X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Specter switches parties

I can't say I didn't see this coming.

Veteran GOP Sen. Specter switches parties

WASHINGTON - Veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter announced Tuesday that he is switching parties, a move would give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 seats if Al Franken is seated in the Minnesota race.

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," the Pennsylvania senator said in a statement.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," Specter said, adding that the "change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans."

No real surprise. I've thought he was more of a Dem anyway.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
      No real surprise. I've thought he was more of a Dem anyway.
      Hence the problem. Moderates would seem to be more Democratic to those who lean far "right". The Republican Party leaves little room for moderates. I am not sure the Democratic Party does either. Maybe there needs to be a moderate party and leave the extremists to their own ends.

Comment

Both parties are being run by the far left of their group.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Re: Senator Specter switches parties

WASHINGTON - Veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter announced Tuesday that he is switching parties, a move would give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 seats if Al Franken is seated in the Minnesota race.

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," the Pennsylvania senator said in a statement.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," Specter said, adding that the "change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans."
          There has been debate within the RNC whether to continue to fund Specter's campaigns. I would guess this means someone at the RNC finally had the cajones to cut this guy off and give party money to someone who actually supports Republicans in Pennsylvania.

Like this guy:
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

If so I do not think the left wing of the Republican party is running things. Bye, bye to moderates.

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock
              If so I do not think the left wing of the Republican party is running things. Bye, bye to RINOS.
              Fixed that for you...
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Good luck with 20 to 30% of the fringe votes.

Comment

Spector was also looking at a major primary defeat in the next election, should he run as a Republican.

It's all about keeping the power.

Comment

If so I do not think the left wing of the Republican party is running things.
                    That's what they want you to think. On the political spectrum both parties are closer to Government control of everything than to the actual Constitution. The Constitution sits on the right side of things and neither party has been in the same time zone as it in a long, long time.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      If so I do not think the left wing of the Republican party is running things.
                      That's what they want you to think. On the political spectrum both parties are closer to Government control of everything than to the actual Constitution. The Constitution sits on the right side of things and neither party has been in the same time zone as it in a long, long time.
                      What is this "constitution" you speak of?

Signed,
                      Congress, PoTUS, SCoTUS.

P.S. Stop talking about a third party. There is only one, errrr, two sides to any issue. Trust us. We're your government and we care about you.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        Spector was also looking at a major primary defeat in the next election, should he run as a Republican.

It's all about keeping the power.
                        It's an even trade, a Lieberman for a Spector. Now if only we could get a salary cap and get them to wear their corporate sponsors on their uniforms like racecar drivers...

Comment

Lieberman is no more a republican than I am thin.

Boy, it sure gives me the warm fuzzies to think a great American like Al Franken is the de facto deciding vote to choke off a possible filibuster on an important issue to the country.

If there isn't a bloodletting at the next several national elections, on both sides, I don't think much of our electorate.

Comment

Doesn't he sound like the guy that played Howard on Andy Griffith and Mayberry RFD?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              Lieberman is no more a republican than I am thin.

Boy, it sure gives me the warm fuzzies to think a great American like Al Franken is the de facto deciding vote to choke off a possible filibuster on an important issue to the country.

If there isn't a bloodletting at the next several national elections, on both sides, I don't think much of our electorate.
                              Doc never pictured you as heavy 8)
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X