Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Souter to retire

Souter to retire from Supreme Court

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court Justice David Souter plans to retire, after more than 19 years on the court, once the current term ends in late June, NBC News reported Thursday night.

A retirement by Souter, 69, would give President Barack Obama his first chance to nominate a justice and the next few months would bring Senate confirmation hearings. His departure, however, isn't likely to change the court's liberal-conservative composition, because his successor will almost certainly be moderate to liberal, NBC News correspondent Pete Williams reported.

A real disappointment to the 1st Bush administration that claims to cry when he thinks of the Bush v. Gore decision.

He writes with a fountain pen and does not use email, has no cell phone, no answering machine, and no television. He prefers to drive back to New Hampshire for the summer and has never married.

So with 60 votes in the Senate, does PBO nominate William Ayers?
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

Sounds like a unabomber lifestyle mentality.

Wonder how he could ever rule on cases that dealt with the internet, email, text messages with him not even using them ???

Comment

Possible replacement? I sure as hell hope not.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
          The one thing the Specter defection did is make possibly harder for Obama nomination to get out of the Judiciary committee. At least one republican has to vote yes (unless of course the Demcrats change the rules).

Specter was seen as the most likely member to vote with the Democrats.

Republican members are now Orrin Hatch (Utah), Charles Grassley (IA), Jon Kyl (AZ), Jeff Sessions (AL), Lindsey Graham (SC), John Cornyn (TX) and Tom Coborn (OK)

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

Yikes. William Ayers looking good.......

Comment

At the same time, he said, "I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a case book. ..... I view that quality of empathy, of understanding and identifying with people's hopes and struggles as an essential ingredient for arriving at just decisions and outcomes."
              You got to be kidding me. He want a judge that will sit on the bench and say "I know the law is against you, but because of your hopes and struggles its ok?"

Comment

Obama worried more about the psychological makeup of the persons bringing cases to the court and the psychological impact than he is about following the law as it written.

Don`t forget folks: Obama was a constitutional law professor. 8)

Comment

Sadly, President (or Professor) Obama needs a refresher course in Constitutional Law and in general jurisprudence. When he sanctimoniously states that he will nominate judges that show a capacity for “empathy” for the litigants when deciding cases before them, it seems to me to be the antithesis of what one would want in a Supreme Court Justice or from any Court for that matter.

Simply put – “empathy” is something you hope your elected representatives have when they pass laws. A Court’s role is to interpret and apply those laws without “empathy” toward particular litigants.

Why else would “Lady Justice” be blindfolded?

Comment

Sounds like a way to institute a U.N. mentality among our nations highest court, when that spirit is already there (Ginsberg).

I am not amused.

Comment

I am reminded by a line that goes something like "He is the damned dumbest smart person I know".

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                        I am reminded by a line that goes something like "He is the damned dumbest smart person I know".
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Sometimes the "Big Guy" is the "Good Guy"

I heard someone say the other day that the smallest and least protected "minority" is the individual.

Without protecting "Individual" rights, we are not looking out for the smallest minority.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Obama's High Court Shortlist Includes Napolitano (Not Andrew), Granholm
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I don't understand how anyone, based upon her performance so far, could seriously consider Janet Napolitano.

She is an embarrassing public official. She may have a good heart, I have no idea, but I can promise you she is not qualified to hold a position with that much at stake.

I may not "know it when I see it", but I certainly "know when it's not, when I see it".

This is getting progressively worse every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X