Sebelius Owes Backs Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebelius Owes Backs Taxes

Syndicated news and opinion website providing continuously updated headlines to top news and analysis sources.

She decided the time would be right to fix some of here "unintentional" errors in her taxes. She now owes 7,000 in back taxes.

Sebelius' erros stemmed from insufficient documentation of charitable donations and mistakes in deducting mortgage interest. In other words she is a cheater.

Surprise Surprise Surprise
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I knew I didn't like that woman! :(
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I suppose that your guys tax returns are squeaky clean and you have had the IRS go over your returns with a fine tooth comb and they found nothing amiss. That is not hard to do if you never make enough to owe any substantial taxes. Still my 80 year old father had to pay some additional taxes and a penalty because of some error with his retirement accounts. I have always been on the conservative side of things but still I would think that if someone looked at my tax returns they may find something amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by engrshock
          I suppose that your guys tax returns are squeaky clean and you have had the IRS go over your returns with a fine tooth comb and they found nothing amiss. That is not hard to do if you never make enough to owe any substantial taxes. Still my 80 year old father had to pay some additional taxes and a penalty because of some error with his retirement accounts. I have always been on the conservative side of things but still I would think that if someone looked at my tax returns they may find something amiss.

:good:

Believe me you have hit the nail on the head here. Anyone who has a complex tax return runs this risk. I worked for a CPA who was rated as one of this countries top 100 tax experts by Money mag. All we did was high dollar returns, cant think of to many that were ever clear cut. It was a great experience and helped in my future business exploits 8)
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I think you have a fair point although I would not personally fear an audit by the IRS. However, this does nothing to dispel the stereotype about liberals and taxes. :)

Comment

I must admit I probably don't understand the struggles that some might have with taxes and probably don't have enough sympathy because my situation is pretty simple. I get all my form 1099, w2 and receipts from charitable giving, enter it in turbo tax and then I write out a check to the state and then hope I don't have to pay any additional federal tax. Only thing that really can go wrong is I transpose a number.

I could see see if your running a small business how the IRS regulations could give you fits - especially in areas where it is not black or white but shades of grey.

But were not talking rocket scientist issues, were talking errors in deducting chartiable giving and mortgage interest. These are not complex tax issues.

Anybody see a trend here? Politicians sure like raising taxes, but they don't like paying them.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                Anybody see a trend here? Politicians sure like raising taxes, but they don't like paying them.
                :yes:
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

One website actually listed the errors she had and they all look like honest mistakes. For example she had a few charitable contributions where she didn't get a receipt from the charity (required when a donation is over a certain $ amount) thus making them disallowed.

The other issues were business expenses (extremely complicated) and home mortgage interest.

Total she was off was $7000. Pretty good for a politician :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
                    One website actually listed the errors she had and they all look like honest mistakes. For example she had a few charitable contributions where she didn't get a receipt from the charity (required when a donation is over a certain $ amount) thus making them disallowed.

The other issues were business expenses (extremely complicated) and home mortgage interest.

Total she was off was $7000. Pretty good for a politician :)
                    Not bad. And as the nominations keep coming President Obama might just balance the budget. ;-)

Comment

What I cannot figure out is why you guys are surprised by all this. It is not limited to Democrats. It is not even limited to politics and government. Avoiding and dodging taxes is not new. Back in the day when the upper tax rate was some 90% do you really think that anyone making big money paid that? Even though the tax rates went down with the Reagan tax bill it lessened the number loop holes for wage earners and the taxes collected went higher.

Get the latest breaking news, sports, entertainment and obituaries in Providence, RI from The Providence Journal.

Comment

I am sorry but I am not going to read all of those links; but who said anything about being surprised? Nor do I necessarily believe that much should be made of Sebelius’s failure to comprehend our tax code.

What I don’t recall is past administration nominees and potential nominees having similar (and, indeed, multiple) tax “issues”. This is not an exhaustive list but you have, for example, your wonderful Governor Ms. Sebelius ($8,000 short), Tom Daschle ($140,000 short), Timmy “Terrific” Geithner ($48,000 short), Nancy Kelleher (who knows?) and Hilda Solis ($6,400 short). Maybe their nominations were President Obama’s stealthy way of increasing federal tax revenue?

And I do find it deliciously amusing that these are the very same people who consistently, from the mountain top, call for higher and higher taxes on the upper-middle class – often with the proclamation that they themselves are willing to pay additional taxes. It is only “fair” after all. It is not just that our tax code is apparently so convoluted that even our self-proclaimed best and brightest don’t understand it, or that these problems are mere technicalities or oversights, or even that the corrections and repayment seem to only follow after nomination for high government positions.

I’m sorry but I find it terribly ironic when these nominees, who have access to the very best tax lawyers, seem to find a way to avoid paying taxes despite their very vocal position on taxes. Meanwhile, the vast majority of campaign contributions flowing from Wall Street and big business are going to members of the Democratic Party. And to top it all off we have those same members of the Democratic Party ripping Wall Street and corporate America at every available opportunity.

I fear that pretty soon I will come to find: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies; Rivers and seas boiling; Forty years of darkness; Earthquakes, volcanoes; The dead rising from the grave; Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                          I am sorry but I am not going to read all of those links; but who said anything about being surprised? Nor do I necessarily believe that much should be made of Sebelius’s failure to comprehend our tax code.

What I don’t recall is past administration nominees and potential nominees having similar (and, indeed, multiple) tax “issues”. This is not an exhaustive list but you have, for example, your wonderful Governor Ms. Sebelius ($8,000 short), Tom Daschle ($140,000 short), Timmy “Terrific” Geithner ($48,000 short), Nancy Kelleher (who knows?) and Hilda Solis ($6,400 short). Maybe their nominations were President Obama’s stealthy way of increasing federal tax revenue?

And I do find it deliciously amusing that these are the very same people who consistently, from the mountain top, call for higher and higher taxes on the upper-middle class – often with the proclamation that they themselves are willing to pay additional taxes. It is only “fair” after all. It is not just that our tax code is apparently so convoluted that even our self-proclaimed best and brightest don’t understand it, or that these problems are mere technicalities or oversights, or even that the corrections and repayment seem to only follow after nomination for high government positions.

I’m sorry but I find it terribly ironic when these nominees, who have access to the very best tax lawyers, seem to find a way to avoid paying taxes despite their very vocal position on taxes. Meanwhile, the vast majority of campaign contributions flowing from Wall Street and big business are going to members of the Democratic Party. And to top it all off we have those same members of the Democratic Party ripping Wall Street and corporate America at every available opportunity.

I fear that pretty soon I will come to find: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies; Rivers and seas boiling; Forty years of darkness; Earthquakes, volcanoes; The dead rising from the grave; Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
                          :good:

I sometimes wish I had your ability to articulate these matters.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

As mentioned already, it's nothing new...Bush had the same problem with a few of his people. In fact, I'd venture to say many of you pointing fingers have fudged a little on your taxes. Am I saying it's right..hell no!

Comment

Working...
                            X