North Korea Tests Nuke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    Which is why you go to the bargaining table and try to get a solution worked out diplomatically. If that fails, the situation is basically where it is right now. But it has to be done quickly.
    Haven't we been there for a day or month or year or two? Isn't it "give us something, or we'll do something bad"?

It's time for action, or surrrender. I assume our President will give Korea what they want, which will lead to spread of nuclear weapons to Iran, and that will lead to President giving them what they want, which will lead to spread of nuclear weapons to Venezuela, and that will lead to the President giving them what they want, which will lead to some 3rd world african country getting nuclear weapons, and that will lead to a coup and the weapons ending up in the hands of some terrorist group because they had the balls to do something other than talk.

This is not a Rep-Dem thought, this is a US year 2009 thought.

It's time to put up AND shut up.

Comment

Which is why you go to the bargaining table and try to get a solution worked out diplomatically. If that fails, the situation is basically where it is right now. But it has to be done quickly.
      Are you being serious? If so, can you provide an example of what our diplomatic efforts, throughout the past three Administrations, have accomplished with regard to this issue other than allow the North Koreans to exercise what I think could be fairly described as extortion?

What would direct talks, if that is what you are suggesting; with North Korea do at this point other than elevate their leaders to our level – which is clearly, part of what they want. Let’s face it – without this nuclear issue North Korea would get about as much international attention as Djibouti.

And what exactly is the “solution” you would be seeking from this diplomacy? And how is that end different, if at all, from what we have already endeavored to bring about through the past diplomatic efforts we have engaged in?

I find myself sympathizing with Mr. or Miss Downtown….Brown’s position on this one.

Comment

I don't know what exactly has been discussed with NK. Does anyone else here really know? Knowing our country and how it views communist regimes, I doubt we've offered serious concessions regarding the lifting of sanctions. We're too

Let's face reality here. The odds of a country other than the US leading a military offensive is low. Do we really have the troops to wage another "operation"? Thanks to Iraq, I doubt it.

I'm tired of the war-mongering. If removing sanctions is what it takes to get them to abandon and destroy their nuclear weapons program, then I'm all for it. Of course, they would have to concede to allowing a coalition of countries to oversee it. Their word won't be good enough. I'm not suggesting we make a deal, shake hands, and walk away.

They are already at the point of being able to sell their technology whether we or anyone else strike them. I'd rather we (the free world) get control of their program and squash it before it can proliferate.

If that isn't an option - which would be revealed after serious negotiations - then I would be OK with a military initiative, as long as the US isn't leading it.

Comment

The US won't lead anything over the next few years. Action in this will be left up to Japan who might be worried enough at some point to do something. I'm not sure where Russia stands on this and wouldn't fully believe anything they'd say anyway. China won't do a thing.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I don't know what exactly has been discussed with NK. Does anyone else here really know? Knowing our country and how it views communist regimes, I doubt we've offered serious concessions regarding the lifting of sanctions. We're too

Let's face reality here. The odds of a country other than the US leading a military offensive is low. Do we really have the troops to wage another "operation"? Thanks to Iraq, I doubt it.

I'm tired of the war-mongering. If removing sanctions is what it takes to get them to abandon and destroy their nuclear weapons program, then I'm all for it. Of course, they would have to concede to allowing a coalition of countries to oversee it. Their word won't be good enough. I'm not suggesting we make a deal, shake hands, and walk away.

They are already at the point of being able to sell their technology whether we or anyone else strike them. I'd rather we (the free world) get control of their program and squash it before it can proliferate.

If that isn't an option - which would be revealed after serious negotiations - then I would be OK with a military initiative, as long as the US isn't leading it.
            Are you suggesting that the Clinton, Bush and now Obama (in the limited time it has had) Administrations have not been seriously engaged in attempting to secure a diplomatic solution? I don’t think that is fair thing to imply. What I do think is fair is the assessment that those efforts have failed, embarrassingly so. I don’t have time to research this thoroughly but I feel very safe writing that we (the United States and its Allies) have attempted, in various ways to provide various incentives for North Korea.

If the lifting of economic sanctions on North Korea would have been enough to convince the Dear Leader to abandon his nuclear program (together, of course, with effective procedural safeguards to ensure compliance, which is not an easy thing to achieve, please refer to Iraq prior to our invasion) – our past diplomatic efforts, over the past 10 years or so, would have already achieved that result. Not for nothing but part of the reason the economic sanctions exist in the first place is the concern over North Korea’s efforts to proliferate weapons of mass destruction, which includes but is not limited to, nuclear weapons/technology.

Unfortunately a military option is probably off the table for a variety of reasons – some of which you rightly noted. I write “unfortunately” not because I am endorsing military action (or “war-mongering” as you put it) but a creditable military option is the one thing that could actually give us real leverage. One thing I know the Dear Leader understands and respects is the use of force.

I already wrote that I don’t have a “solution”. But I do know that our diplomacy has achieved abysmal results. Furthermore, I am having a hard time viewing your suggested course of action as realistic.

Comment

A very interesting piece in the Atlantic on this subject:

Comment

I saw on Digg & Wikipedia today that somebody decided to edit the page about the Korean War. Somebody edited the page to say that since the North Korean Military is withdrawing from the 1953 armistice, the Korean War has restarted. Here is the screenshot on Digg.

Comment

N. Korea Fires Another Missile, Slams United Nations
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

There are indications that a naval clash may occur in the near future. Chinese fishing boats in and near the Northern Limit Line have started withdrawing.

Comment

S. Korea Criticizes N. Korea Over Nuclear, Missile Tests
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

N. Korea Prepares Missile, Alaska Within Reach
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          If they launch one at Alaska, that'll be the last thing that country ever does militarily. And I wouldn't be surprised if another country levels their nuclear power plant.

Comment

N. Korea to Fire More Missiles as Kim's Son Named Successor
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

North Korea is waiting for UNSC move before their next provocation. South Korea started moving Attack Helicopters and Artillery in position to respond to any NK provocation near their western sea border.

Comment

Clinton: U.S. Will Consider Putting North Korea Back on Terror List
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X