"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Re: 'Why Believe in a God? Just be Good' Ads Set to Run in D

Originally posted by WstateU
    :roll:
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Why believe in God? Here is one man’s opinion, an essay, for “This I Believe” by William F. Buckley, Jr.

from the This I Believe on NPRRIP Mr Buckley--you changed my life when I was searching for answers.My prayers to his son, family and friends

Comment

Evangelical atheists/humanists. Go figure.

Comment

You can choose not to believe in God if you so wish. However, if you do so I'd recommend against pondering the origin of matter and the original existence of the universe around us. You might blow some brain cells trying to make it all mesh together.

Sincerely,

Whackjob R.B.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            Evangelical atheists/humanists. Go figure.
            That's F'd up :roll:
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

So is their entire existence to convince people that there is no God? Seems kind of pointless, spend your money on something else. Guess they are punching their one way ticket to hell.

Comment

I am not, admittedly, what one would consider a “God” fearing person – for many practical reasons starting from when I was nine years old – yes…nine….I still remember – I walked way from the church – for many a good reason.

Yet, I listen to Buckely in the essay I attached (the first time being when I was in college), and I question my faith, my QUALITY of faith and otherwise………..my inspiration…my own…others, indeed,….what is that? Why is that?

I have come to understand, despite my lack of devotion – so to speak-, that I will defend it and will with a full and complete understanding that I am correct in my convictions – even if so many others, bearing his Name, defile Him– “God fearing” or not.

This I believe.

P.S. And, yes, I know what animadversion means.

Comment

So they believe in Santa but not God?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                    So they believe in Santa but not God?
                    Don't be coy, if you have an opinion.

Comment

I would say that W.F. Buckly's contention that he believes in God because it's easier than not believing is more of an "explanation of why" than a "reason to".

Not sure if I'd call this advertising campaign atheistic missionary work or not.

Choice One: It could be preaching atheism for the most obvious of reasons: that's what it appears to be doing. Of course, when you ask the question "Why?" and come up blank, it indicates the intent might lie with the second choice.

Choice Two: It could be just reaching out to those who don't believe in God and telling them that it's OK, and that believing in a religion doesn't inherently make you any more of a "good person" than being a mechanic does, and if you get depressed during the Holidays because everyone else is happy about something you're not interested in, there are other people out there who feel the same way.

This is not to say there are only two choices, but those are the most obvious ones.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                        I would say that W.F. Buckly's contention that he believes in God because it's easier than not believing is more of an "explanation of why" than a "reason to".

Not sure if I'd call this advertising campaign atheistic missionary work or not.

Choice One: It could be preaching atheism for the most obvious of reasons: that's what it appears to be doing. Of course, when you ask the question "Why?" and come up blank, it indicates the intent might lie with the second choice.

Choice Two: It could be just reaching out to those who don't believe in God and telling them that it's OK, and that believing in a religion doesn't inherently make you any more of a "good person" than being a mechanic does.

This is not to say there are only two choices, but those are the most obvious ones.
                        Think more...and read more...your writing might be more, lets say informed....

This coming from someone who has "left" God.....I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                          Originally posted by rjl

Choice Two: It could be just reaching out to those who don't believe in God and telling them that it's OK, and that believing in a religion doesn't inherently make you any more of a "good person" than being a mechanic does.

Think more...and read more...your writing might be more, lets say informed....

This coming from someone who has "left" God.....I guess.
                          I keep it simple because, at its base level, it's a simple discussion that often gets clouded in battles of presumed intellectuality.
                          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

When I see the signs I see what they are trying to say. And I do agree with the message. Do good because its the good thing to do. It seems simple.
                            Tomany people are going to get caught up with the "believe in god part" and they have a complaint And I will listen.

I dont agree with how they are laying out there message. Im ok with shock advertising. But this is just trying to cause a fight.

And for the record. I have no religious affiliation of anysort. Im pretty much against "organized" religion and feel like a person should explore that by oneself. I believe in a "higher being" of some sort. Whether its God, Buddha, Allah is really inconsequencial to me. But I believe somebody had to create this crazy place we live in. But all of this is subject to another thread.

Comment

I am an Episcopalian/Anglican but I acknowledge this is what works for me; a key component to this demonination is "reason", again it works for me, it may not be "your way" which is fine. As far as religion I guess that's why it's called "faith".

Go Shocks!!!!
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X