No announcement yet.

Obama sticks up for disorderly conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are real cases of racial profiling and police abuse of power. This isn't one of them. I've actually seen worse cases (less evidence) of disorderly conduct that were filed. Move on please.
    Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
      Doesn't the fact that the "disorderly" charges against Gates were dropped so quickly kind of underline the fact that the cop was wrong? It doesn't appear as if you can you even be "disorderly" in your own house without the aid of other devices (so that his voice would be audible on the street outside his home). Here's the code he was charged with:

Common night walkers, common street walkers, both male and female, common railers and brawlers, persons who with offensive and disorderly acts or language accost or annoy persons of the opposite sex, lewd, wanton and lascivious persons in speech or behavior, idle and disorderly persons, disturbers of the peace, keepers of noisy and disorderly houses, and persons guilty of indecent exposure may be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than six months, or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment

I'd like to think that being accosted in your own house by a representative of the government is something both the left and right can agree isn't a good thing.

I'd also like to think that that handcuffing a guy who needs a cane to walk in his own home for a crime it's VERY debatable he's even capable of committing is kind of stupid. The officer not giving his name and ID number when requested as required by law is just adding on.

And as far as Gates' attitude is concerned, I feel it's very reasonable to be upset by being arrested a few moments after entering your house, a house you're pretty sure had either been broken into or at least came close, for a crime you didn't commit by a person who should of been there to help.
      To answer your question that since the charges were dropped, means this cop was wrong? The answer to that is simply NO. The question should be if Gates had been cooperative with the officer, would he have been arrested?

Also, Mr. Gates was not accosted in his home! He was questioned, to be able to determine if he was actually the home owner. Why he finds this racist is bewildering to me!

The cop hand cuffed him, he didn't leg cuff him. Infact Gates complained the cuffs were to tight and the police loosened them for him. They also went inside the home to get his walking cane for him.

Also, Mr. Gates was not arrested for breaking into his own home, he was arrested for disorderly conduct.

This whole racist thing is way over played. PBO is just as guilty. The race card is played way to much and the problem with that is when it is truely warranted, it makes some wonder (like the boy who called wolf).

Finally, I wouldn't even have weighed in here, but you continuely twisted the facts and invented some of your own. You can spin this to make it make sense to yourself, but the rest of us don't have to buy into your bending of the truth.

I guess I didn't have to read you comments, but I did!

Comment

hmmm.....

SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
          As a liberal extremist, I keep wondering what happened to the neighbor in her life that would make her want to call the police when she sees 2 men (who she can't identify) trying to break into a house in her neighborhood?
          Gates' 911, radio tapes to be released

Lucia Whalen placed the call to police July 16, saying she saw two men on Gates' front porch who appeared to be trying to force open the front door. The call led to the arrest of Gates by Cambridge police on a disorderly conduct charge, and a resulting national debate about racial profiling.

In the statement by attorney Wendy Murphy, Whalen — who has not spoken publicly — said she only saw the backs of the two men and did not know their race when she made the call. Murphy said Whalen, who works nearby, called because she had been aware of recent break-ins in the area and wanted to correct "misinformation" suggesting that she placed the call because the men on the porch were black.

"Contrary to published reports that a 'white woman' called 911 (police) and reported seeing 'two black men' trying to gain entry into Mr. Gates home, the woman, who has olive colored skin and is of Portuguese descent, told the 911 operator that she observed 'two men' at the home," Murphy's statement read.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
            Originally posted by rZ
            As a liberal extremist, I keep wondering what happened to the neighbor in her life that would make her want to call the police when she sees 2 men (who she can't identify) trying to break into a house in her neighborhood?
            Gates' 911, radio tapes to be released

Lucia Whalen placed the call to police July 16, saying she saw two men on Gates' front porch who appeared to be trying to force open the front door. The call led to the arrest of Gates by Cambridge police on a disorderly conduct charge, and a resulting national debate about racial profiling.

In the statement by attorney Wendy Murphy, Whalen — who has not spoken publicly — said she only saw the backs of the two men and did not know their race when she made the call. Murphy said Whalen, who works nearby, called because she had been aware of recent break-ins in the area and wanted to correct "misinformation" suggesting that she placed the call because the men on the porch were black.

"Contrary to published reports that a 'white woman' called 911 (police) and reported seeing 'two black men' trying to gain entry into Mr. Gates home, the woman, who has olive colored skin and is of Portuguese descent, told the 911 operator that she observed 'two men' at the home," Murphy's statement read.

Damn, I just hate facts. ;-)

That's a fact jack!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Of course, I didn't read your posts. I just thought you might enjoy http://xkcd.com/617/. (Sorry if somebody beat me to it. :D )
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Here's a skit they had on the Tonight Show the other day.

Blue & Black Lager (7/29/09)

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                  Here's a skit they had on the Tonight Show they other day.

Blue & Black Lager (7/29/09)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                  X