What's the tipping point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the tipping point?

I'm just curious to see what some opinions are on this. It is getting less far fetched by the day, in my opinion.

At what point do states seriously consider and move to act on seceeding from the union?

At some point, there are going to be citizens that will not put up with tax rates higher than 50% on everyone and the federal government taking more control over the liberties vested by the constitution. It is inevitable. We are not like Europe and dictatorships.

Another quesion would be, if a state was to move in this way, what do you see the Washington response being?

I'm just curious.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Seceeding, or trying to, is a ways away. However, I do think you're going to start seeing more states challenge the authority of the gov't like you have recently in Montana with the gun law and with what Texas, Tennessee and Utah are doing. It'll go farther and some are advocating a Constitutional Convention to repeal the 16th Amendment. If enough states called for that the US gov't would backtrack quickly or face quite the revolt by many states. I don't know how long it would take to get 35 states to call for it though...
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

This is nuts. Many people in Kansas politics think, politely, that I am "extremely conservative".

Leaving the U.S. is black-helicopter, crazy talk.

Comment

Go ahead & seceed but don`t expect the govt to help you or help for free when your state is impacted by a natural disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU
          Go ahead & seceed but don`t expect the govt to help you or help for free when your state is impacted by a natural disaster.
          If a state seceded, wouldn't they form the have their own government who would deal with the natural disasters? I mean if your Texas with the 2nd largest GDP in the Nation and 15th largest in the world you probably don't really care.

Or if your California with the No. 1 GDP in the U.S., who gets only 78 cents on the dollar for every tax dollar taken by Washington D.C. you would probably would be better off.

We did fight a war over this and it has been pretty much determined that no state has a right to seceed from the union (that even includes Texas).

Comment

I'm not sure of the details but I think many states have approved a Constitutional Convention over the past few decades and we are only a few (2 or 3?) states short of getting it. (Don't quote me on that, though.)

As for secession, if it has been determined to be illegal in the past, that can always be changed. But without the right to secede, the idea of self-determination loses a lot of its meaning.

Crazy talk or not, I'd would be interesting to see what happened if a group of states, say Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas (maybe add Nebraska) explored secession. But just like last time, a war of aggression would probably squelch it.

Comment

If this happens the NCAA tournament as we know it would be totally screwed up. Not to mention every time WSU looked at a recruit from Texas a whole Ehimen Orupke type of saga would be repeated. Getting transcripts and test scores out of Africa will seem like a piece of cake compared to what the new confederacy might require.

Comment

Working...
              X