibility of founding a dental school at WSU. From the article it looks like ku is the flagship of the regents system with kstate as an also ran and WSU as the distant cousin that no one really wants to talk about. I can guarantee that no dental school will be placed at WSU because of lack of funds available now and in the future, but plans for the new admission standards which will require no money will be vigorously pursued and adopted. Why not shoot for 3 schools in the top 50 instead of relegating two other institutions to lesser rankings? Oh thats right. MONEY and we can only have one ku. ARROGANCE
      Pogo, I don't think it's KU hubris but rather a Regents system that since '63 has not placed WSU on the same footing as KU and KSU. It's time for that to change, but it will only change if local city leaders, students, alumni, and local industry demands it. The dropping of football came at a time when WSU had almost as many students as KSU (not credit hours, but students). Since that time the Regents have propped up KSU at WSU's expense.
      As a KU and WSU grad, I'm proud of both schools. However, it is time for the Regents to be proud of WSU. We are in a dog fight, and until we get more pro-WSU members on the Regents board, we will simply not get our deserved share. It's time for the state of Kansas to recognize that KU and WSU should be the two state flagship schools. It simply makes sense.

Comment

I think it is the legislature that allocates funding for each institution.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
          316 is correct, the solution is simple, get more Wichita State grads elected to the legislature than KU or KSU. Now about that pesty implementation issue :noidea:

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
            Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            316 is correct, the solution is simple, get more Wichita State grads elected to the legislature than KU or KSU. Now about that pesty implementation issue :noidea:

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
            So, the board of regents makes recommendations on funds to be appropriated to each university and then legislature votes on the measures?

Comment

Working...
            X