University of Wichita "Wichita Shockers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Wichita "Wichita Shockers"

I ran across an interesting discussion on a couple of different message boards and wanted to get Shocker nation's take. I am a big proponet of changing from Wichita State University to University of Wichita as I believe it represents the school mission's better and puts us in the same name category as our piers. (Houston, Louisville, Cincinatti, Tulsa, Memphis etc...) Anyways here are the links and a copy of the discussions.

A number of larger universities have re-branded themselves in the last 20-30 years to very good effect. Memphis State became the University of Memphis. North Texas State University became the University of North Texas. Southwest Texas State became Texas State. Southwestern Missouri is now Missouri State. Southeastern Louisiana tried to become the university of Louisiana, but was thwarted by the State legislature.

I think naming is a way that a school can (relatively) quickly buck the system and change the impression, focus, and general direction of the University and affect positive change.

I know a lot of posters on this site ridiculed Missou State when they changed the name saying that no one would ever judge them beyond what they started out to be. I don't think this is the case. When you take into account that, including slackers, a university turns over it's enrollment ever 5 years or so, and that young people discover universities maybe 10 years before they go to college at most, Missou State will effectively be established as the "state" school in Missou by say 2012 or so, despite academics' protests. They have effectively leapfrogged UMKC and UMSTL --- former equivalent schools.

I do understand that technically a land grant flagship is almost always going to be a better school that some johnny come lately, because they are more established and have greater resources sunk into them over a long period of time, but by the same token there appears to be a pecking order based on names.

(In all of the examples below, "X" refers to the name of the state.)

1) Tier 1 - the "University of X" --- generally the best a state has to offer. Generally the flagship, although there are exceptions (Ohio State and LSU are flagships of their states and A&M shares the flagship designation in Texas.). Now to be clear of my point, officially, UT is the "University of Texas at Austin", but in practice anyone you mention the University of Texas to is not going to ask "Did you mean UT Austin or UT Dallas?" UT Austin owns the UT name --- UT Dallas, UTEP, UT- Arlington, UTSA and others just borrow it. They are just trying to soak up some of that good name to gain legitimacy. (I do recognize that all are in the UT system and that is the stated reason behind it's use. I just don't think that is the honest point of it in this day.)

2) Tier 2 - "X State University" --- in most states the largest State university is designated "X State". Sometimes their academics are just shy of the University school of the state. Sometimes thy are way off. There are exceptions. Some states have #2 public schools that are Techs or A&Ms (Georgia Tech, Louisiana Tech) instead of a well developed "X State" school.

3) Tier 3 - "X Tech" and "X A&M" schools --- this can be a real hit or miss category. A lot of states have tiny A&M schools or tech schools that would rank as a tier 7 school, but a well sized Tech or A&M gets pretty good attention.

4) Tier 4 - "(Major City) University" or "University of (Major City)" --- Large schools designed to serve a major metro area can differentiate themselves from smaller state schools by adopting the city name. Often they are referred to just by the city name. As I mentioned earlier, schools like Cinnci and Houston, have been joined by Memphis. This technique really only seems to have positive results when the city and university are large.

5) Tier 5 "North/South/West/East/Central X University" or "University of North/South/West/East/Central X" - Unidirectional Schools. I think these schools are on the rise in terms of esteem. I think we will soon see a day when lower tier 2, and all of larger Tier 4, and larger Tier 5 occupy effectively the same tier behind the flagships and really elite state, tech, & A&M schools. UNT, S. Illinois are good examples.

6) Tier 6 - "(Major City) State University" - This is a state University in a major city that refuses to escape from the shadow of the state school or is not legislatively allowed to do so.

7) Tier 7 - "NW/SE/NE/SW X University" or "University of NW/SE/NE/SW X" and "(Name) State University" and "(Minor City) State University" and "(Minor City/name/whatever) A&M University" and "University of X - (city)" - Almost all of these universities are small time. They are either designed to serve a very small region of a state or are trying to borrow legitimacy from a system of schools or a flagship. NW Louisiana. Sam Houston State University. West Texas A&M. UT-Tyler. UL-Monroe is technically not that, but might as well be.

I think it a name change on a small school is often like putting lipstick on a pig. It is still a pig.

But a name change on a larger school --- say 15K to 30K or more can dramatically affect a university, changing the long term direction of the university, the focus of student recruitment, and nationwide public perception.

When Texas State dropped the Bi-directional prefix from their name successfully, the size of the university and its political weight in the state started to become apparent. This will lead Texas State to be seen as a player in the state and become a recognized national name within a couple generations.

When UNT dropped the "state" from their name, I would argue they moved from one of an endless number of faceless state schools to the dominant public school for the North region.

When Memphis State dropped the state designation from their name, i would argue that they embraced the identity of the city like Houston rather than just being one of a million "(city) State" schools. It is a little like graduating from the need to have the state's state University system propping you up.

Utah Valley State College is smartly shortening their name when they become a full university this year. Utah Valley University is not a bad choice when you consider what is already taken. Shorter is usually better.

I think there are a number of schools that would profit from re-branding. Here are some I would argue in my region. many of these might get resistance from the state system, but some might not.

NW Louisiana and SE Louisiana --- these are both schools that might one day grow into FBS candidates. They would be smart to re-brand their schools now that SW and NE Louisiana have re-branded as ULL and ULM. They probably would not get resistance. The Universities of North Louisiana and South Louisiana would brand to appeal to the northern and southern halves of the state and both schools could see some quick growth and positive direction change from that re-branding.

Metropolitan University might strongly consider renaming itself as Denver Metropolitan University or Denver U. I think they hurt their enrollment and public perception by not cluing anyone in on where they are based. Not having Denver in the name would be especially unhelpful if they ever looked to do sports seriously.

UTEP and UTSA might seriously consider renaming their universities. It would be worth it to fight the system to allow them to drop UT from their names. UTEP could be Texas Western again or El Paso University. UTSA could be the San Antonio University. I think re-branding could really help underscore their similarities to Universities like Houston and Memphis --- or barring that UNT (I am only saying it would help.) and would also set them apart as major independent universities serving major cities and not the satellite university riff-raff.

UT-Arlington baffles me. They would be a 1000 times more successful and well known as Dallas/Forth Worth University (DFW U). I think most people in the Metroplex don't even know that they are by far the second largest university in the DFW Metroplex. They are an enormous university located halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth. At 25K or 26K, they are not far behind UNT in enrollment ---technically part of the metroplex, but to the north.

Sam Houston State University and Stephen F. Austin State University should Join Lamar in not having a "state" in their names. These are tribute schools that sound like independent elite liberal art schools. Putting "state" in their names, just lessens them to the level of the other small Texas satellite schools. That is hardly a tribute.

UALR might consider becoming Little Rock University. They would parallel Memphis well and the name change would amount to a big jump in the food change raising them above being an equal to UA-Fort Smith as a cookie cutter satellite of U. of Arkansas, for example.

Wichita State might chose Wichita University. Cleveland State might consider the University of Cleveland to parallel U of Cinnci. IUPUI would be smart to fight to be Indianapolis University.

Other universities?

I've always been for dropping the State. Not sure it'll ever happen though.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

someone please summarize.
      Im not good enough to get into any of the before mentioned schools so I have to attend a lowly community college.

j/k Sure lets drop the state and stick with The University of Wichita.

Ill miss the WSU logo as i think its a pretty good one. But Ill feel hipper calling us U Dub

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
        U Dub
        That's always made me feel good 8)
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Will always be WSU to me!
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I don't like the idea of dropping the "State" from Wichita State.

First off, I think "Wichita State Shockers" sounds better than "Wichita Shockers." The alternative to this would be invoking our "full" name and be called the Wichita Wheatshockers (as it retains the alliterative element). However, this goes against the desire to drop our agricultural image... and I prefer Wichita State Shockers to either of the options.

Secondly, dropping the "State" would lead to WSU and its teams being more colloquially referred to as "Wichita." This overall is not bad, but since Memphis is the prototype that is most commonly presented, I'll use it myself: Memphis is called Memphis in the national media because their mascot is boring. Wu Shock is amongst the most unique collegiate mascots out there, and I would rather have a clunky name like Wichita State that gets the talking heads to want to call us the Shockers or Shox.

This is a little something that makes WSU different and could stick in the minds of those watching ESPN in the near future like the "Zags" nickname of Gonzaga. I think the possibility of leaving our mark on the national stage using a part of our university's assets and heritage is a more attractive option than changing out name to appear more mainstream.

Comment

With a name like the Shockers, dropping the State wouldn't keep people from referring to us as the Shockers or Shox. I don't think the State has anything to do with that.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I like the idea of dropping "state."

There is something in the name of a University, which is why the schools mentioned above have made changes.

Except for major land grant institutions (K-State, Michigan State, Iowa State) there aren't very many high profile schools with "State" in their name.

Boise State, maybe?

Comment

Yup, the best name change when it comes to WSU sports was dropping the wheat and becoming The Shockers. I like Wichita State but never gave it the thought Shockerman has. Thanks for the Shockerman.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

I'm not sure I like it... would have to change my screen name. :cry:
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Notice, there is less emphasis on state. :D
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

:lol:
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Bump.

We are truly in the depths of the offseason!

After the move to the AAC, I keep thinking about the name change possiblity. The more I think about it, the more I want it to happen.

I know some won’t like it or are not the biggest fans of the idea, but I think it makes perfect sense. What say you?
                          The Assman

Comment

Change it!
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

This is begging for a poll. Here it is: https://shockernet.net/forum/miscell...te-name-change
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X