• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newshock1234
    Originally posted by ShockCity
    Dayton Moore sucks
    I think it has more to do with David Glass than Moore.
    David Glass isnt the one bringing in guys with horrible OBP. In fact Glass has increased the pay roll alot since we brought in Dayton Moore, and he continues to bring in guys Mike Jacobs and Juan Cruz
    David Glass refuses to give Moore the purse strings to bring in a top quality free agent. When you are jumping for joy over signing Jose Guillen and Coco Crisp, you can't honestly expect a great deal. The truth is the guys Moore is bringing in are all that is in the budget. It's a real shame to see what could be a great franchise continue to accept mediocrity from ownership. IMO, the buck always stops at the top.

Glass hasn't increased the payroll to what it should be. Is this what you consider increasing the payroll "alot" since Dayton Moore took over in 2006? They actually took a step down in 2008 and have been ranked about the same each year of Moore's tenure.

2009 payroll: $70,908,333 (ranked 21 out of 30 clubs)
    2008 payroll: $58,245,500 (ranked 25 out of 30 clubs)
    2007 payroll: $67,366,500 (ranked 22 out of 30 clubs)

Comment

Dayton Moore sucks
      David Glass isnt the one bringing in guys with horrible OBP. In fact Glass has increased the pay roll alot since we brought in Dayton Moore, and he continues to bring in guys Mike Jacobs and Juan Cruz
      David Glass refuses to give Moore the purse strings to bring in a top quality free agent. When you are jumping for joy over signing Jose Guillen and Coco Crisp, you can't honestly expect a great deal. The truth is the guys Moore is bringing in are all that is in the budget. It's a real shame to see what could be a great franchise continue to accept mediocrity from ownership. IMO, the buck always stops at the top.

Glass hasn't increased the payroll to what it should be. Is this what you consider increasing the payroll "alot" since Dayton Moore took over in 2006? They actually took a step down in 2008 and have been ranked about the same each year of Moore's tenure.

well thats too bad, its been proven you can win with a lesser payroll, just look at the marlins and twins. I will be willing to give him one more year. If you take out the 18-11 start, we would be pretty close to the worst record in baseball, and thats not acceptable, especially when you have the best pitcher in baseball.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Dayton Moore sucks

well thats too bad, its been proven you can win with a lesser payroll, just look at the marlins and twins. I will be willing to give him one more year. If you take out the 18-11 start, we would be pretty close to the worst record in baseball, and thats not acceptable, especially when you have the best pitcher in baseball.
        You may be able to win occasionally every now and then without large payrolls, but not consistently.

- 2008 Phillies won with a payroll ranked 13th ($98 Million)
        - 2007 Boston won with a payroll ranked 2nd ($144 Million)
        - 2006 St. Louis won with a payroll ranked 11th ($89 Million)
        - 2005 Chicago White Sox won with a payroll ranked 13th ($75 Million)
        - 2004 Boston Red Sox won with a payroll ranked 2nd ($127 Million)
        - 2003 Florida Marlins won with a payroll ranked 24th ($49 Million)
        - 2002 Anaheim won with a payroll ranked 15th ($62 Million)
        - 2001 Arizona won with a payroll ranked 8th ($85 Million)
        - 2000 NY Yankees won with a payroll ranked 1st ($93 Million)
        - 1999 NY Yankees won with a payroll ranked 1st ($88 Million)
        - 1998 NY Yankees won with a payroll ranked 2nd ($63 Million)

Comment

I didn't look this up, but I'd guess that year in and year out, there are low payroll teams that, if not in the payoffs, are very competitive. Some on a regular basis. Low payroll does not automatically = cellar deweller.

Comment

Dayton Moore sucks
            this is both truth and false.

Dayton Moore does suck. But So does David Glass.
            The Royals arent going to land the top talent no matter how much they pay. The Meche signing was a good signing. Regardless of the amount. Its to bad that they continue to put crap behind him to field and hit.

With that being said just shut yer yap and trust the process.

PS. Big payroll does not = teh win but it sure helps

Comment

The only ways one of those high-priced free agents will want to come to KC is if we develop enough home-grown talent to compete or we overpay.

We overpaid for Meche. Guillen wasn't really wanted anywhere and we still overpaid.

You can't point to just Moore or Glass or even both of them for KC's woes. It goes deep in the organization.

I don't care how many GM's you bring in, KC's success will start with scouts and player development personnel. Once they have success by drafting and developing players, then the GM can begin to work to bring in good free agents.

That Butler and Gordon aren't developing into the power core that was expected I have a feeling that this round of "youth movement" is dangerously close to being over. I give it one more year.

Comment

This is very true! I'm not sure you could get a top notch free agent to KC even if you offered them a ridiculous amount of money. So, how do you build a team as a small market, small payroll team? Through developing your farm system. Which the Royals have not been successful in doing.

Take a look at all of the small market teams who are successful and what do they have in common? They develop from within. That is the key. Also, once you have developed your farm system, it becomes much easier to bring in free agents when they see potential. That is when you need to add payroll and add free agents who fit your vision.

IMO, no matter how bad Moore or Hillman are, the buck has to stop with Glass. He is the top dog and it should all be on his shoulders. The fans deserve better.

Comment

I do think DM is rebuilding the farm system. Baird screwed it up beyond belief.

Some of the pitching prospects DM has received in trades haven't worked out so far (Lumsden, Pimental, Cortes) and the first-round picks aren't hitting like expected, yet. But it takes more time.

I think the biggest mistakes DM has made was bringing in Guillen, Jacobs and Crisp, with Guillen probably being the biggest risk. Crisp makes sense if you have great corner OF'ers, but Guillen and DDJ aren't. Jacobs would have been fine if he could replicate his NL numbers (something you should never count on) and we had good OBP guys to absorb his strikeouts.

I still have faith that the pitching staff will be pretty good next year. Hochevar is getting better (love how his strikeout #s are improving). Bannister appears to be adjusting well again and Davies can be a servicable #5. Meche is still decent and of course, there's Greinke.

But this team needs to score runs and I don't see any help in the upper minors. I don't expect Bianchi to be truly ready for another year or two. Kila may only be a AAAA player. Parraz still has to prove himself in Omaha but regardless won't provide much power. No, we're stuck with these guys for another year:

DDJ
                  Callaspo
                  Butler
                  Gordon
                  Teahen
                  Jacobs
                  Guillen
                  Betancourt
                  B. Pena

Comment

Like you've said it'll take time. There's some young promising players in the minors but they're not ready and there's obviously no guarantees. But this team does need to score runs and it would be nice to have more power. I haven't looked at what's going on in the minors for about a month or so but I've heard that both Moose and Hosmer have been struggling lately. But they're still pretty young as well. We also need to find some consistency in the pen. Outside of Soria there's really not a guy you can hand the ball to this year and feel confident he'll get it done.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

ShockCity: I know MLB salaries may be hard to pin down, but ESPN has the Royals at over $81 mill which is ranked 15th. They are spending money, just not wisely. I'd like to dump at least half of their top 10 paid players, including 3 of the top 4. Face it, we're never going to be top tier spenders.

I don't think we're talking about winning a WS here, so yes, most of the time a top 1/3 spender ends up winning it all. Let's hope for a respectable and competitive team first. I'd take what the Twins have done over the last 8 years in a heartbeat.

One thing we can all agree upon is the necessity for a quality farm system. Perhaps KC needs to spend more money on "off the field players". Improve their talent evaluators of both Major League players (trade/free agency) and of HS and college players and improve the "player development staff" of these young players. But then I guess Moore and Glass make those hiring decisions too.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                        Improve their talent evaluators of both Major League players (trade/free agency) and of HS and college players and improve the "player development staff" of these young players. But then I guess Moore and Glass make those hiring decisions too.
                        I think this was addressed at the beginning of the season when the head of scouting was replaced. It may take a long time to see much improvement in this area, because it has been so bad for so long.

Comment

only 6.5 games back from the nationals, come on royals i know you can do it
                          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                            ShockCity: I know MLB salaries may be hard to pin down, but ESPN has the Royals at over $81 mill which is ranked 15th. They are spending money, just not wisely. I'd like to dump at least half of their top 10 paid players, including 3 of the top 4. Face it, we're never going to be top tier spenders.

I don't think we're talking about winning a WS here, so yes, most of the time a top 1/3 spender ends up winning it all. Let's hope for a respectable and competitive team first. I'd take what the Twins have done over the last 8 years in a heartbeat.

One thing we can all agree upon is the necessity for a quality farm system. Perhaps KC needs to spend more money on "off the field players". Improve their talent evaluators of both Major League players (trade/free agency) and of HS and college players and improve the "player development staff" of these young players. But then I guess Moore and Glass make those hiring decisions too.
                            Not sure where you got the payroll info, but this ESPN link has the Royals at $71 Million and ranked 21st for 2009.

Comment

Once again, I'm going to make the trek up 435 to "the K" this evening as the mighty Royals take on the Mariners.

At least it's a "buck night". It's also '80s retro night (whatever that means).

Should be pretty fun.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                                Once again, I'm going to make the trek up 435 to "the K" this evening as the mighty Royals take on the Mariners.

At least it's a "buck night". It's also '80s retro night (whatever that means).

Should be pretty fun.
                                It means you need to be sporting your mullet, sunglasses with side-panels and neck-strap, stone-washed jeans and Ocean Pacific polo shirt. For kicks throw a Members Only or London Fog jacket over your shoulder!

Comment

Working...
                                X