Clear All

• Topeka Hayden beats Manhattan 18-15 in OT

It was 2-1 at halftime.
    What a joke.

Hayden's patience key in OT victory
    By Cole Manbeck
    The Capital-Journal
    Published Saturday, January 10, 2009
    MANHATTAN — Patience is a virtue. It certainly was for fans of the Hayden and Manhattan players Friday night.

It was a thriller in so many ways. Odd, considering a mere three points were scored in the first half.

Manhattan, the last team to defeat Hayden, tried to implement a new strategy to knock down the defending 4A state champs, and it nearly worked.

But the Wildcats were able to escape late from Manhattan's stall attempt with an 18-15 overtime victory against the Indians.

"They didn't stop believing," Hayden coach Ted Schuler said. "They bought in and executed the plays that we called on the timeouts. We didn't score, but we went to the free throw line. They just executed down the stretch and they never stopped believing they could get it done."

Hayden grabbed the jump ball in overtime and scored within 30 seconds on a Jeff Reid basket, the first field goal of the game for the Division I St. Louis signee.

Manhattan stalled the next three minutes and Indian guard Colton Rohr went to the free throw line to try and tie the game after driving to the basket and getting fouled with 6.5 seconds remaining.

Rohr made the first of a one-and-one, but the second attempt hit the back iron and was boarded by Reid to all but seal the victory. Reid hit a pair of free throws to put the Wildcats ahead by three with 3.6 seconds remaining.

The Manhattan inbounds pass was stolen by T.J. McGreevy, who dribbled out the remaining three seconds.

It didn't look to be a low-scoring affair when Hayden won the opening tip and scored on a McGreevy layup two seconds into the game.

Little did Hayden know it would be the last points it scored in the half as Manhattan held the ball for almost 15 minutes in the first half. The Wildcats led 2-1, with each team only attempting two field goals.

The Indians built their largest lead of the game at 12-7 with 3:03 remaining on an Alex Reed three-point play.

But Hayden tied the game at 14 with 25 seconds remaining on a pair of free throws by 6-foot-9 center Sam Hund.

Schuler said the slow pace took away the strengths of his team.

"It's very difficult to just go out there and stand there because you don't feel like you're playing the game of basketball," he said. "I give their kids (Manhattan) a lot of credit and their coach a lot of credit because he gave them a chance to win."

Schuler said he wasn't angry about the style of play Manhattan coach Tim Brooks employed.

"He had to do what he felt gave his team the best opportunity to win because this is about wins and losses," Schuler said, "and he almost pulled it off."

Reid led all scorers with six points.

HAYDEN BOYS 18, MANHATTAN 15, OT

Hayden 2 0 4 8 4 — 18

Manhattan 0 1 2 11 1 — 15

Hayden (6-0, 3-0) — Walker 1-3 0-0 3, Reid 1-4 4-4 6, McGreevy 1-3 2-4 4, Hund 0-1 3-4 3, Rabe 1-1 0-0 2. Totals 4-12 9-12 18.

Manhattan (3-3, 1-2) — Nelson 2-3 0-0 4, McCarthy 0-1 0-0 0, Hanson 1-1 1-2 3, Reed 1-1 2-4 4, Rohr 1-1 2-3 4. Totals 5-7 5-9 15.

3-point goals — Hayden 1 (Walker), Manhattan (none). Total fouls — Hayden 9, Manhattan 8. Fouled out — none.

Maybe Marshall should try this :D

Comment

It only works if you have no shot clock...which high school is long overdue for.
      Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

That's funny. Best Post in six months.
        :yahoo: :clap: ;-) :D

Comment

Kind of like the first half of the Duke / Florida St. yesterday. It was 19-14 at the half. Brutal!

Comment

No coincidence it involved a team from Manhattan.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane
              It only works if you have no shot clock...which high school is long overdue for.
              I agree.

It's been talked about and I believe experimented with in CA. Funding is an issue though and isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Especially now.

I do think it's something that the Federation would like to do at some point in the future though.

I've seen too many games where tactics like this are used and it's just boring as hell. I saw an OT game a few years ago between Augusta and Buhler where Augusta won the tip and then held for the last shot. They missed and went into 2OT.

I also saw Ark City do something like this to El Dorado when I was in HS. ACs best player got into foul trouble so they took him out and then dribbled the ball at half court for 5 minutes before calling a TO to put him back in.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

This game reminds me of the Jack Hartman--K-State days. Yikes!! Now that was a blast from the past. Let's indeed be glad for the shot clock in College Basketball.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                  This game reminds me of the Jack Hartman--K-State days. Yikes!! Now that was a blast from the past. Let's indeed be glad for the shot clock in College Basketball.
                  Or the Four corners offense that North Carolina and others in the ACC ran before there was a shot clock.

Comment

Instead of all the clock management, basketball could have went the way soccer and rugby went ... contact allowed! Stalling? Just give him a little "shoulder charge"!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                    X