Simon Malls Strikes Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Malls Strikes Again

First, they prevented a Tea Party from happening in ATL that was going to be on a neighboring property because they saw it as anti-Obama, now they're shutting down a small business because he sells conservative merchandise and some stuff critical of the president. I've yet to see/hear anything he's selling that is really any different than all the anti-Bush stuff that's been sold for the last 8 years...

Link
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Here is where I think Americans have lost their understanding of liberty, have taken non-discrimination too far, and are driven by materialism.

1. The mall, being a privately-run business, should be allowed to deny a store they don't want from locating there for any reason (subject to any contractual obligations).

2. Shoppers who don't like that the mall doesn't renew the lease should stop shopping there.

3. But most shoppers will continue to shop there because they just can't do without that Aeropostale shirt or drive further to another mall/store to get it.

Comment

Re: Simon Malls Strikes Again

Originally posted by SubGod22
      First, they prevented a Tea Party from happening in ATL that was going to be on a neighboring property because they saw it as anti-Obama, now they're shutting down a small business because he sells conservative merchandise and some stuff critical of the president. I've yet to see/hear anything he's selling that is really any different than all the anti-Bush stuff that's been sold for the last 8 years...
      Who is "they"? You mean the management of a mall which made a business decision that perhaps many of its customers and possible owners of the other shops might take offense, thus negatively affecting its bottom line. Thats just good business. I dont know about you but I dont recall any malls with negative Bush items. If you mean Tshirts or bumper stickers those are typically bought online. Greeting cards tend to be humorous not vicious.

I saw plenty of Clinton tees and bumper stickers, i didnt see a hugh conspiracy, some where quite funny.

If you feel so wronged about this I expect you to post a column when a local strip joint is forced to shut down because some took offense.

8)
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Perhaps if Obama has such an excellent diverse group of congressmen, that they can be considered experts on healthcare, could it be possible that they (the Congress), could redesign some American cars next, followed by assisting the guys at Boeing to figure out some of their structural problems on the 787? It would be great to have those two subjects handled before the WSU basketball season begins!

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
          Perhaps if Obama has such an excellent diverse group of congressmen, that they can be considered experts on healthcare, could it be possible that they (the Congress), could redesign some American cars next, followed by assisting the guys at Boeing to figure out some of their structural problems on the 787? It would be great to have those two subjects handled before the WSU basketball season begins!
          Ok I give up how does that relate to this topic? 8)
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Come on KC. Simon Malls can do whatever they want as they own the place, I'm just saying that this is twice in a month where they've targeted two seperate things that they view as anti-Obama. And I have seen stores that sold anti-Bush stuff as well. This was all based on ONE complaint that was way off base. Simon is also a large financial contributor to Obama.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I, for one, am thankful to hear who is contributing to the ruination of our great country so that I may make adjustments to who I support financially.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                Simon Malls can do whatever they want as they own the place, I'm just saying that this is twice in a month where they've targeted two seperate things that they view as anti-Obama. And I have seen stores that sold anti-Bush stuff as well. This was all based on ONE complaint that was way off base. Simon is also a large financial contributor to Obama.
                First off mall operators are generally large companies. They dont view things in a political way, this decision most likely was made on economics. Now I have seen some independent stores, usually in the "art or bohemein" areas with political wear, but not at shopping malls. Stores like used DVD stores.

Again if you feel so strong about this please post when an adult book store is forced to shutdown or better yet when I get denied putting a hog farm on my land in Village West. After all my right to raise hogs on my land is what counts.

Please feel free to boycott these mean economic decisions. The loss of revenue from the extremists will more than likely not be missed.

8)

Comment

I think it is really ironic that anti-Obama folks are now flipping to the other side that the anti-Bushees were on the previous eight years. For eight years, the dems whined and complained about Bush and talked about how their efforts to go against him were suppressed, and now it has completely switched. It just proves to me that the two-party system in this country is a failure and that people fail to see the forest through the trees. It's all about party politics and not what's really good for the country. It's about whining because I can't buy an anti-Obama bobblehead or an I love Palin t-shirt and not about what's really important. This country needs to get a grip on reality.

Comment

Why should he report on it if it isn't of concern to him? You are missing the point entirely. And since you think like a liberal, you probably won't understand.

The point Sub is making (or at least, the point I'm seeing) is that a corporation is showing a trend of discrimination against those with an ideology that contradicts their own (which is clear based on campaign contributions). That information may sway those of us who, while recognizing Simon's right to do what they want, prefer our consumer spending go somewhere else.

Whether or not it makes an impact on Simon's bottom line isn't necessarily the point. The point is principle. Some of us no longer think collectively and realize that abandoning principle for pragmatism hasn't been a good thing. Hopefully, more people will begin to realize that and corporations that choose to throw their hat in the political ring will reap the consequences, good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCity
                      It's about whining because I can't buy an anti-Obama bobblehead or an I love Palin t-shirt and not about what's really important. This country needs to get a grip on reality.
                      While I agree with your assessment of the two-party system we have, who is whining about not being able to buy something?

It seems you're also not seeing the forest.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        It's about whining because I can't buy an anti-Obama bobblehead or an I love Palin t-shirt and not about what's really important. This country needs to get a grip on reality.
                        While I agree with your assessment of the two-party system we have, who is whining about not being able to buy something?

Ok, people are too busy whining about why they can't protest a Bush appearance or why they can't hold a tea party on a mall property than focusing on what's really important. There are any number of places to hold your protest. Get over it and find a new place that will allow it. The next thing you know the tea party people will be calling in the ACLU, now wouldn't that be ironic.

Comment

Why should he report on it if it isn't of concern to him? You are missing the point entirely. And since you think like a liberal, you probably won't understand.

The point Sub is making (or at least, the point I'm seeing) is that a corporation is showing a trend of discrimination against those with an ideology that contradicts their own (which is clear based on campaign contributions). That information may sway those of us who, while recognizing Simon's right to do what they want, prefer our consumer spending go somewhere else.

Whether or not it makes an impact on Simon's bottom line isn't necessarily the point. The point is principle. Some of us no longer think collectively and realize that abandoning principle for pragmatism hasn't been a good thing. Hopefully, more people will begin to realize that and corporations that choose to throw their hat in the political ring will reap the consequences, good or bad.
                          :yes:
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Ok, people are too busy whining about why they can't protest a Bush appearance or why they can't hold a tea party on a mall property than focusing on what's really important. There are any number of places to hold your protest. Get over it and find a new place that will allow it. The next thing you know the tea party people will be calling in the ACLU, now wouldn't that be ironic.
                            The protest wasn't even on mall property and Simon didn't say anything until it was too late to relocate.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

So, ShockCity, if I'm reading you right, you don't think that a land owner giving use of his land and being told by local government he can't because his neighbor doesn't like it isn't a big deal? Private property is a fundamental, constitutional issue. When a property owner isn't allowed to use his property for legal purposes, that's a huge issue.

Or are the trees blocking your view again?

Comment

Working...
                              X