Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East is in the news

Quotes from the linked article ...

"It amazes me. This went through all the channels, and the pilot project, and nobody caught it," said Denny, a former English teacher.
    It doesn't surprise me one bit that the error slipped through.

#1) Spelling and grammar are a dying art below college level. Many teachers refuse at the elementary level to even correct spelling and that irks me to no end. I have been to the mat with 3 teachers in the last few years who let spelling errors go. Bad spelling reflects poorly on teachers, students, and everyone.

#2) Computer spell checkers have become a huge crutch - if a document passes through a spell checker it is assumed to be correct - grammar and usage be damned.

He and Fry shared a laugh over the test error. It reminded them of a book the class read recently -- Thomas C. Foster's "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" -- in which Foster proclaims, "Irony trumps everything."
    Knowing Jenny Fry personally, I can picture her fully enjoying the wry humor in an error like this appearing on a state writing assessment.

Kudos to the young man for catching and reporting the error.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

you know mrs. fry?

Comment

My English teacher pointed out that error to us this past week while we were taking the assessment. It's funny to see that it has made the news.

Comment

Working...
        X