Fighting Sioux No More...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Sioux No More...

Looks like UND will be finding a new nickname...
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

The other day I was on Hendrix College's website and wondered, how come nobody ever complains about their mascot? (The Warriors)

And then I read this:
    In 2006 Hendrix began using images of its new Warrior mascot that draws on a classic, barbaric vision of a warrior – including leather armor and face-painting – after it discontinued using its traditional Native American warrior imagery in 2001. The college moved to eliminate the use of Native American imagery to promote its athletics teams well before the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) implemented its ban on such imagery in February 2006.

So in conclusion, representing Native American Warriors is wrong, but representing Anglo-Saxon Warriors is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
      The other day I was on Hendrix College's website and wondered, how come nobody ever complains about their mascot? (The Warriors)

And then I read this:
      In 2006 Hendrix began using images of its new Warrior mascot that draws on a classic, barbaric vision of a warrior – including leather armor and face-painting – after it discontinued using its traditional Native American warrior imagery in 2001. The college moved to eliminate the use of Native American imagery to promote its athletics teams well before the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) implemented its ban on such imagery in February 2006.

So in conclusion, representing Native American Warriors is wrong, but representing Anglo-Saxon Warriors is okay.

If a bunch of white people complain about this will they have to change the mascot again?

I've still never understood how most of these are considered offensive.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
        Yes.

Comment

I thought this might be more jermain to the discussion.

Comment

So, if descendants of the original pioneers of Oklahoma band together and protest OU's Sooner mascot, they will change the name so it is not so offensive? What about the farmers in Nebraska--Cornhuskers?

Being of Irish descent, I am terribly offended by Notre Dame's mascot. :)

Comment

Will someone please explain why the "Fighting Irish" is perfectly fine but the "Fighting Sioux" is somehow demeaning. :noidea:

Comment

Excellent points by all.

Isn't there some midwestern college that changed it's name to the Fightin' Whites? What about that one?

(By the way, I think it's hilarious and have not problem with it.)
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I believe that's some Indy baseball team Fever.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Couldn't they just put a bra on the Hendrix College mascot and call themselves the "Fighting Sue"?

Comment

There are lots and lots of mascots that represent ethnic groups or a particular type of people:

Shockers, Vandals, Vikings, Fighting Swedes, Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners, Rangers, Texans, Lakers, 49ers, 76ers, Saints, Islanders, Flyers, Cavaliers, Reds, Browns, Nationals; this can go on and on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        Excellent points by all.

Isn't there some midwestern college that changed it's name to the Fightin' Whites? What about that one?

The "Fightin' Whites" were an intramural basketball team at N. Colorado. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

Comment

It's about time they changed it. I obviously must be the only Indian on this board. And, before someone says it, NO 1/16 "Generokee" doesn't count. I've already wasted too much of my life trying to explain this to people who had made up their mind and didn't want to listen to reason. So I will not post on this thread again.

If you really want some answers, go on campus and talk to Professor Jerry Shaw and ask him about the mascot issue. Is everyone surprised WSU actually has a real indian on the faculty? But of course you knew that already.

Comment

Originally posted by sekshoxfan
                            Originally posted by ShockerFever
                            Excellent points by all.

The "Fightin' Whites" were an intramural basketball team at N. Colorado. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites
                            The funny thing is that they made so much money on the sales of their new logo/mascot, that they had more $$ than they knew what to do with.

And if Fightin Whites was meant to be 'degrading', why were they worried about white supremacists getting ahold of them?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by sekshoxfan
                              It's about time they changed it. I obviously must be the only Indian on this board. And, before someone says it, NO 1/16 "Generokee" doesn't count. I've already wasted too much of my life trying to explain this to people who had made up their mind and didn't want to listen to reason. So I will not post on this thread again.

If you really want some answers, go on campus and talk to Professor Jerry Shaw and ask him about the mascot issue. Is everyone surprised WSU actually has a real indian on the faculty? But of course you knew that already.
                              I have family that fall into the Indian category. And they're not like me who is around 1/16 or so. None of them have ever had an issue with it. There are a number of those who support the name in the two tribes that must approve of it. But from what I've seen they're not the "ranking members".
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X