Bryce Brown to Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCAA waives penalties on Bryce Brown

Bryce Brown has been cleared to play by the NCAA.

Coach Lane Kiffin announced after practice today that the NCAA has waived any penalties against Brown for his involvement with trainer Brian Butler. Butler transported Brown and other athletes on a tour of schools.

Comment

WTF? What kind of kangaroo court is this? They go from 4 games and a significant monetary penalty to nothing just like that? Nothing against Bryce but that makes no sense and leaves a bad impression once again on the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
        ####? What kind of kangaroo court is this? They go from 4 games and a significant monetary penalty to nothing just like that? Nothing against Bryce but that makes no sense and leaves a bad impression once again on the NCAA.
        Think BCS. If this was Boise State or BYU instead of Tennesse, would this be the case?

Comment

This basically came down to how much the players were paying Brian Butler for his training services. Butler was on KGSO this morning and stated that he trained the Brown boys for three years for free before he started training other players in the city and surrounding area.

Once he started training others he started charging for his services including charging to train the Brown brothers. He said that the amount he charged was different for each player and depended on the income level of the player's parents. One can assume from that comment that the Brown brothers payed less for his services that some other players did and that was the NCAA's issue with Bryce's eligibility. Butler submitted all of the information regarding how he charged all of the players that he trained and after the NCAA reviewed this information they cleared Bryce to be eligible.

My main problem with this is why did the NCAA single out Bryce Brown? There were several other athletes that Brian Butler has trained over the past three or four years that have moved on to play Division 1 football. The way the NCAA handles these types of situations is a joke.

Personally I have always had a funny feeling about Brian Butler, but after listening to the guy speak on the radio several times over the past year I honestly do think that he's just trying to help out our local kids. Hopefully this ruling by the NCAA will allow Mr. Butler to keep on helping out kids in our community.

Comment

I bet the NCAA is so upset with this that they will put Cleveland State on probation. ;-)

Comment

The first game of Bryce's collegiate career is in the books and his stat line wasn't too shabby:

ATT: 11
              YDS: 104
              AVG: 9.5
              LNG: 34
              TDS: 1 (2 yds)

Box score for the Tennessee Volunteers vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers NCAAF game from September 5, 2009 on ESPN. Includes all passing, rushing and receiving stats.

Comment

that isnt no lie, the kid is very talented. That is a heck of a college debut
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

It was a good debut.

It'll be a bit more interesting to see how he fairs against actual SEC competition.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                  X