Pontiac - has gone the way of the DoDo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac - has gone the way of the DoDo

Too bad, I liked the Soltice, their new G8 and the newer GTO was a nice car, rather plain looking but still nice.

26,000 workers unemployed in a year, that is what is really sad.

Re: Pontiac - has gone the way of the DoDo

Originally posted by KC Shox
    Too bad, I liked the Soltice, their new G8 and the newer GTO was a nice car, rather plain looking but still nice.

26,000 workers unemployed in a year, that is what is really sad.
    Read your topic heading twice... thought at first you were referring to the late Dofo.

:D
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I always thought Pontiac, Olds (Intrigue, Alero, Aurora) and Cadillac were the only GM makes that had decently aesthetic designs. (Though it's clear the new GTO was a failure, considering the success of the Mustang. They shouldn't have imported the Holden and instead, redesigned it to resemble the mid-60s models, but I digress.)

Now all that remains is Cadillac. Though I do like the look of the new Chevy Malibu.

I've owned/driven 12 vehicles - not counting my motorcycle - in my lifetime (years approximate):

GM
      '63 Chevy II (Anybody know of any 2-door Novas for sale from this era?)
      '83 Olds Cutlass
      '84 Pontiac TransAm
      '94 Saturn SL2 (Solid)
      '96 Olds Cutlass
      '97 Chevy Venture
      '98 Olds Intrigue (nice car!)
      '99 Olds Silhouette (still have it and has been pretty decent)
      '00 Chevy S10 4x4 (I really miss this pickup)

Dodge
      '93 Spirit (Inherited when I got married. blech!)
      '98 Dakota

Ford
      '05 Escape

I think I've had more unexpected problems with the one Ford (including some highly questionable service) than with all the GMs combined.

All that to say that while GM needs to take its lumps for its business decisions, I think their product was better than either Ford or Chrysler and am sad to now see two of their brands (Olds and Pontiac) be dropped.

Comment

I drive a pontian grand am.

I love it

Comment

No wonder they were going broke, it cost them 10K more to produce the Soltice / Sky than they sold them for.

You cannot make that up on volume no matter how many you sell.
          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

I've never had a problem with my Pontiac and both of my parents have liked the ones they've had in the past. I was a little bummed when I read this news earlier today.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              I've never had a problem with my Pontiac and both of my parents have liked the ones they've had in the past. I was a little bummed when I read this news earlier today.
              I love my little GTO! :yahoo:

I don't care what anyone says... RV is a dang funny flick. Cheryl Hines's performance of Little GTO had me laughing for days. aWaaaWaaAAAAAA! Waaawawawawawaa...

P.S. ... and for the older crowd... that's me! :good: :good:

Here are some GTO Shots to view as Ronnie & The Daytonas do their classic 1960's song 'Little GTO.'NOTE: If you viewed and/or uploaded the previous version o...

Comment

Very sad my folks had a 67 Pontiac Lemans when I was a kid, it was a great car and looked very cool.
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I'm 69 yrs,old and I've had a few P ontiacs myself. A 1955, A new 66 Lemans 2 dr. hardtop 6 cly.4 bbl.4 speed, a 2006 Montana and I just bought a 1962 Pontiac Tempest Lemans convertable last Friday. All nice cars. :good: :good: :good:

PS: that was a 2001 S-10 pickup RS.
                  Oh and I forgot my 1958 Pontiac Bonneville Tri-power. :yes: :yes:
                  If it feels good - do it!

Comment

Had a Grand Prix once - it was crap and customer service sucked. I made a promise that I never will buy another Pontiac again. I guess 'The Messiah' is going to make sure I'm not a lier.

Comment

What I don't get is why GM doesn't cut the GMC line of trucks, everything in that line is duplicated in the Chevy line. That said, however, I also think that the GMC truck has more curb appeal than the Chevy's. just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Shox151
                        What I don't get is why GM doesn't cut the GMC line of trucks, everything in that line is duplicated in the Chevy line. That said, however, I also think that the GMC truck has more curb appeal than the Chevy's. just my 2 cents
                        Ditto! :good: :good:

Comment

Here were my first seven cars:
                          82 Pontiac J2000
                          91 Pontiac Sunbird
                          97 Grand Prix GT
                          98 Grand Prix GT
                          00 Grand Prix GTP
                          01 Grand Prix GTP
                          05 Bonneville GXP

Yeah I'm sad to see it go but I can understand why. GM totally lost Pontiac's direction from the "performance" line and just made it a dupe of everything Chevy made. The GTO was a bust, the Solstice hasn't been well rec'd (and is the 3rd or 4th best option in its niche) and the G8 while a sharp car is priced to where it can't compete with the other cars in its range. Pontiac's been known for poor build quality for years (the plastic interior really was almost a joke). Add in that GM totally sat on their hands and got out-manuevered while they rode the truck & SUV market to death, and ultimately Pontiac, its dealers and employees have to pay.

They did at least say "shuttered" whereas the others will be sold or closed, so hopefully there's a chance to bring it back later.

One interesting thing to note, the GM CEO the govt forced out still has in his contract to get a $20 mil golden parachute coming up here pretty soon. Had GM gone through Ch. 11 that would have been discharged, so you have to wonder how many others there are like that, and if that's why they're really fighting bankruptcy as hard as they are? I hope the govt. will tear up that contract though, otherwise its going to be our taxes paying his $20 mil retirement...

Comment

Favorite Pontiacs

My all time favorite cars I've owned were my '57 Star Chief (silver and black) and my '62 Tempest LeMans. I had a '66 LeMans too, but it was a lemon.

Comment

I can't believe it! Of all the people who posted on this topic, none of you owned a Fiero? Those things were everywhere back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X