Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is WSU Grad rate the lowest in Kansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is WSU Grad rate the lowest in Kansas?

Rates per school

Emporia State 45%
    Fort Hays 50%
    KSU 58%
    Pitt St 52%
    KU 60%
    WSU 42%

Is it because WSU is a urban University or what?
    Kind of embarrassing.

:posterwsu: 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Graduation rates are kind of tricky and alot depends on what they consider into the graduation rate. Is it everyone that took a course at WSU and did not finish their degree? Is it someone that started at WSU and subsequently graduated from a different school? I know several people that started at WSU and transferred to a different school because it was cheaper to stay and live at home and get some of the intial course work out of the way. After a year or two a person pretty well knows how to allocate time and knows if they are going to put forth the effort to complete a degree so in this respect WSU acts more or less to "weed" out the students that would not have graduated if those students had started elsewhere.

Comment

Sorry, had another thought along the lines of being an urban university. Because of the large population and ease of access I would imagine that many people that are not suited for college decide to give college a try since they have no other options at a particular juncture. To "go away" to college demands that a person have more of a personal committment in money and time.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
        Sorry, had another thought along the lines of being an urban university. Because of the large population and ease of access I would imagine that many people that are not suited for college decide to give college a try since they have no other options at a particular juncture. To "go away" to college demands that a person have more of a personal committment in money and time.
        Ding, ding, ding! Bingo, bango, bongo! :good: :good:
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Depending on which stats are used, students who started taking classes while in high school may not be counted. The stats that consider "first time freshmen" starting at WSU exclude these students from the pool.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            Depending on which stats are used, students who started taking classes while in high school may not be counted. The stats that consider "first time freshmen" starting at WSU exclude these students from the pool.
            The KC Star published similar results for Missouri with UMKC being at the bottom compared to the non-urban schools. Truman State had highest rate, UMKC the lowest at 43%. Keep in mind that many "non-traditional" students start and stop and restart then classes while they work full-time. Many take 6 years or more to finish. I am sure that affects the rate considerably. My sister took nearly 10 years to get her bachelors and master degrees at WSU.

As the Star also pointed out, US rates are lower, but the ability to re-enter the system after a false start is much better than in other countries. I think schools like WSU and UMKC are good examples of that...
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Urban schools will always have a large number of "continuing ed" students. Those just wanting to gain some new knowledge or advance their careers a little. Graduation isn't a goal, it's just a class here and there.

Comment

Working...
              X